08. Gothic Girl
09. Sister Of Charity
10. Framed In Blood
11. Lost Boys
12. I Just Want To Have Something To Do
13. Brandon Lee
+ Making Of "Back In Blood"
+ Dead Girls Are Easy [video]

2009 and the Hollywood.. woops, Helsinki Vampires managed to be Back in Blood as their latest full-length album states. The last release I adored from The 69 Eyes was Devils and I will have to admit that I didn't like Angels, not at all and because this band meant something to me, especially with Paris Kills/Devils, I gave a shot to this effort.

To tell the truth, I can't say I loved Back in Blood, I didn't hate it either, mixed feelings, I enjoyed it more than Angels, still mediocre though. Maybe it works live well, but it's the album i judge. I don't think that my reviewing statement will have an effect on their successful career, they'll keep on making high-selling albums, their oh so many fans will keep on filling their live events and they'll always be a top name in this so called goth 'n' roll sub-genre which found a first expression through The Cult and the exact sound on The Sisters Of Mercy's Vision Thing.

Since Angels one could say they emphasize more on the 'roll' part rather than the 'goth' one. For example, “We Own The Night” which reminds a bit of The Cult's "Fire Woman", the title-track (with a Backyard Babies sense?), “The Good The Bad And The Undead” which sounds like modern Mötley Crüe, “Suspiria Snow White” and “Dead Girls Are Easy” having a dynamic air as well, some might find the title amusing, not me. And a question, how can dead girls moan?

Back in Blood gives the impression as if it's been an easy ride for them to compose, with the aforementioned songs, some few being a mix of rocking and melodic attitude and some others flowing into more gothic rock oriented soundscapes. Not much of inspiration, at least for me, but definitely in a better shape than their previous release. People that enjoyed Angels won't hesitate finding this one a good album. As for me, the only highlights (with or without quotation marks) I could mention are “Dead N Gone” which refers to the Devils era through a modern, melodic glam air, “Night Watch” (at last a good song!), “Kiss Me Undead”, “Lips Of Blood” and “Some Kind of Magick” (is it just me, or there's a riff in 00:27 reminding of the main riff on The Sisters of Mercy's “Temple of Love”?).

I won't stop paying attention to any album they release in the future until I find once again the beautiful essence of the inspired Blessed Be, the melancholic and emotionally sincere Paris Kills and the diversity of Devils (even the rocking passages there actually… rocked!). Until then and in the absence of inspiration I suppose my opinion won't change drastically.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 09.09.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 56 users
02.10.2010 - 23:00
Rating: 4
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Yeah, with this one they really seemed like they stopped giving a shit. They've almost become a parody band in a way.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.10.2010 - 23:04
Rating: 5
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
Written by Doc G. on 02.10.2010 at 23:00

Yeah, with this one they really seemed like they stopped giving a shit. They've almost become a parody band in a way.

Something like that Actually, they give shit and people buy it
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
08.04.2013 - 23:39
Rasputin
This album was a huge dissapointment for me. I was one of their hardcore fans, and while I was able to overlook the weak "Angels," I was not able to swallow this pill (although when I heard it for the first time I thought I would need a narcotic to even me out). Shallow, empty, pointless and with no energy or passion anymore.
15.05.2013 - 01:57
Olli
I'm gonna go against the grain and say that I really enjoyed this album and rate it is at one of their bests, I think the vocals and guitars are fantastic and extremely catchy; all you could wish for in a goth rock band!
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."

Hits total: 4831 | This month: 15