01. Reset Your Soul
02. Demons Of War
03. Inscrutable
04. The Manhattan Project
05. Request For Redemption
06. The Last Man
07. 1989
08. Toxicyber

Although traditionally viewed as a country rich primarily in death metal, Poland has in recent years estabilished itself as wealthy also in progressive metal of all kinds. Riverside might be the best known such band; however, there are many more fish in this particular pond and the hungry fisherman will definitely catch something that they like. Fans of Dream Theater and Redemption should for example check out Animations and their sophomore disc Reset Your Soul.

Instrumental sections that show off the musicians' talents for no reason do appear here; however, they are not quite as annoying as you might imagine since they tend to mesh with the fast-paced compositions pretty well. With this said, if you fucking hate wankery in music as much as I do, you will have a pretty hard time listening to Reset Your Soul with a straight face. Who the hell cares how nimble some musician's fingers are? Obnoxiously showing that shit off really doesn't impress me or move me in any way, except perhaps to vomit. I want music to somehow inspire me intellectually or stir me emotionally and even a grind band with no conventional intelligence to speak of can do that. It makes no difference to me how many hours musicians spend a day tenderly stroking their... strings. Fancy solos don't suddenly make a shit song smell of roses. Luckily, Animations do manage to sneak some catchy and non-trivial memories into the mix, with a fair amount of emotion being present in the vocals. The best examples of this are "Inscrutable" and "Toxicyber" - both memorable and thoroughly enjoyable songs. The instrumental "The Manhattan Project" is also quite well done. Unfortunately, we also get some sappy bullshit in the form of "Request For Redemtion" and most of the other songs just go on and on for far too long for their own good.

With all this said, Reset Your Soul is not really that bad an album. Sure, Animations clearly take their inspirations very seriously; however, their music is not really a proper rip-off. Instead, this is an above-average prog-metal album with a few songs that show a lot of promise, while the rest are still digestable.

Written on 07.10.2010 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 72 users
07.10.2010 - 21:04
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Listening to it now. Although I used to hold guitar acrobatics in high regards I'll have to admit I'm not as fond of it as I once was nor does it impress me anymore.
One thing that hasn't changed however is how I have a problem with progressive metal's vocals and its melodrama and this is probably why I won't get through half of this album.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
07.10.2010 - 21:34
Ivor
Staff
This is a decent album but the weakest spot are vocals. If anyone's interested, you should try their debut album - that one is fully instrumental. However, that one also has a more direct Dream Theater rip-off feeling to it. I was more fond of this stuff when I discovered it but it seems the initial interest has worn off.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
07.10.2010 - 23:03
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I don't think the vocals are that bad, ive heard much worse.
07.10.2010 - 23:37
Ivor
Staff
Jups, I'm not saying they are the worst, or even the worse kind around. Just in comparison to the first album, it could do better without vocals at all or with different kind of vocals.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
16.10.2010 - 20:57
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I kind of knew I would enjoy it after reading the review, but this is surprisingly good. And maybe because of the negative comments on the vocalist, I wasn't expecting much and he's not bad at all!

Memorable hooks are here and there and drives the music forward unlike some.
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 5108 | This month: 8