Metal Storm logo
Facebook and Twitter Buttons

09.10.2010 - 20:22
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
So, i get pissed whenever i read a review or a news article with the Facebook share button or the twitter tweet thing; those two websites are viral, intruding on other websites and spreading like unstoppable cancer, no website that i have encountered in the past year or so is free from that facebook share button of the twitter 'tweet' thing.
As much as i understand the 'important' role of facebook and twitter in marketeing and better exposing websites, they also have their opposition, me and the old farts being among those. I refuse that our non-conformist metal community gets polluted by such crap. and hereby i'm asking you to vote for the removal of those features, and lets just keep the green 'share' button with everything in it. facebook and twitter ain't THAT special to have two buttons, one in the share and one outside at each page.

what's next? we find a 'login using facebook' button on the home page?

check out the link below to further demonstrate what i'm talking about:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x43/ezz_zombie/mswtf.jpg
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
09.10.2010 - 20:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
Cool story bro.

Yeah, I'm not fond of it either, but why open a whole group on it? And why the comparison to selling out?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
09.10.2010 - 20:29
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Because this is Metalstorm, a METAL community, that is supposed to be non-conformist, rebellious, and free from that 'pop-culture' influence... so, i can't believe we have those buttons in here.. this is the last place i ever expected to become polluted like that with this facebook and twitter diarrhea, i might as well post on justin beiber forums if metalstorm is selling out.
----

09.10.2010 - 20:31
vezzy
Stallmanite
So you're saying this should be a kvlt site that gets no promotion whatsoever?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
09.10.2010 - 20:38
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
If you notice, there is a green share button on the top right of every thread, news, atricle, and review. you can promote through facebook, twitter, myspace, stumbleupon, del.icio.us, and e-mail.
----

09.10.2010 - 21:19
GT
Coffee!!
staff
I'm not a big fan of facebook either but you can't ignore the marketing effect and that's why the buttons are there. Nearly no one used the green share function since it is pretty anonymous.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
09.10.2010 - 21:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Zombie, I promise I will create a Facebook group to support your case
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.10.2010 - 00:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This is not selling out, in that case if you are true die hard metalhead, why you use metal archives? Inyternet, go to bars, gigs buy records, never use cell pfone and internet . Than you be pure and true

Many ppl use myspace, fb etc so it means thay are posers?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.10.2010 - 00:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Depends on how you understand the word "poseur"

but in fact i found more "poseurish" to put some "anti-myspace league" banner on black metal band website
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.10.2010 - 01:01
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
While I can imagine that some of you may find the addition of the Facebook & Twitter buttons somewhat strange - we actually expected that - I also find it a bit dumb, to be honest. But maybe that's because I've never seen metal as a 'lifestyle', which is how some people look at it.

Metal to me is music. A genre, a style, a section of music characterized by distorted guitars, fast drums and heavy bass. That's it. Rebellion, non-conformism and other themes stolen from 'anarchy!'-screaming punks aren't part of it in my opinion.

Social Networks are hated by many 'outcasts' of society, the social rejects, which are very present in metal. But why? Because you're scared they're going to do evil things with all your browsing data? Because you don't feel the need to update the whole world you're going to walk your dog? Because you don't have any friends? Well, guess what, using them is entirely optional.

---

I'll keep this topic open for a while, because I'm all up for discussion. Metal Storm is always experimenting (and that brought the site much good) and we are able to recognize mistakes and revoke them. But, I'll only allow serious discussion. Come back with better arguments and not with shit like 'MS is selling out'. We're not selling out. We're a dedicated team of individuals, who run this site in our spare time, unpaid, because we love metal. How's that selling out?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
10.10.2010 - 01:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
We love in 21th century in this case MS are much better how washingtone post, fifa, uefa, guardian whatever portals, wheh I need share news in MS and FB I need coppy link because there is no share optiuns here we have and also many ppl might come and read those shared links

Lucas metal is music but also life style, but I wont discuss it here, we go out of topic but about outcastes even hells angels who proudly say FTW and put 1% patch of honnor on bikes use socal networking sites, so same do we metalheads , even true crusade againts flower metal, who stick to roots Marcel use myspace and facebook, so how it can be sell out?

In that case metal are sell out since i net was born, since metal archives has born, IMO internet, MA, FB, MS , MS Doom-metal.net and such socal networking portals are best for metal ever hepened, it unite us, we see brothers n sister globe wide, its uunite and I dont see anything bad about that share think
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.10.2010 - 01:29
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Well if the term 'selling out' is really that provocative then i appologize to everyone, and i hereby state that im willing to delete this thread and re-post it under a different title name (if its pissing you off that much) ... the whole thing was about the facebook and twitter buttons that are found TWICE on each page, once in the 'share button' and once on their own ... so, there's no use in sticking them right in our faces when they are already existent on the site through a decent 'share' button (that i have no problems against)

so, metal being just music or a lifestyle isn't the case here.. and its not what is intended from the thread, sorry for any misunderstanding.
----

10.10.2010 - 12:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Written by Zombie on 10.10.2010 at 01:29

Well if the term 'selling out' is really that provocative then i appologize to everyone, and i hereby state that im willing to delete this thread and re-post it under a different title name (if its pissing you off that much) ... the whole thing was about the facebook and twitter buttons that are found TWICE on each page, once in the 'share button' and once on their own ... so, there's no use in sticking them right in our faces when they are already existent on the site through a decent 'share' button (that i have no problems against)

so, metal being just music or a lifestyle isn't the case here.. and its not what is intended from the thread, sorry for any misunderstanding.

It didn't piss me off at all, actually. Sorry if my first post came across that way.

I just think the term 'selling out' is very stupid, because it's (become) completely meaningless. A Black metal band selling 10 copies of an album instead of 5 has sold out, a band releasing an album that's slightly 'lighter' than the previous album has sold out, a band releasing a full-length instead of a demo has sold out, everybody and their dog has sold out. You see my point? I do think it's better to have this discussion without using the word, but you can still be as critical as you want. As long as you explain your opinion.

If your only problem is having the buttons on the page twice, and you never meant to argue they should be removed alltogether, then this topic indeed took a wrong turn. I'm not sure if Ivan kept the original buttons in place on purpose or if he simply forgot. You see, they weren't noticed there by anyone, even a few people in the staff never noticed them there. So it's possible he forgot about them.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.11.2010 - 21:16
Luneth
Account deleted
I'm gonna get my pitchfork and torch.
22.11.2010 - 13:19
Ivan
Retired Admin
elite
Written by Lucas on 10.10.2010 at 12:07

If your only problem is having the buttons on the page twice, and you never meant to argue they should be removed alltogether, then this topic indeed took a wrong turn. I'm not sure if Ivan kept the original buttons in place on purpose or if he simply forgot. You see, they weren't noticed there by anyone, even a few people in the staff never noticed them there. So it's possible he forgot about them.

Well, there's little point in removing them from under the share button - they don't take extra space, and can possibly be handy on pages without the other set of buttons (such as this one).