01. Closer To The End
02. Perfectly Defect
03. Sensation Of Guilt
04. Sole Defeat
05. Thieving Bastards
06. Halo Of Arms
07. Impossible To Believe
08. This Absolution

First of all, I'd like to applause this certain move from Mortiis, it's always nice seeing such actions from musicians offering to the audience their work for free when they could release it under a label (Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead for example). Apart from that, it's been a long time since he released something new, without taking into concideration 2007's remix work and I suppose Mortiis' fans have waited too long, henceforth a new and for free album like Perfectly Defect came in handy.

I'm not very fond of Mortiis' work, actually, some people may like it and I have nothing against that, but due to his past with Emperor his later electronic work is a good chance for some metalheads to act open-minded, something like "I like electronic music too, Mortiis' work is very innovative". For some metalheads when something new appears in metal music or a metal band changes sound, they think they own the whole invention, but actually, it has happened before you know. Had metal music not taken elements from other musical maps, it would be dead by now.

Perfectly Defect is not the type of album I'd put in my player very often, not often at all. It consists of 8 compositions and only 3 of them, "Closer To The End", the title-track and "Sensation Of Guilt" present a structured song with vocals, reminding of Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails etc, holding the appealing to the ear essence of the first and moments that bring forth elements from the second. Industrial/alternative rock/metal that has been played before and even if the songs will have something to tell you, they are easily forgettable. As for the rest they move in more instrumental, experimental electronic corridors that sound like a well-produced, light-hearted, game boy version of This Morn Omina. "Thieving Bastards" even reminds of Prodigy. Something of no importance to me, since I don't intend to listen to them again.

I'm not pleased, only the first 2-3 songs had something to say, tomorrow though, I won't even remember a single tune from Perfectly Defect. Mortiis fans might enjoy it, as for me, there are loads and loads of electronic works from synth-pop to power electronics that have a whole lot to say than Mortiis' poor offering, despite his kind move.

Lowlights: "Closer To The End", "Perfectly Defect", "Sensation Of Guilt", "This Absolution."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written on 10.10.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 33   Visited by: 305 users
13.10.2010 - 14:41
s_t_s
Hmm since this was free, I downloaded the full album. I listened to it but it didn't take long before I decided to delete it all
01.12.2010 - 18:12
VPeter
Despite being a Mortiis fan, I kinda agree with this review. There is plenty of experimenting going on in this album but it never becoems something solid. I find a 4 a bit to harsh I would probably give it a 6 but not higher.
23.12.2010 - 10:49
Rating: 6
Cyroth
Not all bad...not metal...
----

Hits total: 8176 | This month: 9