01. Closer To The End
02. Perfectly Defect
03. Sensation Of Guilt
04. Sole Defeat
05. Thieving Bastards
06. Halo Of Arms
07. Impossible To Believe
08. This Absolution

First of all, I'd like to applause this certain move from Mortiis, it's always nice seeing such actions from musicians offering to the audience their work for free when they could release it under a label (Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead for example). Apart from that, it's been a long time since he released something new, without taking into concideration 2007's remix work and I suppose Mortiis' fans have waited too long, henceforth a new and for free album like Perfectly Defect came in handy.

I'm not very fond of Mortiis' work, actually, some people may like it and I have nothing against that, but due to his past with Emperor his later electronic work is a good chance for some metalheads to act open-minded, something like "I like electronic music too, Mortiis' work is very innovative". For some metalheads when something new appears in metal music or a metal band changes sound, they think they own the whole invention, but actually, it has happened before you know. Had metal music not taken elements from other musical maps, it would be dead by now.

Perfectly Defect is not the type of album I'd put in my player very often, not often at all. It consists of 8 compositions and only 3 of them, "Closer To The End", the title-track and "Sensation Of Guilt" present a structured song with vocals, reminding of Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails etc, holding the appealing to the ear essence of the first and moments that bring forth elements from the second. Industrial/alternative rock/metal that has been played before and even if the songs will have something to tell you, they are easily forgettable. As for the rest they move in more instrumental, experimental electronic corridors that sound like a well-produced, light-hearted, game boy version of This Morn Omina. "Thieving Bastards" even reminds of Prodigy. Something of no importance to me, since I don't intend to listen to them again.

I'm not pleased, only the first 2-3 songs had something to say, tomorrow though, I won't even remember a single tune from Perfectly Defect. Mortiis fans might enjoy it, as for me, there are loads and loads of electronic works from synth-pop to power electronics that have a whole lot to say than Mortiis' poor offering, despite his kind move.

Lowlights: "Closer To The End", "Perfectly Defect", "Sensation Of Guilt", "This Absolution."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 5
Production: 8

Written on 10.10.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 305 users
10.10.2010 - 18:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Agreed on the rating...some moments sound almost nice, but the overall impression is just "wtf?"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

10.10.2010 - 19:39
vezzy
Stallmanite
So, now we know why it's free.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.10.2010 - 19:40
Rating: 4
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
10.10.2010 - 20:01
advent
Written by vezzy on 10.10.2010 at 19:39

10.10.2010 - 20:51
Bond Of Blood
Account deleted
What a disappointing release.
10.10.2010 - 20:57
Jon
No wonder. It's the leftover bits from the upcoming album released for free to get goodwill and publicity. Sneaky bastard! What he should have done is release it in an 8-bit version.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
10.10.2010 - 21:47
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Hmm, I dl'ed it yesterday, haven't gotten around to listening to it but if most of it is instrumental eloctronic compositions, some similar to prodigy, then it sounds extremely interesting.

Edit: Just listened to it, this album blows. I'd much rather listen to a myriad of other electronic artists. Also, the vocals on the first three songs are terrible.
10.10.2010 - 22:09
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Never heard of the work lowlights before lol
----
loves 小巫
10.10.2010 - 22:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
This sounds pretty disgusting. Too bad - looks like this is one to add to the avoid list.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.10.2010 - 23:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Will probably still check this out, have a weird thing for Mortiis.
10.10.2010 - 23:49
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
Written by Guest on 10.10.2010 at 23:39

Mortiis has a weird thing for us all as well
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
10.10.2010 - 23:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by KwonVerge on 10.10.2010 at 23:49

Written by Guest on 10.10.2010 at 23:39

Mortiis has a weird thing for us all as well

Now that I can believe
11.10.2010 - 02:42
Baz Anderson
staff
This is on my desktop waiting to be listened to, but it has to be said that using words like "I'm not very fond of Mortiis' work..." and "Perfectly Defect is not the type of album I'd put in my player very often..." - greatly reduces the credibility and integrity of your opinion. How valid is this review, when you've just said these things?

Maybe I won't like it either, but at least I do like his previous stuff.
11.10.2010 - 09:52
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by advent on 10.10.2010 at 20:01

----
Coldgrits
11.10.2010 - 10:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Baz Anderson on 11.10.2010 at 02:42

This is on my desktop waiting to be listened to, but it has to be said that using words like "I'm not very fond of Mortiis' work..." and "Perfectly Defect is not the type of album I'd put in my player very often..." - greatly reduces the credibility and integrity of your opinion. How valid is this review, when you've just said these things?

Maybe I won't like it either, but at least I do like his previous stuff.

this is but a "danger" for every reviewer, isnt it? or is it always possible to review only stuff you like?
----

11.10.2010 - 11:35
Baz Anderson
staff
Written by Ellrohir on 11.10.2010 at 10:46

this is but a "danger" for every reviewer, isnt it? or is it always possible to review only stuff you like?

It's not a case of only reviewing stuff you like, of course that's a stupid idea. But the reviewer needs to have the capacity to appreciate the music at least.
11.10.2010 - 12:44
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
When i say i'm not very fond, i just say the truth, but had i liked this album, i wouldn't have buried it.
When i say that it's not the type of album blablabla, this comes from the fact that i didn't like it, after i listened to it.
I concider my words sincere and i know what i'm talking about, concerning the album. Of course someone might like it and it's fine with me, but these are my thoughts on the album and i wrote them down, despite being not very fond of his work, after all he lacks the electro thingie. And i appreciate music a lot, believe me, but if there is not much of music inside an album, what can i appreciate? Anyway, i consider my thoughts on the album sincere and if this album was good, i would have been good at it. End of story.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

11.10.2010 - 14:39
MeTalRea|istiK
Written by advent on 10.10.2010 at 20:01

11.10.2010 - 14:49
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.10.2010 at 22:11

This sounds pretty disgusting. Too bad - looks like this is one to add to the avoid list.

My same thoughts.
11.10.2010 - 15:58
Baz Anderson
staff
Sincerity doesn't change how valid an opinion is though.

I could have a sincere opinion about an Opeth album, but I'm not very fond of their work and isn't what I usually what I put in my player... so would that opinion really mean anything to anyone?

Regardless... I listened to the album today, and wasn't exactly impressed...
I'm not saying the review is wrong, just that saying things like that within the review reduces its credibility...
11.10.2010 - 16:13
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
My statements concerning the sound of this album were pretty much to the point of what the album presents or whether it is good or bad, i wanted to state though that i'm not very fond of his work, without this meaning that i would have buried the album had it been good. Maybe we see it somehow differently.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

11.10.2010 - 16:26
Jon
My general rule is that as long as you can appreciate the sort of music being played to some extent, it's fair game for a review. So I have written some fairly negative reviews for melodeath bands as I think I know what good melodeath should sound like (Kalmah, early Nightrage, etc) EVEN THOUGH it's not a genre I put in my CD player often. whereas if I were to review a grindcore album I'd just end up listing all the things I find loathsome about the genre. So I don't. My two cents.

I notice from the amount of feedback that, no matter how ridiculously bad a piece of music is repeatedly said to be, people will download it just because it's free. I suppose that was the only way anyone was going to hear this little electronic abortion!
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
11.10.2010 - 17:08
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am currently listening to one man band called Appalachian Winter...all his 3 albums are for free (and he is even warning people not to pay anything for his music ever) and it is quality ambient bm...but obviously only a few people will know it, while hyped Mortiis will be downloaded by masses...
----

11.10.2010 - 17:46
Jon
My favourite is Torture Division. They even tell people to burn their CDs, draw some cover art and sell them on, and if they manage to sell any, spend the money on beer. Legends.
----
11.10.2010 - 17:49
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
Written by Jon on 11.10.2010 at 17:46

My favourite is Torture Division. They even tell people to burn their CDs, draw some cover art and sell them on, and if they manage to sell any, spend the money on beer. Legends.

now that's awesome!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

11.10.2010 - 18:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I have two works by them downloaded, but this trivia is quite new for me
----

12.10.2010 - 00:49
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
Written by Ellrohir on 11.10.2010 at 18:24

I have two works by them downloaded, but this trivia is quite new for me

You can start selling it, it's never too late
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

12.10.2010 - 00:51
KwonVerge
Odysseus
elite
And now that i've drunk 6 big beers, i'd never change a single thing from this review, i'm proud of it, it's one of my 'write-it-down' children and it's objective through its subjectivity.

EDIT.
A review is an opinion and if i liked Perfectly Defect the review would have been positive. I don't regret a single word from it, i listen to music, i love music and i write my positive or negative thoughts, i am as accurate as myself can be. End of story.-
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

12.10.2010 - 10:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I also dont really see the problem that Baz is describing...
----

13.10.2010 - 05:49
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
At first I hated it, but this trip-hop kind of grew on me after awhile. Makes me think of strange cell-shaded dystopias.

Hits total: 8177 | This month: 10