Original post

Posted by Zombie, 11.10.2010 - 15:16
Old thread locked, new thread here.
resume the discussion
21.01.2022 - 15:02
Ivy Patterns

Written by Roman Doez on 20.01.2022 at 17:57

Written by Ivy Patterns on 20.01.2022 at 04:22

I am basically an agnostic but I'd like to point out two things about Christians

1. Some of the fakest, most arrogant, selfish people I've ever met called themselves Christians

2. Some of the purest, humble, gentle, and caring people I've met are Christians

I've learned to be very cautious when it comes to stereotyping

Religion doesn't define a person's entire personality, much like heir favorite film doesn't or their political beliefs don't either. Humans are complicated individuals and only knowing about one of their facets usually doesn't mean much.
(also unrelated but the answer to the dilemma in your profile pic is 1 because sqrt(x^2) = |x| and |-1|=1)

Agreed in regards to personalities. The same can be said of atheists or any other belief system. But I would caution equating personality with integrity and character. I do tend to see a correlation between integrity/character and beliefs.

Here's something to consider mathematically: sqrt(x^2) = (x^2)^(1/2) = x^1 = x

I am a math teacher and give this to my students quite often and enjoy listening to them debate and think it through.
21.01.2022 - 15:07
Ivy Patterns

Written by Karlabos on 20.01.2022 at 20:11

Written by RaduP on 20.01.2022 at 20:04

I... I think we should go back to the Christianity topic and leave the maths for the math topic.

Does anybody know if I can find a bible that also includes non canonical stuff like Enoch and all those apocrypha?

Wait... There's a math topic?

Funny that you say that. I recall catholic bibles having more extra stuff than the bibles the protestant. I wonder why is that? I don't think you could easily find physicals with the additional books that were removed centuries aog, tho. Best you can probably do is finding it online

I think you can find Catholic Bibles on eBay or Amazon, which include the Apocrypha. One of my high school friends had one in her home. I think the extra books were at the end as sort of a footnote.

I think in one of the non-canon books when Jesus was a little boy he cast spells on the kids that were trying to bully him.
21.01.2022 - 19:10
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by F3ynman2000 on 21.01.2022 at 09:43

Yo, you should study physics! We use vector spaces all the time, especially in quantum mechanics - it simplifies things a lot.

Couldn't stand physics anymore, stopped doing it, now I study maths and geopolitics!
21.01.2022 - 19:11
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Roman Doez on 21.01.2022 at 19:10

Written by F3ynman2000 on 21.01.2022 at 09:43

Yo, you should study physics! We use vector spaces all the time, especially in quantum mechanics - it simplifies things a lot.

Couldn't stand physics anymore, stopped doing it, now I study maths and geopolitics!

OK, have fun!
24.01.2022 - 21:04
IronAngel

Written by RaduP on 20.01.2022 at 20:04

Does anybody know if I can find a bible that also includes non canonical stuff like Enoch and all those apocrypha?

Catholic and Protestant selections are a little different, although you may find the Apocrypha included in some Protestant editions. Notable books omitted from Luther's canon include Wisdom, Sirach, and Judith. (And the two Maccabees are of historical interest.) Then there's late Jewish and early Christian texts that aren't canonical. These are two different things: something like Enoch did not get included in the early Catholic (i.e. Rome+Constantinople) canon in the first place, although it's in the Ethiopian (and maybe Egyptian Coptic?) canon. Most of the non-canonical gospels, like the gnostic stuff and infancy gospels, were never real contenders for inclusions in the canon.

So problem is that there's no fixed set of "the complete apocryphal books of the Bible" that you're likely to find in a single edition. The best you can probably do is get a critical edition that includes all the apocrypha recognized in the Roman Catholic or, even more inclusive, Eastern Orthodox canon. (Of course Septuagint and Vulgate textual versions also differ, so there's no end to completionism).

Then you should get, separately, collections of translations of Old Testament related (i.e. Jewish) and New Testament apocrypha (often so called although Luther used the Apocrypha to mean those books he demoted to secondary status from the Roman canon). New Testament apocrypha you will probably find split into Gnostic/Dead Sea Scrolls stuff, non-canonical gospels (these are the sexy stuff), and then there's acknowledged early Christian texts were just a little late to the party, namely Didache, Shepard of Hermas, the Epistles of Clement etc.

I can look up some good anthologies later if I remember.