Featured in "Getting Into: Amorphis"

Additional info
Finland: May 25th
Europe: May 27th
North America: June 7th

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Amorphis have to be one of best and at the same time most loved bands from Finland. Actually, the only time they let me down was with Far From The Sun, the last album with Pasi Koskinen behind the microphone. The future of the band in the eyes of their fans was quite uncertain, but Tomy Joutsen came in like an earthquake and blended in a unique way with the rest of the band. Eclipse and Silent Waters prove it. Skyforger was good, just good. A bit more appealing to the common listener, hence the band left behind the grunting vocals to a big extent.

Read more ››
published 15.06.2011 | Comments (31)

Found in 61 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 78   Visited by: 1735 users
12.01.2012 - 17:47
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
From the high "9" of skyforger to the very low "9" of the beginning of times.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
05.02.2012 - 18:09
John Shock

Written by Deadmeat on 12.01.2012 at 17:47

How good is Amorphis is? ...i never listen to this band before and i'd like to try it, by starting with this album...can you or someone describe me what they have done so far? ...
05.02.2012 - 18:33
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by John Shock on 05.02.2012 at 18:09

How good is Amorphis is? ...i never listen to this band before and i'd like to try it, by starting with this album...can you or someone describe me what they have done so far? ...

well if I got right your question: if you like this album go back to back their last 4 albums (till "eclipse"). They are all great. As you go back you'll see that the vocals are a bit more brutal and the sound a bit heavier. These 4 albums are really great with many awesome moments on them. (after listening at those albums and liking them you can go even more back to back)
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
05.02.2012 - 18:37
Rating: 7
Risto
Wandering Midget
I'd like to add this album is probably not the catchiest of the last four. Lead guitars are less prominent here.
05.02.2012 - 19:12
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Risto on 05.02.2012 at 18:37

I'd like to add this album is probably not the catchiest of the last four. Lead guitars are less prominent here.

Yeah, I agree with that. This one is weird - appears awesome, then some songs bore you when they sink in, and then, after a short period of time, you adore everrrrry song. But I still think Skyforger is better - it is more "obviously catchy" and you prefer "hit songs" but it is so majestic and beautiful as a full listen, you hardly ever need anything after that.
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.02.2012 - 19:46
John Shock

Written by Deadmeat on 05.02.2012 at 18:33

Written by John Shock on 05.02.2012 at 18:09

well if I got right your question: if you like this album go back to back their last 4 albums (till "eclipse"). They are all great. As you go back you'll see that the vocals are a bit more brutal and the sound a bit heavier. These 4 albums are really great with many awesome moments on them. (after listening at those albums and liking them you can go even more back to back)

Then i must listen in reverse on their discography? ... from this one to their debut?... is what you recomend? ...
05.02.2012 - 20:37
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by John Shock on 05.02.2012 at 19:46

Then i must listen in reverse on their discography? ... from this one to their debut?... is what you recomend? ...

Not really if you want to hear the essential stuff first. Tales from the Thousand Lakes was a groundbreaking melodeath release and Elegy is another Finnish classic. I'd check out those in addition to the last four.
05.02.2012 - 20:55
John Shock

Written by Risto on 05.02.2012 at 20:37

Written by John Shock on 05.02.2012 at 19:46

Not really if you want to hear the essential stuff first. Tales from the Thousand Lakes was a groundbreaking melodeath release and Elegy is another Finnish classic. I'd check out those in addition to the last four.

How does Amorphis sounds? ... Opeth style? ...experimental stuff?. ..
05.02.2012 - 21:25
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by John Shock on 05.02.2012 at 20:55

Their style has changed a lot during the years but certain kind of experimentation was always there, at least up to when Tomi Joutsen joined. Other prominent elements have always been the traditional Finnish melancholy and Esa Holopainen's quitar melodies, regardless of the genre. I can't really compare them to bands because... they're Amorphis, lol
05.02.2012 - 22:07
John Shock

Written by Risto on 05.02.2012 at 21:25

Written by John Shock on 05.02.2012 at 20:55

Their style has changed a lot during the years but certain kind of experimentation was always there, at least up to when Tomi Joutsen joined. Other prominent elements have always been the traditional Finnish melancholy and Esa Holopainen's quitar melodies, regardless of the genre. I can't really compare them to bands because... they're Amorphis, lol

You feel the passion i know what that is! ... this band could be interesting...i've listened to You I Need and i've enjoyed their sound...interesting melodies here! thanks for you advice! ...
05.03.2012 - 22:05
Rage10000

I love these guys. After being a Metalstorm visitor for the last couple of years, I felt I had to get on here and say thanks for introducing me to this band. I went onto Youtube and watched You I Need and let them run for pretty much the rest of the day. I can't believe I've never heard of them. Classic North American / European Metal divide. Thanks Metalstorm. I've found so much great music because of the MS Awards.
08.04.2012 - 22:22
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Prometheus on 17.08.2011 at 23:00

This comment is full of failure (and by "this", I'm referring to your comment)
09.06.2012 - 23:03
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
It's definitely not bad of an album, I'm glad i picked it up, I enjoyed songs like "Battle for Light", "Three Words", "On A Stranded Shore", "Song of the Sage", "Crack in a Stone", the title track, and the bonus song "Heart's Song" among others. However it's definitely no where near as good as the breathtaking Skyforger (my favorite by the band overall, and I've listened to much of their discography already, so don't ask). How can you dare yawn when listening to a song like "Majestic Beast", "Sampo", or "Course of Fate"?
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.06.2012 - 14:20
Therapy?

Man... finding a digipack edition of this album for a normal price is hard I want it so bad, since it came out! This album is great!
19.06.2012 - 01:16
Therapy?

Written by Guest on 14.06.2012 at 17:42

Written by Therapy? on 14.06.2012 at 14:20

Man... finding a digipack edition of this album for a normal price is hard I want it so bad, since it came out! This album is great!

Don't know if this helps, but here's one: Link

Thanks dude, I appreciate your help but the shipping costs will kill me I've found one on ebay for a reasonable price though. Yay me! Now hopefully it's the right one
27.04.2013 - 01:04
HyperDrifter

Written by Rage10000 on 05.03.2012 at 22:05

I love these guys. After being a Metalstorm visitor for the last couple of years, I felt I had to get on here and say thanks for introducing me to this band. I've found so much great music because of the MS Awards.

+1 - It's actually because of Skyforger winning an MS award I was properly introduced to Amorphis. Before I only knew of 'Into Hiding' because of the Ensiferum cover. One of my favourite bands now, can't believe it took this long to get into them!

Back on topic:

With the exception of Battle For Light, I found the songs on this album very similar to each other. That's not to say they are bad, but it makes listening to the album not so memorable, they still have that Amorphis quailty.
10.07.2015 - 11:50
Rating: 8
musclassia

For some reason I always have this in the back of my head as the 'weakest' Joutsen-era album, or at least the least inspired, and the closest they've flirted with staleness. But then I listen to it and realise that even if there are a couple of their weaker Joutsen songs on here (Three Words, perhaps Escape and You I Need), there's also a bundle of great tracks such as Battle For Light, Mermaid, My Enemy, Song Of The Sage, Soothsayer, On A Stranded Shore and Beginning Of Time, and I decide that any potential dip in quality compared to what came before is negligble compare to other bands. Damn I love how consistently great current Amorphis is
11.10.2017 - 12:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It opens vary promising, emotional album but later it goes a bit overwriting them selves and somehow boring
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 35269 | This month: 48