- Collector's book, including 2 CDs + Blu-ray 12" gatefold LP
- CD jewel case
- Digital download

Recorded at Devasoundz Studios, Athens.
Produced by Peter Tägtgren.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
According to Orthodox Easter, Christ will be resurrected by the end of this specific week, springtime unfolds its wings in a shy way, slowly but steadily, the flowers bloom, the butterflies dance and "The Vampire From Nazareth" is about to be awakened. Well, my dear friends, this is the most appropriate moment of the year for a new Septicflesh album.

Read more ››
published 22.04.2011 | Comments (27)

Found in 126 lists
Top lists

Comments page 10 / 13

Comments: 363   Visited by: 2956 users
14.10.2011 - 20:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2011 at 20:46
But the same could be said abotu "death metal influences"

Anything with growls is death metal nowadays.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 20:56
JD
Account deleted

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 19:25

Written by RockeRoy on 14.10.2011 at 15:10
it's orchestral/symphonic death metal with some black metal influenses

Black metal influences? Like what?

I didn't even see that

Oh I missed that phrase as well. lol
14.10.2011 - 21:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 20:48

Oh yeah I forgot about that
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2011 - 10:54
Rating: 9
RockeRoy

I didn't even see that

Well you are supose to hear it, not see it, maybe thats ur problem. And if u can't hear the death metal influences... i'm sorry.
There are alot more to death metal than old school death metal. i am curious to hear what kind of metal u guys think this is influenced from? power metal?, Heavy metal? thrash metal? Glam rock?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
17.10.2011 - 10:56
RockeRoy

I don't know about you, but i usualy listen to the instruments when trying to define the genre
----

Walk with me in hell
17.10.2011 - 10:59
RockeRoy

Drums, guitar parts. but it's not often. i said "some" black metal influences. i could tell u the parts, but u have to wait until i get home.
----

Walk with me in hell
17.10.2011 - 11:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by RockeRoy on 17.10.2011 at 10:54
Well you are supose to hear it, not see it, maybe thats ur problem.

Firstly he meant he didn't see that you wrote black metal influences in your first post.

Secondly, while death metal has obviously evolved from the old school, this album has very minimal death metal elements (let alone black metal elements); just because Alexi Laiho "growls" doesn't mean CoB is a melodic death metal band.

Lastly, as for what the main influence is here...that would obviously be symphonic metal. Although I recently changed the genre tag to "extreme symphonic" as this isn't exactly as light as a modern Therion release.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.10.2011 - 11:15
RockeRoy
The Undead Keep Dreaming is an example of being ifluenced by black metal
----

Walk with me in hell
17.10.2011 - 11:34
RockeRoy
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.10.2011 at 11:11

Written by RockeRoy on 17.10.2011 at 10:54
Well you are supose to hear it, not see it, maybe thats ur problem.

Firstly he meant he didn't see that you wrote black metal influences in your first post.

Secondly, while death metal has obviously evolved from the old school, this album has very minimal death metal elements (let alone black metal elements); just because Alexi Laiho "growls" doesn't mean CoB is a melodic death metal band.

Lastly, as for what the main influence is here...that would obviously be symphonic metal. Although I recently changed the genre tag to "extreme symphonic" as this isn't exactly as light as a modern Therion release.

ok then i misunderstood him.
If you read my post, i wrote that i didn't define genere's after the vocal, so your Alexi Laiho example is wrongly addressed.
I wonder what kind of metal is "extreme" exactly? if not black metal or death metal?
It's more on the Melodic death metal side and not the Old school death metal side, but Melodic Death metal are also influenced by Old school death metal obviously.
----

Walk with me in hell
17.10.2011 - 12:19
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by RockeRoy on 17.10.2011 at 11:34

I wonder what kind of metal is "extreme" exactly? if not black metal or death metal?
It's more on the Melodic death metal side and not the Old school death metal side, but Melodic Death metal are also influenced by Old school death metal obviously.

That's an interesting question and one I was wondering too, if there really is nothing distinctly black or death in this album, then in what sense is it 'extreme'? Logically if it is extreme it would retain some elements of the band's prior death sound, the vocals in being harsh isn't enough to justify it's 'extremeness'.
Although if you consider other examples where the 'extreme' tag is used it seems to denote some sort of 'heightened' sound. Extreme Power is an example, but this is not 'heightened' in that is some sort of 'more powerful Power metal', it's just a mix of more extreme forms of metal with power metal (usually being melodic death I think).

With that in mind if this album is to be called 'extreme symphonic metal' or whatever it would have to have some elements from either death or black metal, in SepticFlesh's case it would be death.
17.10.2011 - 12:35
RockeRoy
Written by R'Vannith on 17.10.2011 at 12:19

Written by RockeRoy on 17.10.2011 at 11:34

That's an interesting question and one I was wondering too, if there really is nothing distinctly black or death in this album, then in what sense is it 'extreme'? Logically if it is extreme it would retain some elements of the band's prior death sound, the vocals in being harsh isn't enough to justify it's 'extremeness'.
Although if you consider other examples where the 'extreme' tag is used it seems to denote some sort of 'heightened' sound. Extreme Power is an example, but this is not 'heightened' in that is some sort of 'more powerful Power metal', it's just a mix of more extreme forms of metal with power metal (usually being melodic death I think).

With that in mind if this album is to be called 'extreme symphonic metal' or whatever it would have to have some elements from either death or black metal, in SepticFlesh's case it would be death.

I totaly agree with you, an example is wintersun. witch is labled Extreme Power metal on MS, the "extreme" tag here i think is because of the Vocal.
----

Walk with me in hell
17.10.2011 - 12:44
JD
Account deleted

Let me quote this again.
17.10.2011 - 12:47
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Written by RockeRoy on 17.10.2011 at 12:35

I totaly agree with you, an example is wintersun. witch is labled Extreme Power metal on MS, the "extreme" tag here i think is because of the Vocal.

I wouldn't say it's just the vocals which are 'extreme', I still get a slightly 'deathy' sound from the guitars and drum work. I suppose Death metal purists would consider it far too removed from the genre with the obvious focus on the symphonics, which I would agree with to an extent but it still comes off as bearing Death-like elements for me.
17.10.2011 - 12:59
RockeRoy
Quote:
I wouldn't say it's just the vocals which are 'extreme', I still get a slightly 'deathy' sound from the guitars and drum work. I suppose Death metal purists would consider it far too removed from the genre with the obvious focus on the symphonics, which I would agree with to an extent but it still comes off as bearing Death-like elements for me.

I bet your right, i haven't listen to that album very much, just remmember i thought "This is powermetal with extreme vocal"
----

Walk with me in hell
17.10.2011 - 21:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
*continues bitching about a shitty album he doesn't care about*

Nah, just kidding. Seriously though, the extreme factor - as explained - is a matter of a "harsher" sound than your typical symphonic metal band. That's all.
----
18.10.2011 - 13:25
RockeRoy
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.10.2011 at 21:55

*continues bitching about a shitty album he doesn't care about*

Nah, just kidding. Seriously though, the extreme factor - as explained - is a matter of a "harsher" sound than your typical symphonic metal band. That's all.

The Extreme factor is suposed to be Extreme, not a bit "harsher" The Great mass is Extreme not Harsh IMO , Why don't call it Harsh symphonic Metal
----

Walk with me in hell
18.10.2011 - 14:27
RockeRoy
Written by RockeRoy on 17.10.2011 at 11:15

The Undead Keep Dreaming is an example of being ifluenced by black metal

Anyone?
----

Walk with me in hell
18.10.2011 - 21:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
You're the only one who wants to carry on a genre argument about this band. Sorry.
----
21.10.2011 - 12:58
RockeRoy
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.10.2011 at 21:21

You're the only one who wants to carry on a genre argument about this band. Sorry.

Well, first of all you asked me to show u a part that is influenced by black metal. i did! and i bet you listen and understood i was right, then u answer that i am the only one who wants to carry on the genre argument. dunno about you, but i usualy follow up on my promisses.
----

Walk with me in hell
21.10.2011 - 20:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by RockeRoy on 21.10.2011 at 12:58
Well, first of all you asked me to show u a part that is influenced by black metal. i did

In spite of you wanting me to believe you, I didn't find a trace of black metal. I think I listen to enough of the stuff to identify traces of it in other styles of music.
----
22.10.2011 - 14:08
RockeRoy
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 20:40

Written by RockeRoy on 21.10.2011 at 12:58
Well, first of all you asked me to show u a part that is influenced by black metal. i did

In spite of you wanting me to believe you, I didn't find a trace of black metal. I think I listen to enough of the stuff to identify traces of it in other styles of music.

Man i don't want you to belive me, you just made it very clear to everyone what you think about this album, you asked questions and when i answer, you tell me i'm trying to make you belive me?
----

Walk with me in hell
22.10.2011 - 21:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by RockeRoy on 22.10.2011 at 14:08
you asked questions and when i answer, you tell me i'm trying to make you belive me?

I asked you one question about the "black metal influences" almost a week ago. I didn't hear the influences you spoke of, yet you're still discussing the genre. Maybe it's just me but that seems a little desperate.
----
22.10.2011 - 21:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
There is no black metal in this album or anything similar to it, apart from the fact that black metal happens to use guitars and drums and vocals which the music in this album also does.
24.10.2011 - 09:46
RockeRoy
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.10.2011 at 21:30

Written by RockeRoy on 22.10.2011 at 14:08
you asked questions and when i answer, you tell me i'm trying to make you belive me?

I asked you one question about the "black metal influences" almost a week ago. I didn't hear the influences you spoke of, yet you're still discussing the genre. Maybe it's just me but that seems a little desperate.

ok, not everyone is loged on MS 24/7 .. so i have to answer when i'm here.
Anyway.. have a good one!
----

Walk with me in hell
26.10.2011 - 12:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
This band reminds me of Lawrence of Arabia haha, good music though, i'ma catch them live in 3 weeks supporting Amon Amarth and As I Lay Dying, really good line-up tbh
26.10.2011 - 14:18
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by Valentin B on 26.10.2011 at 12:50

i'ma catch them live in 3 weeks

----
27.10.2011 - 09:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by corrupt on 26.10.2011 at 14:18

Written by Valentin B on 26.10.2011 at 12:50

i'ma catch them live in 3 weeks

would it help that the ticket was cheap even for my standards (79 lei - 19 euros)?
28.10.2011 - 12:41
RockeRoy
Thats cheap:)
----

Walk with me in hell
19.11.2011 - 23:55
musicalkaratekid
For me this year's best metal album, and that comes from deep consideration after having listened to it so many times in the last half a year. Everything here works so beautifully though-the brutal blastbeats, the melodic vocals mixed in with the rough vocals, the tumbling heaviness, the beautifully worked symphonies-and upon even further consideration,this album might even get my album of the year. Excellent work.
04.12.2011 - 16:13
heteo
Definitely the best album in 2011. should be no1.. melodic symphonic epic! Septic Flesh has done it, a perfect piece of art from all aspects....

Hits total: 73204 | This month: 98