- Collector's book, including 2 CDs + Blu-ray 12" gatefold LP
- CD jewel case
- Digital download

Recorded at Devasoundz Studios, Athens.
Produced by Peter Tägtgren.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
According to Orthodox Easter, Christ will be resurrected by the end of this specific week, springtime unfolds its wings in a shy way, slowly but steadily, the flowers bloom, the butterflies dance and "The Vampire From Nazareth" is about to be awakened. Well, my dear friends, this is the most appropriate moment of the year for a new Septicflesh album.

Read more ››
published 22.04.2011 | Comments (27)

Found in 126 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 13

Comments: 363   Visited by: 2956 users
15.04.2011 - 13:09
Rating: 9
hamunaptra
Finally the album will be released after two days ! can't wait
15.04.2011 - 13:39
garmling
Account deleted
Leaked...finally \m/

10/10

this is absolute KILLER!!!
15.04.2011 - 13:52
Kenos
Account deleted
Mmmh... This is undoubtedly a good work but I still dislike Sotiris' clean vocals. I always find them a bit out of place (if not irritating) and that's why "Therianthropy" and "Rising" (worst tracks of the album) sound very bland to me, like the previous "Sunlight/Moonlight"... I still prefer the crushing tracks combined with twisted/scaring orchestrations ("Mad Architect", "The Vampire From Nazareth", "Pyramid-God" and others).
15.04.2011 - 15:42
garmling
Account deleted
"Rising" is imo "Narcissus pt.2", and I agree it is the worst song of the album, but it reminds me somehow of Paradise Lost sound, so it's not so bad thing..."Therianthropy" can be dubbed with "Sunlight/Moonlight", but in the core they are very different, but both are very atmospheric...and I love Sotiris vocals on this song...simply haunting...

best tracks on first few listens, hmmm....Mad Architect (orchestration reminds me of Anorexia Nervosa...like some swarming mass), A Great Mass Of Death (lika an Elend song with huge riffs...killer!), Oceans Of Grey, Apocalypse...well all of them are extremely good, except "Rising", but perhaps it will grow on me later, like "Narcissus" did on "Communion"....
15.04.2011 - 16:23
Rating: 10
Absak
Simply amazing! 10/10
15.04.2011 - 17:43
MetalSpider
I heard the whole album! 10/10!!!!

Album of the year for me...beating out Moonsorrow's mighty album!

Still can't wait to get my actual copy! That way I can blast it while driving!!!
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
15.04.2011 - 17:52
MetalSpider
Written by Guest on 15.04.2011 at 15:42

"Rising" is imo "Narcissus pt.2", and I agree it is the worst song of the album, but it reminds me somehow of Paradise Lost sound, so it's not so bad thing..."Therianthropy" can be dubbed with "Sunlight/Moonlight", but in the core they are very different, but both are very atmospheric...and I love Sotiris vocals on this song...simply haunting...

best tracks on first few listens, hmmm....Mad Architect (orchestration reminds me of Anorexia Nervosa...like some swarming mass), A Great Mass Of Death (lika an Elend song with huge riffs...killer!), Oceans Of Grey, Apocalypse...well all of them are extremely good, except "Rising", but perhaps it will grow on me later, like "Narcissus" did on "Communion"....

I agree about Rising...it really is like Narcissus part 2...but I think Rising is better. And I also agree about Therianthropy being like Sunlight/Moonlight.

Both Rising and Therianthropy are great songs! but for me the weakest on the album! I never really like Sotiris vocals, but they work well on some of the songs. However, this is only after one listen through. My opinion on those 2 songs might change.

Despite that...The Great Mass is the album of the year for me!!!! Truly amazing! It can't really be compared to Communion. Communion focused more on the death metal, with the orchestra sitting more in the background and adding to the atmosphere. It was heavier I think. With The Great Mass the orchestra has a much bigger role. There's a greater balance between the orchestra and the death metal parts of the songs. And with this they've also re-visited their older albums. Its a very dark and haunting album.

It should also be noted that Fotis Benardo is one hell of a drummer!!!
----

15.04.2011 - 18:32
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by MetalSpider on 15.04.2011 at 17:52

Both Rising and Therianthropy are great songs! but for me the weakest on the album! I never really like Sotiris vocals, but they work well on some of the songs. However, this is only after one listen through. My opinion on those 2 songs might change.

Despite that...The Great Mass is the album of the year for me!!!! Truly amazing! It can't really be compared to Communion. Communion focused more on the death metal, with the orchestra sitting more in the background and adding to the atmosphere. It was heavier I think. With The Great Mass the orchestra has a much bigger role. There's a greater balance between the orchestra and the death metal parts of the songs. And with this they've also re-visited their older albums. Its a very dark and haunting album.

i havent noticed the rising/narcissus similarities yet and i dont think it is that bad. one riff/lead on it reminds me the song "infernal sun" on "summerian daemons" though!

imo sunlight/moonlight was an awesome song of communion and i'd like it so much if therianthropy sounded like it but i dont think that happens.

also i like a lot sotiris clean vocals but i have to admit that on this album i dont like them as much as in the previous. especially n therianthropy and 1 more song i think. i dont like his singing and his accent. i dont know why...

generally this album kills!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.04.2011 - 20:02
Dargor
There's a couple of songs on youtube too, it sounds even better than Communion!
I mean, who is that even possible?
15.04.2011 - 20:09
Rating: 8
Crème fraiche
Buying this cd as soon as it comes out
16.04.2011 - 01:26
MIXHELL
Better than Communion
16.04.2011 - 20:48
Kenos
Account deleted
"Oceans Of Grey" is growing a lot for me... A wonderful dreamy landscape. Love it.
17.04.2011 - 13:07
garmling
Account deleted

I agree about Rising...it really is like Narcissus part 2...but I think Rising is better. And I also agree about Therianthropy being like Sunlight/Moonlight.

Fotis Benardo indeed is a monster behind drumkit! Damn I keep listening this masterpiece over and over again (3 days now, think I've passed through it 50 times now)....this is everything I could have asked of music in one place! treacherous, magical, occult, dark, heavy, brutal, emotional, irreligious, powerful...this is perfection!!!
17.04.2011 - 18:31
MetalSpider
Written by Guest on 17.04.2011 at 13:07

Fotis Benardo indeed is a monster behind drumkit! Damn I keep listening this masterpiece over and over again (3 days now, think I've passed through it 50 times now)....this is everything I could have asked of music in one place! treacherous, magical, occult, dark, heavy, brutal, emotional, irreligious, powerful...this is perfection!!!

Agreed 100%...its perfection no doubt. This is probably one the greatest albums I've ever listened to! I can't stop listening to it!

After listening to it so many times, the songs Rising and Therianthropy (which I originally considered weak)...are now much better. All the songs on this album are equally amazing!
----

18.04.2011 - 00:59
MIXHELL
(no comment) better than communion
18.04.2011 - 12:55
Timmeh
Dudeman
This album kicks some serious arse! The songwriting is superb, the orchestrations are just outright fantastic, the vocals are excellent both harsh and clean though the 'Rising' chorus is a little cheesy it still sounds sweet. Oh and am I the only one who thinks it sounds like WALL-E singing in the last song? EEEVAAA
18.04.2011 - 15:19
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
I can see this ending the year in the top5. it's not only that it is great but i feel that it has all the elements to amaze almost everyone and not only a huge number of people...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.04.2011 - 15:25
Yeah !! it's the masterpiece of 2011 !!
18.04.2011 - 15:44
Rating: 6
Tatras
Nice album but nothing special.
18.04.2011 - 17:29
Dargor
Stunning album, way better than Communion wich was really good too. Probably the best symphonic album of the year so far (and one of my favorite of 2011!).
18.04.2011 - 17:57
Heka69
This was everything it was supposed to be, very dark and atmospheric, simply epic! Best album I have ever heard!
18.04.2011 - 18:21
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
(stupid mother****ing intentional voters have hit this album as they do with whatever is not in their fav bands list)....
----
18.04.2011 - 19:29
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Dargor on 18.04.2011 at 19:19

Because we really think it's a great album. We probably overrate a bit, but at least we don't give shitty votes to bands and albums we don't like.

yeah ok it's not BAD to overrate something you like a lot. we are not album-critics. we have the right to love something even if it has some flows. on the other hand i despise those stupid voters who just want to see their band first on the top-x list. they are just mindless.
----
18.04.2011 - 19:33
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 18.04.2011 at 18:21

(stupid mother****ing intentional voters have hit this album as they do with whatever is not in their fav bands list)....

I know, dude. I feel the same way. Don't go all haywire and shit, though. Complaining to the staff should be the most effective solution at the moment.
And yes, great album.
18.04.2011 - 20:39
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Is that the cover art for the digipak?
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
18.04.2011 - 22:27
Moonbreed
Yes we like to overrate especially that SF did not get the recognition they deserve so far...So pump "The Great Mass" to the sky!!! .(Greatings to you all because I am new here btw).
18.04.2011 - 23:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 18.04.2011 at 19:33

Complaining to the staff should be the most effective solution at the moment.
And yes, great album.

i've done it many times in the past but it seems that they dont care or they just cannot stand with ease against all those silly intentional voters...
----
18.04.2011 - 23:05
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Chainer on 18.04.2011 at 20:39

Is that the cover art for the digipak?

the "complete" cover is of the cd-dvd release. but it is very cheap (in most occasions) and has awesome artwork!
----
18.04.2011 - 23:11
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 18.04.2011 at 23:03

And yes, great album.

i've done it many times in the past but it seems that they dont care or they just cannot stand with ease against all those silly intentional voters...

That's worrying. What can I say? Put 'em in the shoutbox maybe, so that you gain people's support to remove these phony characters from MS once and for all. I actually did that today, as well as some other guy.
18.04.2011 - 23:23
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 18.04.2011 at 23:11

Written by Deadmeat on 18.04.2011 at 23:03

And yes, great album.

That's worrying. What can I say? Put 'em in the shoutbox maybe, so that you gain people's support to remove these phony characters from MS once and for all. I actually did that today, as well as some other guy.

i hate those people and i could easily "find" them and tell who they are. but i've tried it in the past. i wont try it again until i see the stuffers "need" it and look for it as now they probably dont...
----

Hits total: 73200 | This month: 94