Album: Beauty And Pain
Style: Neoclassical darkwave, Gothic doom metal
Release date: 2010

01. Beauty And Pain
02. Mudita
03. A Banquet Of Souls
04. Shamaatah
05. Reborn

Nine years have passed since Avrigus' debut album, the majestic The Secret Kingdom. Eversince silence had covered this fabulous Australian atmospheric doom metal act. Nine years after, Chiara is no longer member of the band, her voice was lending an immense depth in the compositions as if she was a muse inspiring mind and soul. Megan Robins is the new female singer, bearing the burden to partake in the band's dark yet devout sound. Simon Gruer still remains the mastermind of Avrigus and he can't have made a choice that would harm the band's sound aesthetic. The Hidden Citadel will be their second full-length that has been scheduled for 2010, as for now, an EP arose, Beauty And Pain, which prologues the forth-coming release.

Beauty And Pain is the natural continuation of The Secret Kingdom, it seems as if time didn't affect the sound concept of Avrigus, atmospheric doom metal still flows in their veins and a better production is quite vivid. The band has progressed though, but you will still find this "foggy", lurking guitar riffing that accompanies the floating keyboard melodies that evoke devoutness and mystery, along with the beauty of nature that comes forth through the overall atmosphere that has a folkish edge. It has to be the usage of acoustic guitars that overflow the album, not in a bad manner at all, along with some marching-oriented drumming and the violin, the piano and keyboard passages that bring forth a serene feeling. Megan has a beautiful voice, ethereal still whenever needed, but also presenting a more accessible aspect, offering interpreting diversity.

Beauty And Pain is what the title says, Avrigus breathes emotion and nostalgia, taking you far away, but it's only an EP that prepares the audience of what will probably follow after so many years in absence, all we have to do is wait and let's hope The Hidden Citadel will come out during 2010.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 11.10.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 119 users
11.10.2010 - 16:08
Lovecraft
Account deleted
They released an EP so soon? Their last album was pretty good, but could get boring sometimes.

I should listen to this.
11.10.2010 - 16:14
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Guest on 11.10.2010 at 16:08

They released an EP so soon?

Yeah, after nine years But yeah, it's a very good EP, 27 cute and travelling minutes
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
11.10.2010 - 17:08
MeTalRea|istiK

Looking forward to it!!
11.10.2010 - 23:33
Abattoir

Quite good stuff to listen, but nothing special though....

Hits total: 5582 | This month: 4