Release date: 2010

01. Damnation
02. Death
03. Remains Of A Remembrance
04. The Treason
05. Essential Process
06. Adrift
07. Finale

The truth is I don't know many doom metal bands from Chile and to be honest I wasn't expecting much when I discovered Lethargy Of Death. I found the name utterly interesting though and of course the cover artwork, even if it might seem simplistic, something like a photo with skulls & bones (Necrology is the title of the debut) injected with some photoshop filters, it definitely suits the occasion in the most appropriate way.

So, Lethargy Of Death is a one-man band and Emiaj, the main and only figure behind this obscure act, seems to have studied well bands like Skepticism, early Shape Of Despair etc, with a heavy use of keyboards/orchestrations that forge a core of negative energy that suddenly explodes in a moment in time and devours everything. The guitars are ultra slow, ultra heavy, with a hypnotic aura lurking in the background like a wraith being drained by the magnetizing keyboards/orchestrations that craft a prison of souls, evoking a pompous, menacing, hallucinating, doleful, devout, even triumphant in its own demise ambiance that soaks your dreams and turns them into nightmares. I don't know if there are any bass lines in the ruins, it doesn't matter anyway, the keyboards and the guitar distortion hold a wall of sound on their own along with the slow-paced yet imposing funerary drumming/percussion. Emiaj's unearthly boiling grunts consent to the overall hallucinating death-like atmosphere that surrounds the listener, seducing him with lies and finally consuming his conscience.

Although not so original, you have to cherish the grandeur of sorrow through "Damnation" and "Death", the lethargic (what a coincidence!) and unearthly keyboard/FX/sample/recite-driven "Remains Of A Remembrance", the magnum opus of entrancing ambiance "The Treason", the eerie "Essential Process", the desolate "Adrift" and the grand "Finale". All of them coming in the nice price of 57 minutes full of symphonic/atmospheric funeral doom with the ideal production for your ears only. Necrology is an immense experience of haunting beauty straight from the whispers of dead. Don't forget to keep a coin for the boatman.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 16.10.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 113 users
16.10.2010 - 03:46
advent

Good review , will check it definitely , btw there are another doom bands from Chile like Mar de Grises and Uaral .
16.10.2010 - 06:17
skrätte
I Hate You
Written by advent on 16.10.2010 at 03:46

Good review , will check it definitely , btw there are another doom bands from Chile like Mar de Grises and Uaral .

Piping in to say that Mar de Grises is excellent.
----
16.10.2010 - 07:25
Rating: 9
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by advent on 16.10.2010 at 03:46

Thanks mane! I know Mar De Grises and Poema Arcanus, i might have heard of Uaral, as a name only though, but i'm not sure!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
16.10.2010 - 09:10
Jon

And Procession
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
16.10.2010 - 12:16
Merchant of Doom

Reminds me of Ankhagram (there is a little Ankhagram excerpt in one of the "songs" in Necrology, can't remember which one)... it's a great album, albeit maybe a touch simplistic... one of my favourite for working...
16.10.2010 - 12:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by KwonVerge on 16.10.2010 at 07:25

Thanks mane! I know Mar De Grises and Poema Arcanus, i might have heard of Uaral, as a name only though, but i'm not sure!

Where have you been mate? The last years there has been some sort of BOMB when it comes to doom metal in Chile. Make sure to check some stuff in metal archives or something...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
16.10.2010 - 12:37
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.10.2010 at 12:34

Written by KwonVerge on 16.10.2010 at 07:25

Where have you been mate? The last years there has been some sort of BOMB when it comes to doom metal in Chile. Make sure to check some stuff in metal archives or something...

Show me some bombs, don't leave me searching in there in agony
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
16.10.2010 - 13:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Hopefully this won't be too much of an offtopic post, but everything for DOOOOOM

Written by KwonVerge on 16.10.2010 at 12:37

Well, I've seen some love that has been showed to Procession, the band is featured here with a nice review done by Bittercold and Marcel. Very good EP and their debut has just been released this year. The bands connected with Procession are also worth the time like Capilla Ardiente. I've heard that some members from procession are/were in Poema Arcanus.

I've heard some nice Doom/Death as well like Postumo Lumbre, Magna Veritas (Oh man, check the song Mi Nombre, Tus Llagas from their myspace, beautiful stuff and I think it might be your taste), Aura Hiemis (former member in common with Mar De Grises, good funeral doom/death)

In the case you enjoy some acid stoner7sludge I totally recommend you Electrozombies. The vocals are quite average but the music makes everything better!

Oh, and I don't care if this last band is not from Chile, every time I get thew chance to talk about doom in south america I have to name Reino Ermitaño. I mean, yeah... Last time I remember I heard thatyou weren't that much of a fan with classic doom metal. But this guys are worth it. That woman has one of the most beautiful voices I've heard. Really atmospheric stuff, she's like a witch!
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.10.2010 - 13:25
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.10.2010 at 13:20

Hopefully this won't be too much of an offtopic post, but everything for DOOOOOM

Written by KwonVerge on 16.10.2010 at 12:37

Well, I've seen some love that has been showed to Procession, the band is featured here with a nice review done by Bittercold and Marcel. Very good EP and their debut has just been released this year. The bands connected with Procession are also worth the time like Capilla Ardiente. I've heard that some members from procession are/were in Poema Arcanus.

I've heard some nice Doom/Death as well like Postumo Lumbre, Magna Veritas (Oh man, check the song Mi Nombre, Tus Llagas from their myspace, beautiful stuff and I think it might be your taste), Aura Hiemis (former member in common with Mar De Grises, good funeral doom/death)

In the case you enjoy some acid stoner7sludge I totally recommend you Electrozombies. The vocals are quite average but the music makes everything better!

Oh, and I don't care if this last band is not from Chile, every time I get thew chance to talk about doom in south america I have to name Reino Ermitaño. I mean, yeah... Last time I remember I heard thatyou weren't that much of a fan with classic doom metal. But this guys are worth it. That woman has one of the most beautiful voices I've heard. Really atmospheric stuff, she's like a witch!

Thanks mate, i'll check them out, although i'm only into funeral, doom/death, doom/black thingies i still like a few traditional bands, i don't know if i'll give a shot on elektrozombie, but the rest i'll try
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

16.10.2010 - 13:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
All of the bands Mr Doctor mentioned are from Chile.

Condenados is also good.

There are bound to be more but all those mentioned are the best known ones.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2010 - 13:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.10.2010 at 13:34

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2010 at 13:26

All of the bands Mr Doctor mentioned are from Chile.

Condenados is also good.

There are bound to be more but all those mentioned are the best known ones.

Reino Ermitaño is from Peru

Unless they moved which wouldn't surprise me cosidering the amount of people from Peru who lives in Santiago.

I know they are. I meant the other bands you mentioned hahaha.
I talked to the vocalist and guitarist of Reino for quite some time at Doom Shall Rise 2009
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2010 - 13:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2010 at 13:35

I know they are. I meant the other bands you mentioned hahaha.
I talked to the vocalist and guitarist of Reino for quite some time at Doom Shall Rise 2009

Nice quoting something I didn't say Nah, i was just gonna edit something XD... anyway.

Oh.. I just found something that might be handy for some of you.
Some nice soul did an epic list of bands from metal archive sin a very handy way so you can sort country and genre, etc. Not the biggest invention ever but it's handy.

I still haven't got my hands in anything by Reino Ermitaño. I almost regret that I ordered Phase 3 by Earth just now... but Phase 3 was half the price of Reino Ermitaño's cds... Oh well, for my birthday!
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.10.2010 - 13:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.10.2010 at 13:38

Oh.. I just found something that might be handy for some of you.
Some nice soul did an epic list of bands from metal archive sin a very handy way so you can sort country and genre, etc. Not the biggest invention ever but it's handy.

I still haven't got my hands in anything by Reino Ermitaño. I almost regret that I ordered Phase 3 by Earth just now... but Phase 3 was half the price of Reino Ermitaño's cds... Oh well, for my birthday!

Thx for the list. Although weird it mentions Another Messiah as epic doom when in fact it is a mix of prog gothic and some death/doom.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2010 - 13:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2010 at 13:41

Thx for the list. Although weird it mentions Another Messiah as epic doom when in fact it is a mix of prog gothic and some death/doom.

Well, Metal Archives use to suck a lot when it comes to labels. I mean I was searching info for the band Suma and I was like "If this isn't sludge/drone I don't know what the fuck is" and they just wrote "Stoner doom metal". Like, what?
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.10.2010 - 13:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.10.2010 at 13:43

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2010 at 13:41

Well, Metal Archives use to suck a lot when it comes to labels. I mean I was searching info for the band Suma and I was like "If this isn't sludge/drone I don't know what the fuck is" and they just wrote "Stoner doom metal". Like, what?

Starnge I can't scroll down in that page you posted.

Btw I have the Suma/Pyramido split and it surely is stoner but with some sludge influences and totally no drone at all.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.10.2010 - 13:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2010 at 13:46

Btw I have the Suma/Pyramido split and it surely is stoner but with some sludge influences and totally no drone at all.

I don't know I have their latest called Ashes and for me it is pure sludge with some drone influences here and there, but not stoner.

I don't have any problems with the page though...
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.10.2010 - 13:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.10.2010 at 13:52

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.10.2010 at 13:46

I don't know I have their latest called Ashes and for me it is pure sludge with some drone influences here and there, but not stoner.

I don't have any problems with the page though...

I only have that split. So will have to check their other stuff.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.12.2010 - 14:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
This album is quite good and enjoyable but lacks real bite and menace. It's like Shape Of Despair funeral doom light that goes well as background music.

A 7.5 or a tad above from me 7.7 max

btw finally picked up a copy of it last night at the Mar De Grises gig MDG sold the album for 5 euros.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 5711 | This month: 11