01. Feral Magic (Intro)
02. The Crown Of Winter
03. Mired
04. Bless You To Die
05. Autumn Dancers
06. The Seventh Symphony Of Satan
07. The Beautiful Nature
08. My Awakening Dreamland (Outro)

2003's Tears Of Mortal Solitude was a small sound apocalypse not only to me, but for many adorers of the atmospheric metal scene and I say atmospheric because it was holding within borders a harmonic territory of gothic, doom and black metal under an intense ambiance veil. One could say they released an awesome debut, an explosion of emotions and then vanished in the mist from whence they came. Seven years later the ship of Forest Stream has found its destination, anchored and forgotten somewhere between gloom, frost and solitude in search for The Crown Of Winter.

"Good morning... Just woke up
Today is 20th of September
I wash and dress and then..."

Sometimes words are incapable of dressing up untouched, pure, naked art from the heart of the artist straight to the heart of the listener, yet, I will try to approach The Crown Of Winter with sincerety and respect. Once the album starts unfolding its immense beauty you can't turn your back, it's a one way ticket into the unknown that devours you gently with every passing second until you've lost yourself into the vast soundscapes behind melancholy's complex mask.

Today is 15th of November
I wash and dress and go..."

Harmony, this is the main word that overruns Forest Stream's second work, everything blends wonderfully together, dreams, nightmares and hallucinations turn into compositions that form an impenetrable wall of sound from which there is no escape, the production is such that compliments every single instrument and all together parade in front of your surprised stare. Within the songs you will find a variety of contradictive emotions, ambiances, tempos and ways of expression that keep your interest at high levels without sounding incoherent, the band blends every single idea in an unerring way and so the flow of The Crown Of Winter imprisons your loyalty without any shadow of doubt.

Today is 5th of May
I wash and dress and then..."

Through the whole duration of the album you will notice a symbiotic co-existence, a dual world in which the two elements comprising it leave unharmed one another, yes, i'm referring to the guitars and the keyboards, "The Autumn Dancers". They weave a dance in which they partake heart and soul exchanging leading roles harmonically until they climax together in eruptions of unuttered expression. Powerful and fierce yet also melodic and emotional guitar riffing or soloing moments, fragile acoustic passages and harmonic chords flirt with bittersweet symphonies, nightmarish and ominous sound curtains, seducing dream-like serenades and hallucinating mirages of con-soul-ation. And somewhere inbetween, the magnificent vocal lines like a maneuvring maestro either caress you in an overwhelming way with their clean interpretation or carve the same scar in your heart with their grunting exhumation or more howling/shrieking coldness. And from the core of the earth, a neverending pulse like a pounding heart at various tempos, the rhythm section lends groove, either imposing or accompanying, with the drumming presenting something more than just doing its job.

"And so it goes, day after day.
A pale-gray circle
Of indifferent decay...
I just don't know
What still makes me wake up
To find myself surrounded
By the dead again..."

Once again, Forest Stream managed to release one of those works that intend to be a long-time partner in crime all those lonely nights, a mirror in front of your very eyes, beautiful and ugly at the same time, from the very beginning to the very end, an ornament of gothic, doom, black metal diamonds.

"Morning... Just woke up..."

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 15.10.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 127 users
16.10.2010 - 16:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
A huge disappointment this album after their brilliant debut.
Musically meandering and boring and going nowhere and the vocals have a terrible accent to them.
Too disjointed at points no flow to it.
A 6 or thereabouts for me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2010 - 12:52
Daniell
_爱情_
Agreed. Such a shitty release after such a good predecessor.
17.10.2010 - 12:55
Rating: 10
KwonVerge
Odysseus
You're nasty nasty pipol
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
17.10.2010 - 21:55
Daniell
_爱情_
Rozz, if I hadn't heard this album before, your quality review would have encouraged me to find it and it'd have set my expectations even higher than they had been. But I heard it already and I was very very disappointed
17.10.2010 - 22:04
Rating: 10
KwonVerge
Odysseus
No problemo! I liked it almost as much as the debut, generally i love this band! i don't why, but this album has become a love it or hate it one somehow!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
19.11.2010 - 23:36
FS_crew

You know... we have just decided to grow somehow... And of course it was pretty much predictable that many ppl would be disappointed with the second release, yet it is actually should be like that. I don't want to explain or apologize or say "you don't understand this!". Nope. Well... Actually I am really glad to succeed in making music, which is liked by a few. Thanks a lot!:)))
And let the dismal life of the mighty Bogs shall go on undisturbed at all...!
06.02.2011 - 18:48
Rating: 8
rlro

Written by FS_crew on 19.11.2010 at 23:36

You know... we have just decided to grow somehow... And of course it was pretty much predictable that many ppl would be disappointed with the second release, yet it is actually should be like that. I don't want to explain or apologize or say "you don't understand this!". Nope. Well... Actually I am really glad to succeed in making music, which is liked by a few. Thanks a lot!:)))
And let the dismal life of the mighty Bogs shall go on undisturbed at all...!

I was one of the people that got disappointed with this album. The problem is that your debut record Tears Of Mortal Solitude was just perfect and thus it created a really high level of expectation for me which was very difficult (if not impossible) to reach. Anyway, I still consider The Crown Of Winter a good album although far behind ToMS. I just hope you guys keep composing new songs.
08.04.2011 - 05:42
Rating: 9
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I just discovered this band a few weeks ago, and this album fucking blew me away. Mainly because of its style variety and quality. I find it very unfair to label this band just as Doom. I could find so many genres in this album, from Doom to Black, Progressive and whoever knows what else! And if that wasn't enough, the vocals are excellently performed for each moment! "Bless You To Die" was the best example I could find of that. I lost count of how many different types of vocals there are in this song... Really amazing album.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
08.04.2011 - 09:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Dark Blood on 08.04.2011 at 05:42

I just discovered this band a few weeks ago, and this album fucking blew me away. Mainly because of its style variety and quality. I find it very unfair to label this band just as Doom. I could find so many genres in this album, from Doom to Black, Progressive and whoever knows what else! And if that wasn't enough, the vocals are excellently performed for each moment! "Bless You To Die" was the best example I could find of that. I lost count of how many different types of vocals there are in this song... Really amazing album.

Totally agreed. I think the instrumentation alone makes for a unique listen among metal, and it does an excellent job at juxtaposing extremity with beauty.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.09.2016 - 20:20
Rating: 9
I AM CATALAN

Believe me. I've been listening metal music for more than 30 years (except when i am sleeping). It's one of my favourite albums of all time and genders. Fast food lovers, don't try it....
15.02.2017 - 19:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Another great review, nice one I like those woke up and date parts pretty cool, only seems was it alhim or Rod who once wrote grind core band revive in beavis n butthead style ,lol
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6440 | This month: 6