09. When The Candle Fades
10. Carved Up
11. Reflection
12. Slippin' Away
13. Drained

Guest review by
Uirapuru
Rating:
This release represents another case in which an album serves as prompt for a successful new direction in a band's sound. Abducted can be considered the cleaner, brighter and slightly emotional twin brother of The Fourth Dimension. And although the filthy twin was the truly responsible for the primordial subtle clues of this new sound directions, it was on 1996's Abducted that everything was organized to redirect a higher percentage of all stylistic, lyrical and audio features towards this inevitable incipient path.

Read more ››
published 23.06.2010 | Comments (4)

Found in 20 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 625 users
18.10.2010 - 16:26
Rating: 10
Jay-WalKeR

The best hypocrisy album...Specially Roswell 47
05.08.2011 - 13:33
steelminion01

This album is the epitome of death metal, not a plain song on the whole album, still one of the best death metal albums of all time, a nice diverse mixture of songs that all work together
19.03.2013 - 01:58
Rating: 9
Mario Montes

Roswell 47 is in my opinion one of the best metal songs ever written. And the ballad Slipping Away is beautiful.
23.04.2019 - 21:12
cynicoren

This album, as a whole, is perfect. Some songs stand out, some less, but altogether - amazing.
23.04.2019 - 22:15
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by cynicoren on 23.04.2019 at 21:12

This album, as a whole, is perfect. Some songs stand out, some less, but altogether - amazing.

I agree, this is an amazing album.
Yet I believe it does not quite deserve a full score, Peter Tägtgren had already created their magnum opus two years prior to this release.
----
signatures = SPAM
23.04.2019 - 23:17
cynicoren

Written by Starvynth on 23.04.2019 at 22:15

Written by cynicoren on 23.04.2019 at 21:12

I agree, this is an amazing album.
Yet I believe it does not quite deserve a full score, Peter Tägtgren had already created their magnum opus two years prior to this release.

You refer the 4th dimension?
In my opinion it's a good album, I agree (gave it an 8), but "Abducted" feels much more complete, feels like music and lyrics retain a consistent high level. The 4th has a couple of lesser powerful songs.
24.04.2019 - 14:26
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Written by cynicoren on 23.04.2019 at 23:17

You refer the 4th dimension?
In my opinion it's a good album, I agree (gave it an 8), but "Abducted" feels much more complete, feels like music and lyrics retain a consistent high level. The 4th has a couple of lesser powerful songs.

Yep, I consider The Fourth Dimension to be their best album.
I'm a sucker for Death Metal with a bonus. Prior to The Fourth Dimension they just played rather plain Death Metal, one could even call it generic. But with The Fourth Dimension, they truly expanded the horizon of the genre - long before e.g. The Jester Race and The Gallery had seen the light of day.

I really think it's a groundbreaking album, whereas Abducted just followed the path that had already been paved, heading towards Melodeath that everyone and their mother was playing around 1996 and each year thereafter.

Anyway, we are just talking about nuances. Anything from 8/10 to 10/10 means it's better than good and I'm happy you can appreciate both of these albums.
----
signatures = SPAM
30.11.2019 - 21:55
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Written by Starvynth on 24.04.2019 at 14:26

I consider The Fourth Dimension to be their best album.
I'm a sucker for Death Metal with a bonus. Prior to The Fourth Dimension they just played rather plain Death Metal, one could even call it generic. But with The Fourth Dimension, they truly expanded the horizon of the genre - long before e.g. The Jester Race and The Gallery had seen the light of day.

I really think it's a groundbreaking album, whereas Abducted just followed the path that had already been paved, heading towards Melodeath that everyone and their mother was playing around 1996 and each year thereafter.

The Fourth Dimension isn't and never was special on a meta level for Swedish DM. Jester Gallery were significantly captured from Carcass then Dissection and At The Gates after on homeland soil prior to 1996. Emerging as death tracing into Gothenburg melo-deth, The Fourth Dimension does carry the factors to some extent inherent to Hypocrisy's identity aesthetically but it's preadolescent toying around ideas from it's doom pace approach title track and prime X-FIles era worship 90's spacey industiral/extraterrestial atmosphere concept fan art but overall it is collectively shyed to the side. The Fourth Dimension is the last album that had plain Entombed/Dismember clone DM as the bigger slice with two smaller amounts of melo and atmospheric experimental alien industrial ambience tone. Abducted shares equal platter of each third as a collective making it the strongest output, because of this balance unmatched. every Hypocrisy after has scaled more melodeth increasingly since.

I'm taking this oppertunity to showcase it's now place-in-time use of 90's art and layout, including it's unique use of band photography which sadly is a lost art in metal with few rare exceptions (Sunn O))), Blut Aus Nord, Oranssi Pazuzu). As Mercurial would say, it sounds better, it looks better, it fucks better.

If there's one thing stale needing more focus on album threads it's appreciation to the said album's discussed layout and art, they are as important as the music itself in giving it body.

Photos taken from [url=https://tshirtslayer.com/tape-vinyl-cd-recording-etc/hypocrisy-abducted-lp]here].
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

12.10.2020 - 15:20
Rating: 6
metalriff

Too much atmosphere with too little substance
----
1001 Metal albums to hear before you die
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6531
26.03.2022 - 05:40
Rating: 7
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Alakazam on 30.11.2019 at 21:55

[
I'm taking this oppertunity to showcase it's now place-in-time use of 90's art and layout, including it's unique use of band photography which sadly is a lost art in metal with few rare exceptions (Sunn O))), Blut Aus Nord, Oranssi Pazuzu). As Mercurial would say, it sounds better, it looks better, it fucks better.

If there's one thing stale needing more focus on album threads it's appreciation to the said album's discussed layout and art, they are as important as the music itself in giving it body.

I also always find cover artwork very important.
This artwork here I find really creepy! (But I guess that's the intention!)
13.05.2022 - 22:09
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Quote:
Written by F3ynman2000 on 26.03.2022 at 05:40

I also always find cover artwork as important.
This artwork here I find really creepy! (But I guess that's the intention!)

Fixed. And jfl, coming back to see a certain staff like withdrawn from way back then. There was a LIKE here, it's gone now.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

Hits total: 13505 | This month: 26