08. For The Greater Good Of God
09. Lord Of Light
10. The Legacy
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name [Radio 1 'Legends' Session] [iTunes bonus]

Disc II [Special Edition DVD]
+ The Making Of A Matter Of Life And Death
+ The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg [video]
+ The Band Recording "Different World"

It's never easy to write the review of the new album of the legendary Iron Maiden. The band is so big and famous that you'll always get comments from the nostalgic people that will say that it was better before (a point that is not especially wrong on a side) and comment from some others ones who cannot understand that a band can change a bit its musical orientation and will always request hits a la "Fear Of The Dark". Unfortunately for them, "A Matter Of Life And Death", 14th release is of the combo, is different? Really dark with a lot of progressive elements, I think that the ones who want some new "The Number Of The Beast" will be disappointed but all the ones who (like me) believe that "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" is the best album of the band, will like the new release?

Strangely, I only found one song, "Different World", that follows the lines of "Brave New World" and "Dance Of Death". With its catchy chorus, it fast rhythm (all the other songs are in general slower) it will be easy for you to remember its melody and if this song will work live, in my opinion it's definitely not the best song of the album? Because on the other hand, "A Matter Of Life And Death" is full of long (with an average length of seven, height or even nine minutes!) mid-tempo songs, and those long songs follow the spirit of "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son". Dark and sad with some keyboards and a lot of progressive elements, "These Colours Don't Run" or "For The Greater Good Of God" for example are like the little brothers of a song like "Moonchild". It's definitely not easy of access, it will never pass on a radio or in a club but there is something good in those songs. It's not an "easy" Iron Maiden and it's obvious that the band worked a lot on this new release. The arrangements are complex, the riffs are all but not commercial and since that I like progressive music I'm starting to like more and more this new album. Evidently you'll still be able to listen to the really special original Maiden sound but a song like "On Lord Of Light" is so dark and different that the second part of the song will be really surprising for the fans. Because of course, since that the songs are not short the guys put a lot of variations, break etc in the music.

The production is also really surprising, especially when you know that Steve Harris said lately that it was recorded in a completely live state to give to the listeners a pure "old school" sound. You will see, it is really impressive and it works! Also, maybe if it's not the best performance ever of Dickinson but I think that his voice is better than on "Dance Of Death" and for sure, since that it's not so easy to sing on such complex songs we can say one more time that this guy is just an amazing singer of Heavy Metal. With "A Matter Of Life And Death" it's really hard to find a negative point with the production, even the "chaotic" cover with a "G.I." Eddie is a great and when I see the logo of the album, I'm sure that we will have a lot of good surprises with the stage of the upcoming Iron Maiden's tour?

For sure I know that some of you will be disappointed (and they will be maybe right after all) because the Maiden's "hits" are missing but on the other hand the new album is a lot better than (at least) their four last albums. It's different ok and you'll need time to "enter" into "A Matter Of Life And Death" but with time I'm ready to bet a lot of money that a lot of the dissidents will change their opinion?

"A Matter Of Life And Death" is probably not the best album of Iron Maiden and a lot of people will be disturbed by the fact that it's not an album that it will be easy to listen to. But like with "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" the band took some risks and at the end even if we don't have any spectacular songs, a lot of the tracks of this new CD are full of great things. This is different, never "happy" but these dark progressive aspects that you'll be able to find on the majority of the songs of the album are just cool. To finish, just remember this last tip? Don't be fast with this album, listen to it again and again and you'll see that at the end you'll agree with me to say that it is really entertaining, at the opposite of "Dance Of Death", the complexity of "A Matter Of Life And Death" proves that it's an interesting album. "A Matter Of Life And Death" is the proof that Iron Maiden still knows how to surprise us with some great original music.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Jeff | 28.08.2006

Guest review by
Lupas
Rating:
A Matter Of Life And Death is an album concerning warfare, religion, and the causal connections between the two. Accordingly, Maiden entered the stage to the sound of war-movie music, in front of a backdrop which initially shows the bombed-out ruins of what might be Strasbourg 1977 or, given the band's East End origins, Stratford.

Read more ››
published 06.02.2007 | Comments (31)

Comments

Comments: 89   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 283 users
28.08.2006 - 12:34
Rating: 8
Bas
Retired Staff
great, looking forward to listen to it, sounds awesome in any case
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
28.08.2006 - 12:37
NoRb3
Account deleted
This album is 7 for me. Good but nothing more.
28.08.2006 - 12:58
Talvi

You surprised me. You reviewed this album without any mencion of 'The Legacy'

The hits? "For the Greater Good of God" and "The Legacy". Those are among the best maiden tracks.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
28.08.2006 - 12:59
Jeff
Freaky Admin
I cannot talk about all the songs hehe But don't worry I agree with you, The Legacy is also a great song
----
Come with us to Hellfest 2011!
28.08.2006 - 13:01
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Well, I think the ratings is ok, can't be less than 8 anyway.Good one!
28.08.2006 - 14:21
Daniell
_爱情_
I completely agree. It's Maiden's best since "Seventh Son of A Seventh Son." Especially the last three tracks are brilliant.
28.08.2006 - 14:25
Baz Anderson

haha, i put a meaty comment in here the first time it was up. i cant be bothered to write all that again
i was basicly just saying it was brave of them to go something a bit different and stuff even now

it came out here today so i went out and baught it as soon as i could
i got the one with the DVD too - the limited edition version
woo!
28.08.2006 - 14:42
Rating: 4
Hyvaarin

My thoughts-

1. A lot of the songs ('For the Greater Good...' especially) are nothing new at all, and are painfully unoriginal.
2. The album isn't NEARLY as "prgoressive" as it's been made out by a lot of people to be. "Quiet, clean intro" is not synonymous with "progressive element".
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
28.08.2006 - 15:39
Thryce
Retired Staff
Good review, Jeff.

"A Matter Of Life And Death" will indeed need quite a long time to get into, but after listening two times to it, I really like the album. I think it's better than "Dance Of Death", but then again it's also quite different. Like you said, only "Different World" sounds pretty familair with DOD.

I think this album is pretty good whatsoever, creating a special and dark atmosphere, very elaborated and certainly not for unexperienced Iron Maiden-fans.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
28.08.2006 - 16:45
Talvi

I actually agree with you dude!
7th son is the best Iron Maiden album, and this may become my second favorite. It's their most complex album, hands down, and the most rewarding. And it has also some Maiden classics (I still say 'the Legacy'. It's on the same level as Hallowed be thy Name, Fear of the Dark and Dance of Death. And we all know these name are sacred).
Let's recognise it: it won's impact the world as The Number of the Beast, but it's MUCH better.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
28.08.2006 - 19:11
Rating: 10
JeNoZ

After atleast 10 listenings, I must say that Steve & co has done it again, The album is everything taht i ecpected it to be, and that says alot. I can not yet say where I place it in my rank of maidenalbums, but this is for sure already the album of the year (and it has been a strong year). UP THE F'IN IRONS!
----
28.08.2006 - 19:15
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Hyvaarin on 28.08.2006 at 14:42

My thoughts-

1. A lot of the songs ('For the Greater Good...' especially) are nothing new at all, and are painfully unoriginal.
2. The album isn't NEARLY as "prgoressive" as it's been made out by a lot of people to be. "Quiet, clean intro" is not synonymous with "progressive element".

Yes it is, for a Maiden album. It is not for an Opeth album
28.08.2006 - 20:16
Der Meister
Account deleted
Good God this album is incredible! Believe it or not, it didn´t even need to grow on me, I loved it at first sight (well... "listen" to be literal).
28.08.2006 - 21:44
akira_20xx

The tracks previewed before the album came out got me excited for a new fantastic maiden album. I got the album yesterday and have been listening to it now stop. At first i was kind off disappointed. There was nothin apart from "For The Greater Good Of God" which made me go, holy shit thats amazing. Now after listening to it several times it is very good album. It's very dark and gloomy, but nothing heavy such as some of the stuff of Brave New World. I think its better than Dance Of Death anyway.
Maiden fans i think will be very happy with this album!
----
Black Is Black...
28.08.2006 - 23:44
Rating: 9
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Great review Jeff! Although this album didn't grow on me yet (like BNW and DOD).. I still need some time, and hear it very carefully... I'm sure it will grow
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
29.08.2006 - 01:01
MetalMachine

I think it's a very nice album, great i geas... Listened to it couple of times and I like it more and more every time!!! Just a bit sad that there are few sing-a-longs... But whatever, it rocks:banger2:
----
m/ Metal Up Your Ass m/
29.08.2006 - 01:04
Richard

Jeff, I agree with practically everything you said here. A great album, with some very strong melodies. As others have said, For The Greater Good Of God is definitely a standout track, but they're all (mostly) of a high standard.
----
29.08.2006 - 01:26
Endoftherainbow

Great review. I'm listnening to it for the first time right now and I have no complaints it sounds like a great album it's exactly what I'd expect from an Iron Maiden album.
29.08.2006 - 02:04
Rating: 7
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
The revival of Maiden BEGINS! ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!
CAN NOT WAIT TO GET ALBUM! UG LOVE MAIDEN.........
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
29.08.2006 - 03:01
Hyvaarin

Written by Spyroid on 28.08.2006 at 19:15

My thoughts-

I stand by my statement, though, you can't just chuck a crappy quiet intro on a song then go and proclaim the progness of your new material in every interview you do.
----
29.08.2006 - 08:56
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Hyvaarin on 29.08.2006 at 03:01

Written by Spyroid on 28.08.2006 at 19:15

My thoughts-

I stand by my statement, though, you can't just chuck a crappy quiet intro on a song then go and proclaim the progness of your new material in every interview you do.

Well, progression can be different things and does not always has to do with complexity. If a band have progressed, they have changed their music to a more complex direction, it doesn't have to be much at all. I don't think Maiden should be considered progressive metal, but they've progressed much more than any other NWOBHM band, for example.
29.08.2006 - 10:41
RavenLord

Brilliant review, Jeff. I especially like your emphasis on the difficulty of this album. This is an album that grows on you; faster for some people than others, but it is pretty complex-it takes a while to sink in. My first impression would rate it higher than 8.4, but I feel your review does it more justice than the rating. Another thing I like is that there is no clear favourite song, or an easy song to listen to (excepting Different World). My favourite at the minute is 'Brighter Than a Thousand Suns', but 'Longest Day' is catching up rapidly!

And @ Hyvaarin: Yes, the album may be replete with plenty of acoustic intros (some of which are quite boring), but the progression comes from the sheer amount of time changes and riff changes you can hear in Longest Day among others (I'm being vague here, because I can't actually remember much about the other songs...it still hasn't sunk in enough!)
----
29.08.2006 - 12:39
Hyvaarin

Ahh, fair enough, cradka - nice post.

Ravenlord - is my memory playing tricks on me, or is the 'Different World' riff also a bit crazily-timed?
----
29.08.2006 - 19:50
RavenLord

Written by Hyvaarin on 29.08.2006 at 12:39

Ravenlord - is my memory playing tricks on me, or is the 'Different World' riff also a bit crazily-timed?

Yes, Different World does have a bit of tempo change in it, but it's certainly more commerical and accessible than the other songs (apart from Ben Breeg, which is a bit simple). It doesn't have the amount of riffs and tempo shifts that, say, Brighter than a Thousand Suns does. Still, now that you mention it, I can see that it's no 'Sanctuary', even if it is a straight-out rocker.
----
29.08.2006 - 22:27
GT
Coffee!!
I'm so looking forward to getting this album
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.08.2006 - 02:58
Hyvaarin

Written by RavenLord on 29.08.2006 at 19:50

Written by Hyvaarin on 29.08.2006 at 12:39

Yes, Different World does have a bit of tempo change in it, but it's certainly more commerical and accessible than the other songs (apart from Ben Breeg, which is a bit simple). It doesn't have the amount of riffs and tempo shifts that, say, Brighter than a Thousand Suns does. Still, now that you mention it, I can see that it's no 'Sanctuary', even if it is a straight-out rocker.

Ahh, it was actually 'Brighter Than A Thousand Suns' that I was thinking of .
----
30.08.2006 - 11:33
Andreas
Account deleted
Hi all of you,

I read all posted messages about the album, particularly the critical one. I dare say that some posted their critics in a hurry. This is rather complex and difficult to get in to album. I don't agree with those who compare it with "Seventh son of the seventh son" because the line is different. For those who say that the album was "re-hashed" and there was nothing "original", my commemt is: You can't expect from Maiden to sound like a mainstream MTV band, looking for their "15 minutes" glory. Instead, Maiden are different, they are the kings and founders of the Heavy Metal and they make the metal live.

About the rating. I think Jeff got a point there. I woulg give it 9.5, but after all, I am too predjudiced /I have been listening to Maiden since 1988/ as I am radical Maiden fan. Whatever, in my oppinion this release will have the appreciation it deserves within a period of a few months and it will stand the test of time.

In conclusion, this is a great metal album, masterpiece, work of art. And Iron Maiden are like the wine. They are growing better and better with the passage of time. I wonder, why didn't anyone mention "The Pilgrim". This is a traditional maiden style song with strong metal sound and high melodic vocals, one of my favorite together with "The longest day", "Brighter than a thousand suns", "Lord of light" etc. My advice is: Listhen the record no less than 10 times before analyse and reflect on it.

For all Iron Maiden fans: Congratulations with the new album!
31.08.2006 - 01:26
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
the best song is definaly "For the Greater Good of God", even tho I like "Dance of the Death" better than this album
----
31.08.2006 - 17:47
akbrahma
Account deleted
The album is quite good.... but not something great...... can give it a max of 8.... The legacy is best song for me ....
31.08.2006 - 17:58
Pachendale
Account deleted
i have to say on a whole it is one of maiden best albums to date, love all the songs, but the best for me is the longest day,

Hits total: 18595 | This month: 28