07. Fathernature
08. Fat Boy
09. Ovies Aries
10. Dead Rain

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Recorded: Studio St Marthe, France 2009
Label: CorrectoMundo! Records
Total Running Time: 1:08:32

The naked facts. Once upon a time, in a steakhouse & grill somewhere along the French highways, five unspeakably sick minds came together, sat down and started jamming under the moniker Dezperados, before renaming to Last Barons. Five years later, their headache-inducing psychedelic material is finally printed on a piece of polycarbonate and plastic with the title Elephantyasis.

Don't be fooled, it isn't thunder. Staying put would be a blunder. It's harder than expected to wrap your head around albums like Elephantyasis. Last Barons are playing a game of Jumanji in your mind, and there will be enough pseudo-chaotic twists and turns you might not like on first sight. And it takes forever to get out of the Last Barons stampede, as they have blocked all the emergency exits with their contagiously dirty brand of stoner rock. So you're trapped in their game till it's over.

Classic yet fresh. Although being loyal to the contour lines set out by big boys Kyuss and Faith No More, Last Barons can be regarded as the breath of proverbial fresh air. These guys sound somewhere different, somewhere familiar; somewhere repulsive, somewhere exhilarating. And you can already taste the mother of all hangovers coming up in your mouth.
But like I said, Last Barons are certainly no innovation gurus either. There is no desert or garage in the world where this type of music hasn't been played before. So while Last Barons don't have much thinking outside the box going on, they will show you all corners of the box.

Bonus point. Come on, it's fucking called Elephantyasis; one of those funny diseases one can only hope to never get. I dare you to Google Image that shit with the safe search off (spoiler alert: humongous scrotum).

Zinger. I'd like to say that Elephantyasis is deliciously nut-crushing (ha!), but in the end this band is probably more nuts than crushing.

Side effects. Side effects of Elephantyasis may include the purchase of a Harley Davidson... just so you can go road tripping on a desert highway with this music on.

Written by Thryce | 21.10.2010

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 158 users
21.10.2010 - 02:52
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Hilarious review, love the jumanji refrence. Two thumbs up!
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
21.10.2010 - 06:22
silenius

Haha awesome review dude! gonna check it out.
21.10.2010 - 15:19
GT
Coffee!!
As always an entertaining review. Probably not my kind of music though
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.10.2010 - 15:34
Edmund Fogg

Good review. You made me discover a great rock band...It's been a while
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom