Reviewer:
Band: Sadness Saturn
Album: She
Style: Black metal
Release date: September 2009

01. Childhood And The Journey To Satan
02. Like Ghosts In The Freezing Night
03. Dreamer

In my everlasting quest to escape from this earthly prison I keep stumbling on weirder and weirder music. Which is not that weird, if you take into account that I'm actually looking for weird music. Because well, weird music is usually a lot more interesting than normal music. Although, truth be told, normal music is usually also pretty strange.

So yeah, once again a lousy intro by yours truly, but don't blame me. It's what Sadness Saturn does to me. She, the elusively titled demo were talking about today, is a three-song, seventeen-minutes ambient drone Black metal fest. Yey for kvltness, especially "Childhood And The Journey To Satan" has one of the most underground and badass productions I've ever heard. Imagine Elysian Blaze in their demo days, borrowing Reverorum Ib Malacht's first demo recording cave? (Am I succeeding in being kvlt as **** by referencing to the demos of obscure acts for sound descriptions? Yey!)

So yeah, if you don't know the aforementioned bands (check them out!), imagine guitar distortion laced with melodic synthesizers and bass, mixed into one long, faceless drone. With, of course, shrieks. "Like Ghosts In The Freezing Night" continues in a more strict Black metal fashion, which is a shame. Black metal is not Sadness Saturn's strength, as the entire track sounds generic and meaningless. "Dreamer" is a droning ambient track with harsh shrieks, which is not as exiting / just as boring as it sounds.

It's a shame Sadness Saturn chose to ditch the sound of "Childhood....", as the last two songs are quite boring and redundant. But then again, the ridiculously underground production of "Childhood..." is not much more than a gimmick anyway. A fun song for three or four plays, but not more than that.

Which makes this demo, how should I put this, not worth your time. And I got my feet firmly rooted in the Earth's soil again. Goddammit.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 4
Production: 5

Written on 22.10.2010 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 35 users
22.10.2010 - 12:51
oroboros

We need more Cartman clips. Period.
22.10.2010 - 12:58
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by oroboros on 22.10.2010 at 12:51

Can't do that in every review man.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.10.2010 - 13:12
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Lucas on 22.10.2010 at 12:58

But moooooooooooooooooooooooom I want more Cartman clips,... Moooooooooooooooooom.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.10.2010 - 13:38
oroboros

Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.10.2010 at 13:12

Written by Lucas on 22.10.2010 at 12:58

But moooooooooooooooooooooooom I want more Cartman clips,... Moooooooooooooooooom.

roflcopter
24.10.2010 - 20:23
FOOCK Nam

Damn I really like the band name. but too sad their black metal is not quite remarkable to be good in their music element. But if it is good it is great combination with ambient. Can you suggest me any similar band ?
24.10.2010 - 20:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by FOOCK Nam on 24.10.2010 at 20:23

Damn I really like the band name. but too sad their black metal is not quite remarkable to be good in their music element. But if it is good it is great combination with ambient. Can you suggest me any similar band ?

Well, yeah I think you should check out the first demo of Elysian Blaze.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama

Hits total: 4012 | This month: 4