06. Raising The Devil
07. Anchor In The Storm
08. From This Day On
09. Heaven Is No Place For Us
10. Tempestuous
11. Collector Of Tears
12. Faceless
13. Day Of The Lord

I'm really beginning to suspect metal is dying. It's a kind of ironic thing, whenever I hear terrible, terrible metal it makes me hopeful, at least people are still willing to take risks and do something new with the music. Then it comes to albums like this, there's nothing particularly bad about them, but it lacks any sort of re-playable quality. In layman's terms - it's fucking boring.

Generally speaking metal is supposed to be heavy, the common misconception these days that's a big mistake so many younger bands make is idea that the heavy aspect lies in the production. Wrong. Just wrong. Heaviness lies in the power of riff. The Sorrow is a great example of this problem. Yeah, it sounds heavy, but almost all of these riffs are pretty generic and forgettable. The music itself is just a beefed up sounding dime-a-dozen metalcore/hardcore type sound. There's nothing new, and when I say there's nothing new, I don't only mean that in the larger scale of things, but also within the album itself. Origin Of The Storm basically sounds like 3 riffs repeated, played at different speeds (maybe with some different drum patterns here and there).

Saying this album is complete shit is a complete lie though. It is repetitive, derivative and pretty boring, but if you haven't heard the other 600 bands that sound like this, I can see it as being a pretty crushing, aggressive album. The only aspect of this album that may be of some interest to the more seasoned metal fan is the contrasting melodic leads interlaced with the perpetual chugging, but still, that's nothing all too terribly exciting.

The Sorrow has pretty much everything they need - good production, great musicians, and some pretty cool album art to boot, but the execution is just so unremarkable there's no reason to feel bad about passing this one by.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written on 22.10.2010 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 131 users
23.10.2010 - 00:30
Bodom81

I wish this review wasn't written so generically. I mean the descriptions given in this review can be copied and pasted to all the 600 bands the Doc "mentions"

First off, I've listened to the album several times and I like it quite a bit. and I do agree that there's a few songs that bleed into one another and can sound a bit repetitive....

But, the reviewer never mentions once what they actually sound like, if you've never heard them before and read this review to find out, you still wouldn't have a clue on what the band sounds like!

Anyways, The band sounds like Killswitch Engaged(Heartache Era) and quite simply The Sorrow has crafted a better album than Killswitch's last 2 albums...easily. there's many stand out tracks like; From this Day on, Eyes of darkness, Where is the Sun?....and if your new to the band and wanna check em out, I'd start with those tracks....

Catchy chorus sung with clean vocals and lots of melodic hooks. it's typical Metalcore, but GOOD Metalcore, of the 600 generic sounding bands Doc mentions, they'd be among the top.

Also if you do care for this "generic sound" their last album is pretty good ....and you should check that out as well...."Blessings from a Blackened Sky"

Doc phrases the productions and performance but gives absolutely no details....at all...

Hopefully, next time you don't mail the review in. lazy bro.
23.10.2010 - 01:16
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Bodom81 on 23.10.2010 at 00:30

I wish this review wasn't written so generically. I mean the descriptions given in this review can be copied and pasted to all the 600 bands the Doc "mentions"

First off, I've listened to the album several times and I like it quite a bit. and I do agree that there's a few songs that bleed into one another and can sound a bit repetitive....

But, the reviewer never mentions once what they actually sound like, if you've never heard them before and read this review to find out, you still wouldn't have a clue on what the band sounds like!

Anyways, The band sounds like Killswitch Engaged(Heartache Era) and quite simply The Sorrow has crafted a better album than Killswitch's last 2 albums...easily. there's many stand out tracks like; From this Day on, Eyes of darkness, Where is the Sun?....and if your new to the band and wanna check em out, I'd start with those tracks....

Catchy chorus sung with clean vocals and lots of melodic hooks. it's typical Metalcore, but GOOD Metalcore, of the 600 generic sounding bands Doc mentions, they'd be among the top.

Also if you do care for this "generic sound" their last album is pretty good ....and you should check that out as well...."Blessings from a Blackened Sky"

Doc phrases the productions and performance but gives absolutely no details....at all...

I won't disagree with the fact that I wrote this generically, but it aptly reflects the album. We get a huge amount of review requests submitted to us, and when you get yet a constant flow of generic crap like this, it's hard to remain creative for every single one. As far as derivative crap goes, there isn't one that stands above the other considering they all sound pretty much the same anyways. It's like comparing brands of cheap toilet paper.

Secondly, listing off song names does absolutely nothing to further the point you were trying to make.

Quote:

Hopefully, you'll try handling the amount of reviews we do a year, then remain creative and enthusiastic about every single copy cat band you have to listen to.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.10.2010 - 04:05
Winterthrone

Ok, I haven't listened to this album...But Bodom81 has a point, man your review doesn't give a single clue to the reader about the question every reader is asking: "What does this sound like?". man you only repeat they are boring without giving a single valuable reason why. Inspiration is one thing, lazyness is another thing and unfortunately for you you fall in the second category. I read plenty of negative reviews that were 10 000 times more interesting than yours. The quality of the music has nothing to do with the quality of your review.
You state repetitiveness as the main reason to dis this album, but man you're a fan of Motorhead, the most repetitive band on the fucking planet! This is not your best review, just admit it, and you can't blame it on the musicians you criticized because YOU wrote it.
23.10.2010 - 06:10
Rupert

I got to side with Doc here. Sure, he didn't really say what the music sounds like, but if you don't know what metalcore sounds like, it's pretty easy to find out. And you've also been off-planet for far too long. OK review Doc

Hey do the album review requests get sent to specific reviewers, or does Metal Storm receive them and give them out "randomly"?
23.10.2010 - 06:11
Derwood

"The music itself is just a beefed up sounding dime-a-dozen metalcore/hardcore type sound. "

I don't know what review you guys were reading, but that line tells me exactly what this sounds like and Bodom81 saying it sounds like Killswitch Engaged just confirms that this is a very accurate description of the way the music sounds.

Definitely not Doc's best review by a long shot, but the primary complaint so far is baseless.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
23.10.2010 - 13:44
silenius

Written by Derwood on 23.10.2010 at 06:11

"The music itself is just a beefed up sounding dime-a-dozen metalcore/hardcore type sound. "

I don't know what review you guys were reading, but that line tells me exactly what this sounds like and Bodom81 saying it sounds like Killswitch Engaged just confirms that this is a very accurate description of the way the music sounds.

Definitely not Doc's best review by a long shot, but the primary complaint so far is baseless.

exactly what i was going to say! xD
24.10.2010 - 23:01
Bodom81

Hey Doc, I didn't mean to come on so strong like it was a personal attack, I just thought the review was not much a of a review....Derwood found perhaps the only line that described the album. and you probably could have just posted that line and been done with it.

But it's also unfair to lump "600" bands into one. I do understand that it's probably impossible to stay enthusiastic about every review you do...But my assumption is that Metalcore is not really a genre you care much about or most everyone that's posted so far cares about. I think this albums a good metalcore album and if you like metalcore.

I only named those few tracks because I thought those tracks were the best this album had to offer, at least give the band a chance for people that might wanna give this album a listen. Like you said, the guys in the band are very talented musicians...and they've written great hooks and the chorus's are catchy.

A review is just an opinion. I was just hoping to get something more specific to the album and not a review of the genre as a whole. They are a Metalcore band yes, but they are one of the better Metalcore bands.

Sorry to ramble on, but I do appreciate Doc as a reviewer, just didn't care for this review.
25.10.2010 - 08:30
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Well, this is by no means a great review, I won't make that claim by any means. Most reviews (at least the ones I write) are a product of the album. This particular one just left me completely uninspired in any direction whatsoever, so the product was an equally uninspired one.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.10.2010 - 19:54
Bodom81

So....Their new album is coming out today. with improved logo design!
08.12.2010 - 17:56
lugardo

Blah Blah Blah, OH! blah Blah Blah... There, thats the whole album. Hopefully this clears peoples minds about how the band sounds
10.12.2011 - 22:45
dark_mar

For me this album and band sounds very good...have its own style. Like the guitars...vocals, and chorus. Much more interesting than 'in flames or other shit' 10!!! Sow them live supporting Sepultura and like it very much!
11.02.2015 - 11:20
Rating: 8
Dr. Strawberry

Written by Bodom81 on 23.10.2010 at 00:30

I wish this review wasn't written so generically. I mean the descriptions given in this review can be copied and pasted to all the 600 bands the Doc "mentions"....

I agree with you, this is a mf good album.
Doc just don't know what the hell is RHYTHM in music, so-called repetitions actually are their unique styles, its not repetitive but very rhythmic ! This is definitely my top 10 metalcore album, don't compare The Sorrow to K.E, they're better than K.E.

Hits total: 5117 | This month: 10