Metal Storm logo
Favourite Testament Album?

Original post

Posted by , 23.10.2010 - 06:23
Simply put, what is your favourite Testament album? For me, its The Gathering, just awesome riffs and great songs. Whats yours?

Poll

What is your favourite Testament album?

The Legacy
The New Order
The Gathering
Formation of Damnation
Practice What You Preach
Low
Souls of Black
Demonic
The Ritual

Total votes: 107
07.11.2010 - 16:40
BamaMetal25

The New Order is the most rippin'ist album!!!
12.11.2010 - 14:51
Storm Rider

The best album of Testament : The New Order, The Gathering & Formation Of Damnation. That's the best trash metal band
25.11.2010 - 03:20
MightyFuckinThor

It's kinda funny that I find The Gathering to my absolute favorite album, despite the fact that Alex's position was filled by James Murphy (who I know to have once played aside Chuck Schuldiner in Death), and also that the throne behind the drums was occupied by none other than Dave Lombardo, of Slayer, Grip Inc. Line-up aside, this album is balls to the wall heavy, the solos are awesome, even with the absence of Alex Skolnick, and the sound quality is phenomenal. Chuck's vocals roar and tear a new asshole out of anything in their way.
I'd have to say a close second was Low, with yet another guest drummer, John Tempesta, and I can't remember who else was different in the line-up. I think that's a really pounding album, with some of my favorite solos and rhythms of all Testament's catalog... Particularly, Chasing Fear.
25.11.2010 - 06:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by MightyFuckinThor on 25.11.2010 at 03:20
I'd have to say a close second was Low, with yet another guest drummer, John Tempesta, and I can't remember who else was different in the line-up. I think that's a really pounding album, with some of my favorite solos and rhythms of all Testament's catalog... Particularly, Chasing Fear.

Nobody else was different in the line-up. In between "The Ritual" and "Low", both Louie Clemente and Alex Skolnick left the band. Louie was replaced by John Tempesta (who is a great drummer! xD) and Alex was replaced by James Murphy. Although John Tempesta wasnt in the band for long, because not long after "Low" was recorded, he got an offer to join White Zombie, which he accepted. "Low" has some really great material on it, and is probably my fave Testament album without Alex Skolnick in the lineup.
30.11.2010 - 20:13
Guib
Thrash Talker
Personally for me its Practice What You Preach... not only because it was the first Testament that I've listened to, but overall, the songs are well accomplished and catchy. A really good Thrash album from a great band. It was a really hard choice since The Legacy and The New Order kicks ass aswell but yeah my heart goes for Practice.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
30.11.2010 - 22:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guib on 30.11.2010 at 20:13

Personally for me its Practice What You Preach... not only because it was the first Testament that I've listened to, but overall, the songs are well accomplished and catchy. A really good Thrash album from a great band. It was a really hard choice since The Legacy and The New Order kicks ass aswell but yeah my heart goes for Practice.

Practice... is one of my fave Testament albums too! xD Its often overlooked in favour of the first two albums, which is unfair, as imo its a very strong album with many great songs and a good level of consistency. Songs like the title track, and "Sins Of Omission" are quite rightly regarded as true classics of the band. While a fair few of the other tracks, like "Time Is Coming" and "Nightmare (Coming Back To You)" also deserve to be regarded as Testament classics. Its definitely one of their strongest releases imo.
30.11.2010 - 23:45
0rpheus

It's kinda hard to me, I'm swaying between The Legacy & The New Order. I'll vote for The New Order to make the results get a DRAW 15 - 15
----
I would prefer not to.
01.12.2010 - 07:36
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by 0rpheus on 30.11.2010 at 23:45

It's kinda hard to me, I'm swaying between The Legacy & The New Order. I'll vote for The New Order to make the results get a DRAW 15 - 15

Haha nice choice ! I love the draw idea between those two cos really to me they're both pretty equal.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
13.12.2010 - 20:51
Judas The Priest

Theres no bad testament, but I gotta go with formation of damnation, not 1 single song that aint a complete thrash masterpeice with extra headbangin, and after a long anticipated period.
30.12.2010 - 20:51
Stay (sic)

Souls of Friggin Black! ; P
----
Zachy (;
31.12.2010 - 19:11
Rebel Monster

Demonic, the brutal
----
Bad English :p
15.01.2011 - 03:14
Axe Argonian

Although The New Order is a more polished album, The Legacy receives my vote, for on it are my favorite Testament classics ("Burnt Offerings", "Over the Wall", "First Strike Is Deadly", just to name a few). Out of Testament's entire discography, The Legacy also receives the most attention on my iPod.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
15.01.2011 - 03:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Axe Argonian on 15.01.2011 at 03:14

Although The New Order is a more polished album, The Legacy receives my vote, for on it are my favorite Testament classics ("Burnt Offerings", "Over the Wall", "First Strike Is Deadly", just to name a few). Out of Testament's entire discography, The Legacy also receives the most attention on my iPod.

The New Order being more polished is its biggest downfall. Testament is at its best when its not polished. The polished sound kills the bite.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.01.2011 - 03:31
Axe Argonian

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.01.2011 at 03:22

The New Order being more polished is its biggest downfall. Testament is at its best when its not polished. The polished sound kills the bite.

That is true in some cases, but polish and production aren't necessarily bad aspects when applied to certain bands and certain albums. For example, low-fi production defines most black metal music and gives it a very raw edge, but on the other hand, high-quality production is quite complementary to a band like, say, Dream Theater. It's all about how appropriate the production quality and the polish are.

Regarding Testament's case, I don't really care. Chuck Billy will always sound awesome, regardless of how polished Testament's music is.
----
"Man does at all times only what he wills, and yet he does this necessarily. But this is because he already is what he wills." - Arthur Schopenhauer
15.01.2011 - 06:18
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Axe Argonian on 15.01.2011 at 03:31

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.01.2011 at 03:22

That is true in some cases, but polish and production aren't necessarily bad aspects when applied to certain bands and certain albums. For example, low-fi production defines most black metal music and gives it a very raw edge, but on the other hand, high-quality production is quite complementary to a band like, say, Dream Theater. It's all about how appropriate the production quality and the polish are.

Regarding Testament's case, I don't really care. Chuck Billy will always sound awesome, regardless of how polished Testament's music is.

And we are talking about thrash here... not nice and refined power or prog. part of what made thrash thrash was the edge and reckless intensity, aspects which get lost when scrubbing the music nice and sterile clean.

when i think of the thrash albums i like most - Reign In Blood, Bonded By Blood, Darkness Descends... In Blood, Eternal Nightmare, Pleasure To Kill, Terror and Submission - they all have kind of sloppy production.

Peace Sells, Master of Lightning both have pretty decent production, but the rest of the list has lots of bite.

as does the Legacy, which is a big part of the reason it's my favorite TestamenT album.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.03.2011 - 04:01
IDieForMetal

Practice What You Preach, The Legacy, The New Order, The Gathering are my favorite albums of Testament. Fucking Thrash Metal.:banger:
24.03.2011 - 13:13
Vivi'

I like their first albums, but I voted for the last one on purpose - I thought no one had voted for it. But I'm glad to see I wasn't right.
24.03.2011 - 16:13
Yasmine

Low and Practice, my fave song is Dog Faced Gods.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
24.03.2011 - 18:57
marouco

The Legacy
02.04.2011 - 00:04
blacktooth85

The Gathering along with The New Order and The Legacy are my favorites. Formation of Damnation is pretty kick ass too. I can't wait for their new one!
28.05.2011 - 23:15
king_matt

The Legacy is my favorite. Some of the best Testament songs on there like Over The Wall, Burnt Offerings, and First Strike Is Deadly. Practice What You Preach is a close second.

I always thought The Gathering was a horribly overrated album. For some reason it just doesn't appeal to me like the ones mentioned above.

I also think Souls Of Black is an underrated album. That album kicks ass!
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
06.06.2011 - 07:34
GroundZero

"Souls of Black" is the best Testament album. It has amazing riffs and solos.
10.06.2011 - 20:21
ADIresiduos

The New Order!! Awesome album!!
16.06.2011 - 06:52
ToMegaTherion

I must say before i state my opinion that i like all of their albums. By grading them all I'll hopefully demonstrate this
The Legacy - 9.5
The New Order - 9.3
Practice What You Preach 9.3
Souls of Black - 8.9
The Ritual - 9
Low - 9
Demonic - 8.7
The Gathering - 9.6
The Formation of Damnation - 9.2
16.06.2023 - 06:55
The Legacy is my favorite Testament album. It's also one of my favorite albums ever.