03. Les Feuilles De L'Olivier
04. Song For Mountains
05. Sur Les Quais
06. Effet De Nuit
07. Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées
08. Chanson D'Automne
09. Svipdagr & Freyja
10. Une Matinée D'Hiver

Les Discrets have to be one of France's most beautiful acts and best kept secrets that started sparkling since the split with the rising force Alcest. Fursy Teyssier and Winterhalter of Amesoeurs fame, with the second one partaking in the drumming sector as a member of Alcest as well, complete the band along with Audrey Hadorn. So it's not the first time both of them work with Neige, in fact they are much closer than just a split and in my mind this makes those three acts a family, at least in sound matters.

Shoegaze with a heavier edge is what you will find lying in the sound corridors of Les Discrets and Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées is their debut album. The cover artwork holds a menacing dreamlike aura, drowned in shades of grey it welcomes the listener in the most appropriate way.

Hallucinating, that's how one could refer to Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées as you lose yourself in its sophisticated bittersweet sound pathways, melancholic and at the same time soothing, reflecting an introvert gentle fight that ends in a bonded by blood relation. Everything you're longing for is actually here in fine shape, unfolding with sincerety all those fragile soundscapes that overwhelm you, injected tenderly at every pore of your body. Dreamy keyboard passages that float all over the place, harmonic chords and acoustic moments with this omnipresent dual feeling, heavier guitars with a lurking misty aura and whistling endings, soloing ideas that do not exaggerate, creative drum work and gentle bass lines and a vocal interpretation that intends to seduce your mind with its elegant magnificence. It's not that hard for the band to make you lay down your weapons and surrender into this maelstrom of emotions Les Discrets so beautifully managed to evoke, heart-rending and devout at the same time.

Everything that seemed obscure and devouring in the beginning with "L' Envol Des Corbeaux", seeks and finally finds salvation deep within the ending theme, "Une Matinee D' Hiver". Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées is a beauteous journey unaffected by outdoor influences as it holds a universe of its own in which the artist pours himself; and so does the listener in advance. Proceed with the hand at the place where the heart lies and Les Discrets won't dissapoint you, one of the finest releases of 2010. Suffocation never felt so amiable before.

Drownlights: Ten compositions, 43 minutes.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 23.10.2010 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 363 users
24.10.2010 - 02:09
Rating: 8
Elio
Red Nightmare
I love Alcest. I love Amesoeurs. I had listened and liked Les Discrets' EP. So it's obvious I was anxiously waiting for their debut album.

I was not disappointed. As very well said in the review, this album is great shoegaze/black metal stuff, it got what I wanted and expected. In my top10 metal albums of the year.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
24.10.2010 - 03:08
advent

Once again, ur review will force me to check this band
24.10.2010 - 03:18
Ragana
Rawrcat
I'm quite new to this kind of music but this album is simply amazing. Amazingly dreamy.
24.10.2010 - 06:27
Rating: 9
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I love french metal, well, kind of, so I'll surely try this release
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
24.10.2010 - 06:32
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I'm glad this album was reviewed on metalstorm. Excellent write up.
----
Brujerizmo!
24.10.2010 - 13:25
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Very good album and fabulously written review! It's lacking in the originality department though
----
loves 小巫
24.10.2010 - 20:56
Sunioj

I like this better than anything Alcest or Ameseours ever done.
07.11.2010 - 01:30
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by Sunioj on 24.10.2010 at 20:56

I like this better than anything Alcest or Amesoeurs ever done.

Well, can't say too much about Alcest, but Amesoeurs it's like a failed attempt to make something bigger, it was something very ambitious but in the end it doesn't survive to the hype created by the people that recommend that album as if it was the second coming of the Christ.

But this one is totally different, a really memorable album from the first to the last song, I love the feeling created by the music of this album, it's just like the cover artwork, pure gray melancholy, oh my, I really love this, and the lyrics are simply beautiful.

Thanks for the review, Rozzen, this is a very precious gem indeed!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
07.11.2010 - 09:12
Sunioj

Written by Daggon on 07.11.2010 at 01:30

Written by Sunioj on 24.10.2010 at 20:56

I like this better than anything Alcest or Amesoeurs ever done.

Well, can't say too much about Alcest, but Amesoeurs it's like a failed attempt to make something bigger, it was something very ambitious but in the end it doesn't survive to the hype created by the people that recommend that album as if it was the second coming of the Christ.

But this one is totally different, a really memorable album from the first to the last song, I love the feeling created by the music of this album, it's just like the cover artwork, pure gray melancholy, oh my, I really love this, and the lyrics are simply beautiful.

Thanks for the review, Rozzen, this is a very precious gem indeed!

Well, I won't say that I don't like either band - its just this seems like such a great evolution in terms of sound (with the said musicians). I just like this better, I connect better and I feel it isn't as abrupt as the other bands we're talking about. It seems very thought out and it seems like the music must've taken awhile to write. Very good stuff.
17.11.2010 - 18:48
Rating: 10
Susan
Smeghead
Great review Rozz, you definitely hit the heart of this music.

It's as if someone extracted all the beauty, tenderness, and passion from a dark metal sound and laid it out, bare, to wash over you like a wave. That's what this album is to me.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 9611 | This month: 20