03. Time
04. Mockers
05. Not Enough
06. The Last Tear
07. Home
08. I Ceased
09. A Single Touch
10. Why

Before reading any further - people, please remember to keep your brains inside your skulls and please remember a little word called "perspective". UnSun is a really melodic, accessible, and somewhat poppy sounding band. If you're expecting to hear a Gorguts tribute album while listening to an album called Clinic For Dolls, then there is seriously something wrong with you. With that said, let's move on, shall we?

UnSun play a pretty straight forward keyboard drenched, female fronted form of melodic metal. I suppose some would consider UnSun "gothic metal", but a title such as that would give off the wrong impression for an album like this, as gothic generally implies that there is some sort of dark atmosphere somewhere. Despite lyrical content which carries more of a darker emotional tone to it, the overall feeling of the album is fairly bright, what with its soaring guitar & vocal leads and epic keyboards that dominate the album.

So what about quality? With an album like this it's difficult to say, it brings us back to perspective. It's poppy, soft, catchy and about as melodic as it gets. There is some solid heavy riffing throughout the album (the guitar solo in "I Ceased" being one of the strongest points), but this band doesn't seem to have any delusions as to their targeted fan base; in other words, they're clearly not trying to be the next Slayer. That being said, the heavier moments are great, songs like "Time" and "Why" have a fantastic contrast of melody versus aggression, unfortunately these moments tend to be a little too few and far between to give the album an overall heavy feel to it.

Obviously not an album for extreme metal fans, but definitely worth checking out if melody is what you value most in your metal. You know, the whole Nightwish type appeal.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 25.10.2010 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 273 users
25.10.2010 - 11:22
Merchant of Doom

Is this H.E.R.? Female version of H.I.M.?

EDIT: listening to more samples on MySpace... she is a bit shouty, but this is catchy as hell! And I fancy the woman (is she the singer?) on the cover... I think I should frequent goth "metallers" a bit more... lol
25.10.2010 - 11:48
Daniell
_爱情_
This is Aya (real name Anna), the wife of Maurycy Stefanowicz, a.k.a. Mauser, former guitarist of Vader. Mauser left Vader to make this band. And yes, she is the singer.
25.10.2010 - 12:01
Merchant of Doom

Written by Daniell on 25.10.2010 at 11:48

This is Aya (real name Anna), the wife of Maurycy Stefanowicz, a.k.a. Mauser, former guitarist of Vader. Mauser left Vader to make this band. And yes, she is the singer.

rats, she is already taken!
25.10.2010 - 13:05
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Very fair review, Doc! I was thinking of writing one myself, guess I don't have to now
----
loves 小巫
25.10.2010 - 15:29
Jon

haha really? people do all kinds of funny shit when they find love huh.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
25.10.2010 - 16:37
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Jon on 25.10.2010 at 15:29

I'd rather think that it wasn't any funny shit. As you probably know, Peter is basically the only music writer in Vader, so Mauser could not make any music in there. Maybe he preferred to change style, but in return have a lot to say music-wise.
25.10.2010 - 17:01
Jon

Written by Daniell on 25.10.2010 at 16:37

Written by Jon on 25.10.2010 at 15:29

I'd rather think that it wasn't any funny shit. As you probably know, Peter is basically the only music writer in Vader, so Mauser could not make any music in there. Maybe he preferred to change style, but in return have a lot to say music-wise.

that may be the case.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
25.10.2010 - 18:30
Rating: 5
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Im actually really liking this album although there are a few tracks which kinda suck (Title track for one), but there are also some really great songs as well! Im liking Mockers, Not Enough and A Single Touch the most but the ones mentioned in the review are also good!
26.10.2010 - 17:15
Rating: 7
Dominus
The Shooter
Enjoyable album
22.11.2010 - 13:02
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Very honest review. I couldn't agree more!
27.12.2010 - 04:55
Rating: 3
Susan
Smeghead
Pointless pop drivel like this is the reason why the term "female-fronted metal" makes so many metal heads want to vomit.

There is real talent and musicality out there amongst bands with female singers, if you're looking for an ounce of that then don't bother with this "band."
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 7980 | This month: 20