Metal Storm logo
Scariest Movie, Book, Or Game in your opinion?

Original post

Posted by whatsacow, 29.10.2010 - 15:18
Simple, what is the scariest thing you have ever read, played or seen? Personally, I find that not much really scares me in movies or books now days. However, Silent hill 2 or 3 have to go down for the scariest games i have ever played.
30.04.2012 - 01:41
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Some of Dario Argento movies are really scary in my opinion, his gore movies are really full of thrills and darkness ... :/ what you think
03.05.2012 - 05:18
Crucifux
Account deleted
Amnesia: The Dark Descent for sure. 12389793487523048x creepier than Dead Space or Silent Hill or all those other popular horror series, I could barely tolerate the fear even when I had my friends playing with me.
03.05.2012 - 14:58
Edmund Fogg
What was that game on Gamecube that played on fear and had a stress meter. The game was design so your stress meter would fill up and then weird shit started to happen to your character, the level or just the whole freaking screen. It was about a book of the dead and the lives of diofferent heroes throught time that contributed to its making. I don't remember the title, but that game freaked me out.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
03.05.2012 - 19:11
whatsacow
Written by Edmund Fogg on 03.05.2012 at 14:58

What was that game on Gamecube that played on fear and had a stress meter. The game was design so your stress meter would fill up and then weird shit started to happen to your character, the level or just the whole freaking screen. It was about a book of the dead and the lives of diofferent heroes throught time that contributed to its making. I don't remember the title, but that game freaked me out.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requim. Great game.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
03.05.2012 - 20:02
Edmund Fogg
Written by whatsacow on 03.05.2012 at 19:11

Yeah that's it! Thx, too bad the game kinda never got any attention and vanished pretty quickly.
----
04.05.2012 - 02:02
whatsacow
Written by Edmund Fogg on 03.05.2012 at 20:02

Written by whatsacow on 03.05.2012 at 19:11

Yeah that's it! Thx, too bad the game kinda never got any attention and vanished pretty quickly.

It got a decent amount... I think it was more critical than commercial though. All my friends were talking about it back in the day...
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
05.05.2012 - 19:32
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Guest on 03.05.2012 at 05:18

Amnesia: The Dark Descent for sure. 12389793487523048x creepier than Dead Space or Silent Hill or all those other popular horror series, I could barely tolerate the fear even when I had my friends playing with me.

Bah, it's a point and click game, just wasn't my thing.
----
rekt
05.05.2012 - 23:34
Crucifux
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 05.05.2012 at 19:32

Bah, it's a point and click game, just wasn't my thing.

If Amnesia is point-and-click, then wouldn't F.E.A.R. and Doom 3 also be point-and-click? :
I don't blame you for not liking it though, the fear kind of sucked all the fun out of it for me. I'll probably never finish it.
06.05.2012 - 00:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 05.05.2012 at 23:34

If Amnesia is point-and-click, then wouldn't F.E.A.R. and Doom 3 also be point-and-click? :

I find Doom 3 way more scary tbh probably because the sounds and visuals are more fucked up I would say.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.05.2012 - 22:22
Edmund Fogg
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.05.2012 at 00:22

I find Doom 3 way more scary tbh probably because the sounds and visuals are more fucked up I would say.

To me F.E.A.R. (the first one) wins this game. I was a thing for creepy japanese girl and I thought DOOM 3 used way to many closet monsters that it becomes predictable.
----
08.05.2012 - 22:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Edmund Fogg on 08.05.2012 at 22:22

To me F.E.A.R. (the first one) wins this game. I was a thing for creepy japanese girl and I thought DOOM 3 used way to many closet monsters that it becomes predictable.

To me, creepy japanese-looking girls are more predictable Or maybe they just don't freak me out.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.05.2012 - 23:13
@gent_-_orange
Written by X-Ray Rod on 06.05.2012 at 00:22

I don't find Doom 3 scary although it is a good game, The horror effect diminishes when you are given enough weapons to wipe out a small nation. Good FPS though.
08.05.2012 - 23:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by @gent_-_orange on 08.05.2012 at 23:13

The horror effect diminishes when you are given enough weapons to wipe out a small nation. Good FPS though.

Well I gotta say I didn't play that much so everytime I played... I was still low on ammo so I freaked out a lot. xD
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.05.2012 - 23:24
@gent_-_orange
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.05.2012 at 23:15

Well I gotta say I didn't play that much so everytime I played... I was still low on ammo so I freaked out a lot. xD

Haha I see. The only games that came close to really scaring me would either be Amnesia the Dark Descent, Eternal Darkness or the Call of Chthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth (underrated game that one), all 3 games have a real Lovecraftian angle about them (obvious for COC) and they are all really good at fucking with your head.
25.05.2012 - 20:10
Dark Blood
The Avenger

I haven't tried Amnesia yet. I played Penumbra though, and it was interesting, but I honestly got somewhat bored. I really have to try Amnesia though.

Have you ever played Fatal Frame (or Project Zero depending of your region). I'm a big fan of horror games/films and I have to say that franchise is the most unsettling I've come across.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
28.05.2012 - 09:39
YureiYumi
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.04.2012 at 01:41

Some of Dario Argento movies are really scary in my opinion, his gore movies are really full of thrills and darkness ... :/ what you think

I've only seen the bird with the crystal plumage and suspiria. these two i havent found scary, but they were disturbing... i have to watch the rest and let you know what i thought. Im a lover of asian horror. but i also like older stuff likes tales from the crypt. The actual concept of telling of the way we died over and over again stirs me, in some way it reminds me of dantes inferno
03.07.2012 - 18:01
kesh
Account deleted
Been playing ArmA 2: Day Z.

Been on for a few days, few work mates on it, started at night, been real time, it was pitch black, knocked my flash light on an it was like ringing the dinner bell. Spent the first few hours basically crawling around shitting myself, the zombies are the 28 Days Later type and there are alot of bastards about, wanting to kill you for your stuff. Pretty subversive too, in real life i find myself saying "walkers", "contact" alot now.
08.07.2012 - 23:14
whatsacow
Really enjoying Marble Hornets atm. It's quite creepy and cool, especially for a web show.
----
18.07.2012 - 16:27
helofloki
First two silent hills even with the old crappy graphics. Brilliant games that terrify with more than just shit jumping out of nowhere. These games create a sense of doom and helplessness in the player and somehow this becomes important to the very story itself. Really good stuff. Also, someone mentioned fatal frame. Only creepy game I think that can compare to silent hill's level of insanity. One of the best elements there is that there's no weapons aside from your camera. Just excellent style here.

I feel it's easier to have a scary game than move or book because you have a little more investment in the character. Though I would say HP Lovecraft has definitely frightened me before and that's why he's a master. I also enjoyed Mark Z. Danielewsky's 'House of Leaves'. He does a real good job of illustrating something that should not be, giving the scene a kind of depth that makes you feel like you're standing over a precipice you can't see and are starting to lose your balance.
18.07.2012 - 18:18
Sync
Account deleted
Ju-On: The Grudge.

That shiz just freaks me out.
26.07.2012 - 18:05
whatsacow
Try a game called slender. It's a free downloadable game and its pretty intense.
----