07. New World Order
08. Fast Lane
09. Black Swan
10. Wrecker
11. Millennium Of The Blind
12. Deadly Nightshade
13. 13

Additional info
Exclusive limited vinyl edition includes Th1rt3en split across two picture-discs, retaining the correct track order. Each disc includes art from the album package as well as an exclusive album poster

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
2011 set big expectations for Megadeth for that year and for 2012. After huge "Big 4" shows, the return of Dave Ellefson and "the kiss and make up" between Dave Mustaine, Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield, finally two of the pioneers of thrash metal, Megadeth and Metallica are together. Certainly Th1rt3en is a great way to show the good vibes they are transmitting since 2010.

Read more ››
published 05.02.2012 | Comments (17)

Found in 52 lists
Top lists

Comments page 6 / 8

Comments: 236   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 1789 users
06.11.2011 - 09:07
Rating: 8
Garth Vader

The video for "Public Enemy" is epic win funny. Who doesn't like monkey antics and tommy-guns??! And I guess the raging battle of the bands between Mega-dave and Metalli-field is now officially over seeing as how "Lulu" is now the all time worst album ever rated by a human being on Metalstorm...even monkeys know to stay away!
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
07.11.2011 - 14:04
Fredd
Account deleted
Aftere lulu, anything is a masterpiece.
07.11.2011 - 15:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Garth Vader on 06.11.2011 at 09:07

The video for "Public Enemy" is epic win funny. Who doesn't like monkey antics and tommy-guns??! And I guess the raging battle of the bands between Mega-dave and Metalli-field is now officially over seeing as how "Lulu" is now the all time worst album ever rated by a human being on Metalstorm...even monkeys know to stay away!

As if the video for "Public Enemy" wasn't awesome enough, here's Megadeth in full Halloween costume (Dave as Frankenstein, Jr. as The Wolfman, Chris as The Phantom Of The Opera, and Shawn as Dracula ) performing the song on Jimmy "Donkey Kong" Kimmel Live!

They also performed "Peace Sells", "Symphony Of Destruction" and "Holy Wars", but none of these were televised...
08.11.2011 - 08:22
Rating: 7
terrorist

Written by Angelic Storm on 05.11.2011 at 19:38

Written by Zombie on 03.11.2011 at 23:20
but i have to admit that i didn't really enjoy it ...i'll give it a few more listens, maybe its one of those albums who need some getting used-to first, but this definitely mean that it isn't "Catchy" by any means.

I've heard the album a few times now, but it wasn't till yesterday when I listened to it with headphones on that it really started sounding great to me. Not the whole album though, the songs I thought were dull and boring to start with, I do still think that about them. But songs like "Public Enemy", "Whose Life..." and "Never Dead" sounded way better than I had intially thought. The good songs definitely are catchy, as I was finding myself singing along and headbanging to the good songs on the album yesterday. lol

Ok listen to this albums or couple of songs from this album several times and then play for example something from Countdown to extinction or Rust i peace or Youthanasia etc. This album, for me, could have been far more better concerning that david elefson is back in a band.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
08.11.2011 - 08:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by terrorist on 08.11.2011 at 08:22
Ok listen to this albums or couple of songs from this album several times and then play for example something from Countdown to extinction or Rust i peace or Youthanasia etc. This album, for me, could have been far more better concerning that david elefson is back in a band.

It's not as good as RIP, no way, and Youth is far more consistent in it's quality of material, even though "13" is more varied, which makes it a more interesting listen. Could it have been a lot better? Absolutely, there's no question about it. But still, there are some good songs on the album, and I prefer it overall to the last couple of Megadeth albums...
08.11.2011 - 10:14
Zombie94

^ awesome. So far the main thing holding the album back is the lyrics. The music is as usual awesome (Broderick is now reaching Marty Friedman levels of guitar soloing greatness)...but the lyrics are so damn generic and boring. Usually lyrics don't really bother me, so long as the music is good, but the ones on this album are so poor that it feels like it's actually holding it back from being a great album. Even Endgame had some average lyrics but they didn't distract from the music. That being said songs like Public Enemy No 1 are still catchy and I'm hoping that the rest of the album will grow on me like that song has.
08.11.2011 - 20:20
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Quote:
Broderick is now reaching Marty Friedman levels of guitar soloing greatness

Apparently some people still fail to see the difference between soulful bends or arpeggios intentionally played at medium-speed to give the maximum amount of feeling and 25 note-per-second scale runs that amaze just for their technique.

Broderick's good, but he ain't no Friedman and I don't see how he would ever be.
09.11.2011 - 20:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Zombie94 on 08.11.2011 at 10:14
That being said songs like Public Enemy No 1 are still catchy and I'm hoping that the rest of the album will grow on me like that song has.

Public Enemy was a song that very much underwhelmed me when I first heard it... But repeated plays of it has made me really love it, and the key to a catchy song, is that you feel like singing along to it. And now I always sing along to it when I hear it.

The album as a whole, is too patchy to ever really gain good momentum, but still, I can't deny that tracks like "Millennium Of The Blind", "New World Order", "Never Dead", and "Deadly Nightshade" are great Megadeth songs.
10.11.2011 - 02:00
Rating: 9
thewall30

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.11.2011 at 20:12

That being said songs like Public Enemy No 1 are still catchy and I'm hoping that the rest of the album will grow on me like that song has.

Public Enemy was a song that very much underwhelmed me when I first heard it... But repeated plays of it has made me really love it, and the key to a catchy song, is that you feel like singing along to it. And now I always sing along to it when I hear it.

The album as a whole, is too patchy to ever really gain good momentum, but still, I can't deny that tracks like "Millennium Of The Blind", "New World Order", "Never Dead", and "Deadly Nightshade" are great Megadeth songs.

I could'nt agree with you more, i felt the exact same way about Public Enemy but its now become one of my favorite songs on the album! If i had top pick my favorite song from Th1rt3en it would have to be either Black Swan or the album closer 13, glad to see Megadeth is back and their stronger then ever
----
10.11.2011 - 02:04
Rating: 5
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I never thought I'd read about Black Swan being a favorite. That song is the epitome of generic.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.11.2011 - 08:29
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by thewall30 on 10.11.2011 at 02:00
I could'nt agree with you more, i felt the exact same way about Public Enemy but its now become one of my favorite songs on the album! If i had top pick my favorite song from Th1rt3en it would have to be either Black Swan or the album closer 13, glad to see Megadeth is back and their stronger then ever

I think my intial disappointment with that song, was because it wasn't a technical thrashfest, which is what I wanted to hear. But after a few times hearing the song, with no certain expectations, it grew on me, and I really can't deny it's catchiness!

I loved the original version of "Black Swan", but the re-recording that's on 13 is definitely inferior IMO... As for the title track, it's quite good, but it's very anti-climatic for me. It's a song that feels as if it's missing something, as if the whole song is a build up to an awesome crescendo that never arrives. I like it, but it feels more like a missed opportunity to be a great song, rather than that being what it actually is.

If I was to rate all the songs on the album individually, this is probably how I'd rate them:

Sudden Death: 9/10
Public Enemy No.1: 10/10
Whose Life...: 9/10
We The People: 7/10
Guns, Drugs & Money: 5/10
Never Dead: 10/10
New World Order: 10/10
Fast Lane: 7/10
Black Swan: 8/10 (9/10 for the original version)
Wrecker: 7/10
Millennium Of The Blind: 10/10
Deadly Nightshade: 10/10
13: 7.5/10
10.11.2011 - 11:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
Is it just me or have the vox been polished with Windex one time too many?

Also Dave should quit it already with his "Expose the New World Order and the Illuminati" babble.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.11.2011 - 11:28
RockeRoy

Don't you guys think this is to damn bluesy?
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
10.11.2011 - 14:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 10.11.2011 at 11:25
Also Dave should quit it already with his "Expose the New World Order and the Illuminati" babble.

Nick Menza actually wrote the lyrics to "New World Order"...
10.11.2011 - 18:05
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.11.2011 at 14:14
Nick Menza actually wrote the lyrics to "New World Order"...

I'm not talking only about that.

The whole Endgame album (lyrics, cover art, everything) is about the New World Order, in case you haven't noticed. Endgame's cover art is the FEMA camp roundup. Davey has done several interviews with Alex Jones and other 9/11 truthers. It's one of his most recent goals: to spread the 'truth' about the NWO.

Newsflash.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
10.11.2011 - 18:42
Zombie94

Written by Carl Berg on 08.11.2011 at 20:20

Quote:
Broderick is now reaching Marty Friedman levels of guitar soloing greatness

Apparently some people still fail to see the difference between soulful bends or arpeggios intentionally played at medium-speed to give the maximum amount of feeling and 25 note-per-second scale runs that amaze just for their technique.

Broderick's good, but he ain't no Friedman and I don't see how he would ever be.

I didn't understand most of that. Oh well, Broderick's solos just sound great to me anyway. I actually still prefer Friedman's work but Mustaine certainly found a damn good guitarist for these last 2 albums.
10.11.2011 - 18:45
Zombie94

Written by Angelic Storm on 09.11.2011 at 20:12

Yeah I've started to really like the first 4 tracks, they are catchy after a few playthroughs. I still need to give the album a couple more listens before I can give a final verdict but I'd agree that it seems it just isn't consistent enough.
11.11.2011 - 02:42
thewall30

Written by Troy Killjoy on 10.11.2011 at 02:04

I never thought I'd read about Black Swan being a favorite. That song is the epitome of generic.

I would have to disagree with you on that one
----
11.11.2011 - 08:24
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by thewall30 on 11.11.2011 at 02:42
I would have to disagree with you on that one

Apparently a great deal of people disagree with me on that. Different standards I guess.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.11.2011 - 01:21
AXA

Mustaine ...i think the Mustaine the godfather of all heavy trash metal this time
this album just awesome new album ...
in this album more great full tunes .. and very nice lyric
i can taste new ideas in this album .. i say this is the top heavy trash metal album this year
thanks Mustaine
13.11.2011 - 05:03
JÄY
Metal slave
I downloaded this just to get a taste, but couldnt make it past the 3rd or 4th track. Ratings tell me maybe I should give this another try. Whuddya think, my peeps?
13.11.2011 - 07:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by JÄY on 13.11.2011 at 05:03
Ratings tell me maybe I should give this another try. Whuddya think, my peeps?

I say the ratings are unjustified and are mostly a reflection of Metallica fanboy abandonment issues. This is a mediocre album.
----
13.11.2011 - 07:32
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.11.2011 at 07:29

I say the ratings are unjustified and are mostly a reflection of Metallica fanboy abandonment issues. This is a mediocre album.

I wonder why someone would want to abandon Metallica fanboyism at a time like this? THE MYSTERIES OF LIFE.
13.11.2011 - 07:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by JÄY on 13.11.2011 at 07:32
I wonder why someone would want to abandon Metallica fanboyism at a time like this? THE MYSTERIES OF LIFE.

I have no idea. The world just works in mysterious ways like that sometimes.
----
14.11.2011 - 22:57
John Shock

Written by AXA on 13.11.2011 at 01:21

Mustaine ...i think the Mustaine the godfather of all heavy trash metal this time
i can taste new ideas in this album .. i say this is the top heavy trash metal album this year
thanks Mustaine

I can't taste new ideas about this album and i think that mustaine is trying to sold out again, but it's just my impression, i reeealy hope that i'm wrong...besides, Dave Mustaine is my biggest inspiration and of course my favorite guitar player!
15.11.2011 - 23:46
Mattybu

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.11.2011 at 07:29

Realistically though even a 4/10 would put this album leagues above Metallica's latest. Unless I read what you wrote wrong which may render what I just wrote irrelevant but nonetheless true.

As for my thoughts on the album, it's really nothing special, but it's not that bad either. Has it's moments.
16.11.2011 - 01:48
Rating: 8
Mad Mike

If anyone thinks my rating is too high... I listened to this album right after listened to lulu...
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
16.11.2011 - 05:44
AXA

Written by John Shock on 14.11.2011 at 22:57

thanks Mustaine

I can't taste new ideas about this album and i think that mustaine is trying to sold out again, but it's just my impression, i reeealy hope that i'm wrong...besides, Dave Mustaine is my biggest inspiration and of course my favorite guitar player!

I think Th1rt3en album seem to be like Endgame album ... but there it is more new tunes with very nice and rules lyric
awesome playing guitar Mustaine with drummer Shawn Drover
and Chris Broderick awful playing in :Guns, Drugs, & Money and other songs .
i can taste this one really awesome Thrash metal album .
16.11.2011 - 11:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mad Mike on 16.11.2011 at 01:48

If anyone thinks my rating is too high... I listened to this album right after listened to lulu...

It really shouldn't bother you what anyone else thinks of your rating.
16.11.2011 - 12:16
John Shock

Written by AXA on 16.11.2011 at 05:44

Written by John Shock on 14.11.2011 at 22:57

thanks Mustaine

I think Th1rt3en album seem to be like Endgame album ... but there it is more new tunes with very nice and rules lyric
awesome playing guitar Mustaine with drummer Shawn Drover
and Chris Broderick awful playing in :Guns, Drugs, & Money and other songs .
i can taste this one really awesome Thrash metal album .

I must agree with you...but guns, drugs & Money is the weaker song of the album, i think he has better performances in here!

Hits total: 45298 | This month: 63