Metal Storm logo
Agalloch - Two New Songs Streaming Online

Original news, published on 31.10.2010

"The Watcher's Monolith", a brand-new Agalloch track is streaming on Stereogum. Go have a listen here and weigh in with your thoughts in the comment section.

As reported back in September, Agalloch completed work on their fourth full-length entitled Marrow Of The Spirit. A release date is set for November 23 via Profound Lore Records.

Marrow Of The Spirit is the first album to feature new drummer Aesop Dekker ( Ludicra) and features guest appearances by cellist Jackie Perez Gratz (Grayceon, Giant Squid, Asunder, Amber Asylum), Jeffrey Neblock (Vindensang), and Nathan Carson (Witch Mountain, Two-Ton Boa, Sunn O)))).

Marrow Of The Spirit was recorded and mixed through the means of exquisite vintage gear within the months of July and August in Portland, Oregon at Audible Alchemy Studios with (Faust guitarist) Steven Wray Lobdell and mastered and manifested in San Francisco, California at Trakworx Studios with Justin Weis ( Ludicra, Slough Feg, Hammers Of Misfortune).

Marrow Of The Spirit [cover artwork] tracklist:

01. They Escaped The Weight Of Darkness
02. Into The Painted Grey
03. The Watcher's Monolith
04. Black Lake Nidstang
05. Ghosts Of The Midwinter Fires
06. To Drown

UPDATE (thanks to Guest and Bad English)

Another new Agalloch song, called "Ghosts Of The Midwinter Fires", is now available for streaming over at this location.

Source: stereogum.com
Band profile: Agalloch
Posted: 02.11.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 25   Visited by: 306 users
31.10.2010 - 16:35
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Sounds great. Reminds me of "The Mantle" but a bit more melodic.
31.10.2010 - 16:39
Kenos
Account deleted
OMG.

Edit - well, first impression is: nothing extraordinary. I find the song a bit bland, with some cool solos here and there and a really nice atmospheric piano at the end, but the overall stuff didn't surprise me. It's good nevertheless, just not good enough for an Agalloch song. Maybe it'll grow on me with more listens.
31.10.2010 - 18:22
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Ahhhhhhhh ,, pure awesomeness ,, and the best album for 2010 is ......... Marrow Of The Spirit
31.10.2010 - 19:56
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Guest on 31.10.2010 at 18:29

The song would be ok if it was a first demo song of some unknown band.

Really? Thats pretty harsh. I think the song is fantastic.
31.10.2010 - 20:21
Odium

I have such high hopes for this album...
31.10.2010 - 23:19
Everlost

The snare sounds a bit weird in the mix, but further sounds like solid Agalloch to me. Still looking forward to the album.
01.11.2010 - 01:56
Ander

This song is an absolute grower. At first I was like "meh", then I played it ten more times.

Can't. Fucking. Wait.
01.11.2010 - 02:42
0rpheus

Written by Guest on 31.10.2010 at 16:39

OMG.

Edit - well, first impression is: nothing extraordinary. I find the song a bit bland, with some cool solos here and there and a really nice atmospheric piano at the end, but the overall stuff didn't surprise me. It's good nevertheless, just not good enough for an Agalloch song. Maybe it'll grow on me with more listens.

The same here but let us hope the rest of the album would be more surprising!
----
I would prefer not to.
01.11.2010 - 05:08
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I really dug it, nice, epic, and atmospheric. Like better produced Mantel song.
01.11.2010 - 18:43
InnerSelf
proofread free
I will not listen to the song .... I'll be waiting for the full-length to enjoy the whole thing together
and for the people disappointed : Agalloch writes music that needs lots of time to click on the listener "though being very accessible". so don't judge the album fast
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.11.2010 - 21:47
Glabrezu

Written by InnerSelf on 01.11.2010 at 18:43

I will not listen to the song .... I'll be waiting for the full-length to enjoy the whole thing together

Neither do I.. I can wait for other 3 weeks
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
01.11.2010 - 22:30
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
I don't think I've been this excited about an album since Ashes Against The Grain
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
02.11.2010 - 00:40
SoulScarred

Written by InnerSelf on 01.11.2010 at 18:43

and for the people disappointed : Agalloch writes music that needs lots of time to click on the listener "though being very accessible". so don't judge the album fast

Same here, I will just wait a couple of weeks more though I'm too curious to listen to this one
02.11.2010 - 10:08
Bigpaul

Hmmmm.....based on the 2 songs it sounds to me like the clean production has made the music loose a bit of the atmosphere present on their previous works.
02.11.2010 - 12:08
Mikyz

I'm really liking the songs, the atmosphere they create is amazing. I'm officially psyched.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
02.11.2010 - 12:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I like both songs.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
02.11.2010 - 12:40
Kenos
Account deleted
I like this new song a bit more than the previous one. I won't listen to it anymore though, I prefer to wait for the whole album now... One song for preview is ok, but more is just like spoiling the fun, imho!
02.11.2010 - 17:44
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Bigpaul on 02.11.2010 at 10:08

Hmmmm.....based on the 2 songs it sounds to me like the clean production has made the music loose a bit of the atmosphere present on their previous works.

Ironically the production on "Marrow of the Spirit" is less polished than on their previous album...
03.11.2010 - 05:57
TheWiseNoob

Written by Risto on 02.11.2010 at 17:44

Written by Bigpaul on 02.11.2010 at 10:08

Ironically the production on "Marrow of the Spirit" is less polished than on their previous album...

What the fuck does "less polished" even mean? I'm serious, I don't know what you mean. That's extremely far from descriptive. Please, explain to me what that means.
03.11.2010 - 09:34
skatmat

I aswell will wait 'til I buy it. (: I have high hopes on this one...
03.11.2010 - 13:30
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by TheWiseNoob on 03.11.2010 at 05:57

What the fuck does "less polished" even mean? I'm serious, I don't know what you mean. That's extremely far from descriptive. Please, explain to me what that means.

As in "less produced".
03.11.2010 - 13:47
TheWiseNoob

Written by Risto on 03.11.2010 at 13:30

As in "less produced".

Never correlate the amount of production with how "polished" an album is, whatever you mean by that. Production can ruin an album if there's too much involved, simply put. What seems to be the case is that you have little or no technical knowledge of what production even involves. I don't mean to be so harsh, but you're talking out your ass.
04.11.2010 - 00:20
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I just listened to both songs once through. First impression was nothing amazing, but decent Agalloch with 'The Mantle' type sound. I'm sure a few more listens will make the songs grow on me far more, as the same thing happened with the other albums.
17.11.2010 - 11:30
Cassian

It's been a while since their last album, Ashes Against The Grain, which is totally a masterpiece. I can't describe my excitement waiting for this.
18.11.2010 - 18:59
schwanderen

Written by TheWiseNoob on 03.11.2010 at 13:47

Written by Risto on 03.11.2010 at 13:30

As in "less produced".

Never correlate the amount of production with how "polished" an album is, whatever you mean by that. Production can ruin an album if there's too much involved, simply put. What seems to be the case is that you have little or no technical knowledge of what production even involves. I don't mean to be so harsh, but you're talking out your ass.

The wise noob: Thumbs up. To say a band like Agalloch do not concern themselves with putting out an album that they can't stand by - lyrically, instrumentally and production wise is to say you do not know them.

Hits total: 5999 | This month: 6