Metal Storm logo
Manowar - Re-Recording Battle Hymns

Official press release

Finally, technology has caught up with Manowar's custom-built touring and recording equipment. The band decided that their fans deserved to hear the songs from their debut album Battle Hymns with the massive sound and production that has become their signature over recent years and records.

Due for release at the end of November 2010, Battle Hymns will soon be available with the unbridled power of today's technology: Battle Hymns 2011.

With the decision to reinterpret the music came the need to revisit the famed narration of the legendary Orson Welles. There was only one obvious choice and that was Sir Christopher Lee. Recorded at the famed Abbey Road Studios in London, his own inspired interpretation of the late, great Orson Welles on "Dark Avenger" will be another jewel in the crown of the Kings Of Metal.

Manowar bassist and producer Joey DeMaio stated: "My personal admiration for Sir Christopher began many years ago while watching his films. It increased when I was honored to produce him as a singer and as a narrator and we became friends instantly. Immediately after hearing the sheer power and range of his voice I thought I should write a narration; I never imagined we would ever rerecord Battle Hymns - but here we are and it is massive."

Battle Hymns 2011 will feature two never released before live versions of "Death Tone" and "Fast Taker" recorded during the band's very first concerts in 1982. These are the rarest bonus materials ever released to date in Manowar's career.

"Our fans can be sure that we have squeezed every drop of power into Battle Hymns 2011 that today's technology allows", says vocalist Eric Adams.

Manowar is poised to prove that both the band and the immortal Battle Hymns record are indeed "Born To Live Forevermore". Battle Hymns 2011 - a new chapter in Heavy Metal history.

Battle Hymns 2011 [cover art] tracklist:

01. Death Tone
02. Metal Daze
03. Fast Taker
04. Shell Shock
05. Manowar
06. Dark Avenger
07. William's Tale
08. Battle Hymn

Bonus Tracks:
09. Death Tone - Live
10. Fast Taker - Live

Source: manowar.com
Band profile: Manowar
Posted: 01.11.2010 by BMR Monkey

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 23   Visited by: 174 users
01.11.2010 - 13:30
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Poor guys, they have no ideas, so they re-record.
01.11.2010 - 13:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
This should sound interesting, a colaboration with Lee? i liked how they re-worked The Crown and The Ring, but they'll have to rip my balls off before i would buy this release.
01.11.2010 - 13:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Lol they onluy play true metal ... so epic , that I cant wate ;d ROLF
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.11.2010 - 13:59
Pap
This is the most ridiculous idea i have ever heard or read.Re-recording the same album ???????????
01.11.2010 - 14:12
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Pap on 01.11.2010 at 13:59

This is the most ridiculous idea i have ever heard or read.Re-recording the same album ???????????

They're not the first ones to do that. But at least Exodus had an almost-new line-up while re-recording Bonded By Blood...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
01.11.2010 - 14:26
moe5512
Why don't people like re-recordings?
01.11.2010 - 15:02
Pap
Written by Darkside Momo on 01.11.2010 at 14:12

Written by Pap on 01.11.2010 at 13:59

They're not the first ones to do that. But at least Exodus had an almost-new line-up while re-recording Bonded By Blood...

I have to admit that i didn't know that. There are a lot of bands who have re-recorded songs with or without a new line-up (Iron maiden Charlotte the Harlot and Prowler 88, Motley Crue Shout At the Devil 97 etc) but a whole album.. and especially at this case we are talking about a classic album and their debut album.They can't regenerate the atmosphere of the era that was released. They could make a compilation of re-recordings of some of their songs as Helloween did lately. I don't want to underestimate Bonded by blood because it's a monument for thrash metal and an excellent record but Exodus as a band could be depicted as ''one-hit wonders'' if you can catch my point of view. So i can understand their decision of re-recording their excellent debut in order to capture the press or some older fans and of course for a clear financial benefit. Though when you are Manowar and you carry a history and you want to consider yourself as an active and important chapter of metal music you are obliged to think better and in a more mature way. However i just caught myself in a paradox. Manowar 's attitude has no trace of maturity something apparent the last years. Anyone can see it on their latest releases, their lyrics and their live performances. At least do not spoil your honored past.
01.11.2010 - 15:24
Jon
Written by Pap on 01.11.2010 at 15:02

They can't regenerate the atmosphere of the era that was released. They could make a compilation of re-recordings of some of their songs as Helloween did lately.

You're spot on there. It's the year of recording that makes an album what it is, especially back in those halcyon days. Rerecording hard to find demo material (a la Moonspell) or compiling rerecorded faves (Amorphis, Jag Panzer) onto a disc makes a bit more sense and at least holds some value for old fans, but rerecording a whole album that any Manowar fan should already own is redundant I'm afraid.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
01.11.2010 - 15:41
Pap
Written by Jon on 01.11.2010 at 15:24

Written by Pap on 01.11.2010 at 15:02

They can't regenerate the atmosphere of the era that was released. They could make a compilation of re-recordings of some of their songs as Helloween did lately.

You're spot on there. It's the year of recording that makes an album what it is, especially back in those halcyon days. Rerecording hard to find demo material (a la Moonspell) or compiling rerecorded faves (Amorphis, Jag Panzer) onto a disc makes a bit more sense and at least holds some value for old fans, but rerecording a whole album that any Manowar fan should already own is redundant I'm afraid.

Exactly! If they want to pay a tribute to their first album or celebrate its release after almost 3 decades or whatever.. why don't they follow the trend of a tour where they will play the whole album as Megadeth did with Rust in peace this year and WASP with The Crimson Idol last year.
01.11.2010 - 16:08
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Lol, nice. Can't wait to hear what they do with Dark Avenger. I love that song.
01.11.2010 - 17:57
BMR Monkey
There can be only 2 kind of opinion on this one, but i you're a diehard fan you need to have this, if not well dont even listen, the album it may just like to just a few and may disappoint to everyone else

cant wait for this shit

YEIH its my first contribution to this wonderfull site that have gave me soo much
01.11.2010 - 17:59
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Written by moe5512 on 01.11.2010 at 14:26

Why don't people like re-recordings?

Probably because it'll have a different sound than what we're used to.
I personally don't see what the big deal is. To me, it just sounds louder. And that's a win for me.
01.11.2010 - 22:57
BloodFireDeath
Yeah I am interested in this as well.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
02.11.2010 - 00:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Sound the charge into glory ride
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.11.2010 - 01:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Just sad. that the very least they could have pushed it back another year as a "30 year version special re-release".

the adoption of "all the unbridled power of technology" doesn't bode well. computers of steel? lmao.

yet another ca$hgrab. it's shameless how this band bilk their fans.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.11.2010 - 20:24
fade
Son of Sweden
staff
Written by Ellrohir on 02.11.2010 at 00:41

Sound the charge into glory ride

Well said!
----
The troubles of avoiding horseshit.
My Music database: http://www.racksandtags.com/northernsky/
02.11.2010 - 20:30
JohnDoe
Account deleted
"Manowar is poised to prove that both the band and the immortal Battle Hymns record are indeed "Born To Live Forevermore". Battle Hymns 2011 - a new chapter in Heavy Metal history."

LOL. These guys suffer of megalomania.
02.11.2010 - 20:31
Baz Anderson
staff
I'll be interested to hear it.
03.11.2010 - 02:32
Symmachus
Despite the involvement of Christopher Lee, a person whom I put in high regard, I'm naturally not enthused about re-recordings.
03.11.2010 - 13:41
RavenKing
Written by BitterCOld on 02.11.2010 at 01:30

yet another ca$hgrab. it's shameless how this band bilk their fans.

What else do you expect? It's Manowar.

P.S. Extremely arrogant announcement, as usual.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.11.2010 - 16:01
MeTalRea|istiK
Its gonna be suck!!
08.11.2010 - 18:40
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Could be interesting and I'll be checking it out, if not for the music then for Mr. Lee's involvement.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.11.2010 - 18:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
That's some damn unoriginal cover art.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.

Hits total: 5022 | This month: 6