‹‹ Back to the General metal forum
Users visited: 47  
Search this topic:  

torwar

02.11.2010 at 12:36
I cannot think of any "objective" criteria at all. It's a very personal thing when I rate an album 10. OK, it's gotta be an album with no weak seconds...or at least just a few. Then again it's not perfect, is it? Even those one and a half minute which is not good should only make it "excellent"?

I am one of those unfortunate, who cannot translate my musical "feelings" into words...into a review. I'm not a musician. I'm not really into the technical terms. And I do like a lot of different genres within metal as well as outside the world of metal. One day I may need to listen to old stuff AC-DC, next I need Opeth. Followed by Behemoth. Or Iron Maiden. And how to compare these bands? Guess it says more about myself that I like different "genres"/"styles".....

"Quality" is another difficult criteria. I'm not a big fan of eg Blind Guardian, but I can at least acknowledge that they're great musicians, who compose quite complex and clever metal. I prefer to listen eg Drudkh, but I am in position to argue why....other than Drudkh puts me on many "emotional journeys"...and Blind Guardian doesn't.....

So: What's your reason for rating an album as perfect?
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

02.11.2010 at 12:52
When i really, really enjoy all or almost all songs of the album and i love to return to this album => rating 10
----
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings
Become dust in the wake of the hymn
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall
No more than a breath on the wind

Mikyz

02.11.2010 at 14:54
It's mainly based on my personal feelings over the technical execution of the music, if the album successfully passes on whatever feelings it wants to convey and manages to overwhelm me than it deserves the 10, what I'm rating is not the music but rather the effect of the music on me. If it makes want to bang my head like there's no tomorrow or if it makes me want to lay in the bed all day and listen to the music then yes I'll give them all my support.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Luneth

02.11.2010 at 15:02
A 'perfect' album for me has to be flawless or have one weak song...pretty simple in theory but an album that's incredible, you can tell, it's generally an album that is strong throughout that may has one song that may be a bit crap in comparison to the others, that's the anomolous song. Anything above one can't really be 'perfect' to me; then again, if I was being strict, very few of my albums would be perfect albums.

Also, when you have bands that you've been listening to for a while from whom you've expected a reasonably high quality of music, you tend to give them an average of high scores, even if the album to a first time listener is 'meh'. The truly 'perfect' albums are those that are of bands you may have heard the first time, and it's like 'wow'...
----
Evil? I am not Malevolent, I simply am!
Apocalypse, X-Men
Ag Fox
Angel No More

02.11.2010 at 18:58
I rate it 10 when it's essentially a 9, but the album also lead me to explore new subgenres or look at the same subgenre in a new light. So it's very very hard to place a 10
----
loves 小巫
Angelic Storm
Melodious

02.11.2010 at 20:28
For me, whether or not I give an album a 10 is very simple. If I like every song, and wouldn't class any tracks as filler, then I give it a 10. If there's even one filler on the album, I cant give it a 10. Simple really...
MetalSpider

05.11.2010 at 05:33
A perfect album to me is one where every song is memorable, and even if there is a weak song on the album, it's still a good one. It doesn't necessarily have to be the most technical album musically or even have the greatest production (although personally I do like a good production)...but if it has character, if its unique and fresh then its perfect. If it presents a great atmosphere no matter what it may be, then I would consider it perfect. I would consider it perfect if I can listen to it no matter what state of mind or mood I'm in. If I can listen to it anytime and it speaks to me and if I still love it the same or even more from when I first heard it, then it's perfect. I'd consider an album perfect if it makes me immediately go to Amazon and order without even thinking about whether I should buy it or not (yes Im guilty of downloading but I do try and buy CD's as often as I can). An album is perfect if all the musicians on the album just play well and flow together as a band, but still you can identify each member and still appreciate their individual roles on the album (if that makes sense). I could go on but I think you all get the idea.

There aren't many albums like that for me....but there are a few out there that I personally would consider perfect. Few examples for me: Moonsorrow - All their albums to me, Katatonia - Night is the New Day, Symphony X - Paradise Lost, The Odyssey, Divine Wings of Tragedy, Kamelot - The Black Halo. There's more for sure.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
Xnoybis
Duke Nukem

05.11.2010 at 07:11
There is no such thing as a perfect album. none. even my absolute favorite records are not perfect.

instead, as far as MS ratings go, at least, my "10's" were limited to my answer of the proverbial "desert island, can only bring 10 albums" question... those 10 that were amazing enough in their ability to entertain and enthrall me for dozens to hundreds of spins. i did go all Spinal Tap and boost said list of "10's" to 11 this year with the new Enslaved.

but even then, as much as love those albums, they are not perfect.

no album is perfect.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher

05.11.2010 at 11:10
It is almost impossible to create a perfect album by the exact meaning of the word. this is when, as mentioned, the album shouldn't have even 1 weak moment, 1 weak second on it. also it is absolutely depended on the taste and the criteria of the listener.

i can mention many albums that have only great songs (maybe except 1 sometimes) but i find it very difficult to find albums that have for example 5-6 songs which i'd rate with 10. most of them have 3-4 astonishing songs usually, 3-4 very very good but just a bit weaker and 0,1 or 2 decent songs.

as for me i think that the most complete and perfect albums i've ever heard (till now of course) are Pierced From Within - Suffocation, Destroy The Opposition - Dying Fetus and With Oden On Our Side - Amon Amarth.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
Întunecatul

03.12.2010 at 21:59
For me it's about the instrumental,then vocal,then lyrics, grade every song from 1 to 10 and then add the numbers and divide by the number of songs. I have yet to listen to a perfect album,a perfect 10.I think the best rating I had was 9,70. So even if it's not a perfect 10,it's more close to 10 than to 9. This is my general system,but on some minor occasions I disregard a little the rating and vote with 1 lower[always voted lower,never higher than I saw the album].
----
IronAngel

04.12.2010 at 12:19
Perfection is an empty word without meaning. Nothing is inherently perfect. Perfection exists only in relation to a standard. An album that meets the standards you set is "perfect." Typically, we don't clearly define the standards we have for music, so we don't really know what perfect is. If there was a quantifiable standard, mass-producing perfect albums should be easy once those standards are discovered. If, however, perfect is defined by whatever you feel like at the moment, it becomes a bit redundant. Why not just say that an album is the one you like best rather than call it perfect?

My favorite albums are flawed. Tori Amos's Boys For Pele has way too many songs, lacks cohesion, contains some pretty awkward lyrics etc. If I tried to apply some neutral standards of perfection, I'd say Under The Pink is the perfect album and Boys is an unpolished draft. But despite that, the latter is still the greatest album in history. I guess the same could be said about Kamelot's Epica (though it's not quite up there with Tori Amos): arguably it has more filler than The Black Halo or Karma, and the interludes don't really do anything for me because I don't care about the story. But somehow I feel it's still the peak of their career and a landmark in power metal. Or take the rollercoaster album by Red House Painters: waaaay too long, rather samey, but I'd argue it's still the "perfect" album.

I go with my gut. "10 albums on a desert island" is a good idea too, though for me there are more than 10 such albums. Especially since my favorites change frequently.
Întunecatul

04.12.2010 at 19:55
In the end it's about how much you enjoyed the album, ratings are something extra.Albums that struck me the most and didn't disappoint any second were Agalloch's The Mantle and Insomnium's Since the Day It All Came Down.
----
Vikcen
Metálico

07.12.2010 at 04:09
Perfection? I would not use this word, if i say it in a few words, mainly this goes determined by the emotions that transmits the album into me.

Advertise on Metal Storm

Login or register to post here.