04. The Magickan And The Drones
05. Mystics Of The Pillar
06. When Halos Of Candles Collide
07. Defeating The Giants
08. Illumination - The Face Of Shamash
09. Negative Theology
10. A Greater Chain Of Being
11. The Epigenesis

The Epigenesis marks the first we've heard from the Sultans of Sumerian Sonic Slaughter since Emissaries was released four years ago. The band continues pretty much where they left off, playing what is basically at it's core midpaced melodic black metal.

Melodic black metal. Ho-hum. Don't we see enough of this?

Well, not quite like this.

The band, originally from Israel (they have since migrated to the Netherlands for personal and professional reasons) draw their primary influence from the ancient history of the region, going back to Sumerian and Mesopotamian times for imagery and lyrical themes. They also incorporate loads of scales and instruments that are foreign to many of our western ears. Or even our metal ears. (Quick. Name five albums that also feature a baglama saz, bendir, tar, and saz. )

The result is exceptional.

Thanks to the sneer of vocalist Ashmadi, and his teaming with ninja-guitarist Moloch for some great riffs with a fantastic tone provide what would be upper-rent melodic black metal if they just played it straight. These guys are undoubtedly quality musicians.

Now when you add to that foundation all of the exotic scales and instruments most of us have likely never heard of (right, sure, you have a santur lying around your house just gathering dust) it creates a wondrous atmosphere. The midpaced pieces, like "Sacred Geometry" and "Mystics Of The Pillar" have an almost ceremonial feel to them. The faster pieces on the album, such as "Grand Gathas Of Baal Sin" feel like the heated, whipping winds of a sirocco when they do surface, and punish the listener.

The album also features a couple wondrous instrumentals that further the mood of the album, while also providing a short respite from the assault.

The Epigenesis concludes with the vast and sprawling title track, an ambitious piece which goes of for 12 minutes, capturing the various moods and modes of the album into one hell of a closer.

I suppose in trying to describe the band and album, people might jump to "Melechesh is to melodic BM what Nile is to DM"... but that is only a partially accurate way of looking at it. With Nile, it's an Egyptian-enthusiast's Egyptian themed metal band. This has a more organic, natural feel. It's not a "Sumerian themed" metal album so much as a Sumerian metal album. If that makes sense.

While the songs are enjoyable, largely for their "uniqueness" when projected against most of the MDM landscape, the album is perhaps a bit long - it's about a full hour in before the epic closer starts... but if the band continues to put out albums only during World Cup years, I'd rather get too much than not enough.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 05.11.2010 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 338 users
05.11.2010 - 10:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Will find time to try this one again. Might have glossed over it a bit quickly.
05.11.2010 - 11:10
Rating: 9
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
At first glance this one is quite discouraging - 70 minutes of music, pleanty of songs. But if you know Melechesh and enjoy their other releases, you should definitely check this one out.
05.11.2010 - 19:02
Mikyz
It's not bad, but it's no Emissaries and it's too long for my taste. I'll give it another try though.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
05.11.2010 - 20:11
Rating: 8
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Good review, but it should be mentioned that the band dropped their trademark "oriental drumming", which made me pay them attention in the first place. Now I'm not confused if I should mosh or dance: I just mosh.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
05.11.2010 - 21:04
Yojimbo
I've been listening to this album for a couple of weeks now. At first I felt it was too slow, but the more I listen to it the better I like it. I don't think it's as good as Djinn or Emasseries but this band is so unique that they simply make great albums. Also, "The Magickan and The Drones" is one of the best songs they've ever released.
05.11.2010 - 21:20
Kenos
Account deleted
Yeah it's great and intriguing after all, but for the moment I wouldn't put it among the best of 2010 imho.
05.11.2010 - 22:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
The world cup comment is brilliant! It would be even funnier if Sphynx had been released in 2002.

I listened to Epigenesis only once (before the review was posted), and now I am encouraged to listen to it again, but when I think about the length, I want to play something different. Still Melechesh is something you have to check out.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.11.2010 - 13:21
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Have only heard the songs on their MySpace, but they were really good, so I'll have to check the rest of the album too
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
08.11.2010 - 00:02
dancingdecember
I was able to hear about the ongoing production through a friend since it was produced in Istanbul at Babajim Studios. Good that the production is being recieved nicely globally.
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
14.11.2010 - 01:04
elseif
Sacred Geometry owns
14.11.2010 - 05:40
.Nemesis.
Fuck yeah
----
You try to awaken me, the flesh dripping with blood
My body is there, but my soul a perilous void
Aethereal existence coming off in ambient waves
I am nothing. I AM N1H1L.
30.12.2010 - 14:32
Rating: 10
B.O.K.
I think they deserve 10 point for this album
06.04.2011 - 12:45
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by elseif on 14.11.2010 at 01:04

Sacred Geometry owns

Ya', what kind of a song name is that? The song's cool, though. I'm still trying to get this band. Never liked it... seemed too catchy. :?
06.04.2011 - 18:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Ragana on 06.04.2011 at 12:45

Written by elseif on 14.11.2010 at 01:04

Sacred Geometry owns

Ya', what kind of a song name is that? The song's cool, though. I'm still trying to get this band. Never liked it... seemed too catchy. :?

For someone who bleeds math like me... I love that title
Also... it's the combination of catchiness but still being very "in your face" that I love in this band which put them in the first place for me among all the other stuff that is supposed to sound from the middle east.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
06.04.2011 - 19:12
Ragana
Rawrcat
Hey, I like maths too, but it just seemed... funny. I like funny. :?

Yeah, well, I go for Orphaned Land and - just as you - think it's the best among bands that sound oriental, but I'm not gonna compare both bands just... because. They're totally different although both have that unique Middle Eastern sound (well, that I obviously like in both bands), there's just something about Melechesh that I haven't figured out yet.
06.04.2011 - 19:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Ragana on 06.04.2011 at 19:12

Yeah, well, I go for Orphaned Land and - just as you - think it's the best among bands that sound oriental, but I'm not gonna compare both bands just... because. They're totally different although both have that unique Middle Eastern sound (well, that I obviously like in both bands), there's just something about Melechesh that I haven't figured out yet.

My answer to your post will be exactly the same as yours but the band names the other way around
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.04.2011 - 19:42
Ragana
Rawrcat
I know.

Eh, tell me which is the best album by Melechesh? Maybe I just listen to the worse albums and try to get something out of htem...
06.04.2011 - 19:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Ragana on 06.04.2011 at 19:42

I know.

Eh, tell me which is the best album by Melechesh? Maybe I just listen to the worse albums and try to get something out of htem...

I actually know very little about this one but the one I like the most must be Emissaries. I just think the first 2 songs are perfect and also the hipnotic folk instrumental (it's in the middle I think)... But from what I heard of this one I could recommend it to along with Sphynx. IMO they went from "good" to "pretty damn good" with Sphynx. So yeah... The 3 latest album with special mention to Emissaries (specially thr first 2 song and the intrumental but all that album is gloriously sunny)
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.04.2011 - 20:05
Ragana
Rawrcat
Gloriously sunny, huh? Allrighty. XD I've heard 'Emissaries' a couple of times and I do remember some very catchy melody (I'm not so sure about 'Sphynx'), but I suppose I gotta listen those albums in a different order. And more than now.
29.07.2011 - 19:09
tuerda
OK, I finally got around to listening to this album and I was very surprised. For starters, to date they have not really produced an album which leans this heavily on folk elements (in previous ones I was hardly able to hear them at all) and it is a dramatic shift from their previous "thrashy" records. In fact this one even feels like it leans slightly in the direction of prog, which is very much NOT the case for anything they ever did before. I actually really enjoyed this album. I think it is their best one yet.

Hits total: 8654 | This month: 6