Metal Storm logo
Marillion

Original post

Posted by , 31.08.2006 - 03:22
Marillion is truly one of the most creative progressive rock bands.They were a little bit softer in their approach to progressive rock and gave it a new sound.In the Fish era (1979-1988) their sound was very similar to Peter Gabriel fronted Genesis.They achieved good success in Britain with albums such as "Misplaced Childhood" and "Clutching at Straws"."Script for a Jester's Tear" is an amazing album as well,as is "Fugazi".I personally like the Fish era better,because there sound changed somewhat when Steve Hogarth came in (much softer,more poppish) but is nonetheless still enjoyable to listen to.Let me know your thoughts on this band be it your favorite songs,albums,if you like them/dont like them,which era you prefer.Whatever it is,it's all accepted here.
20.08.2012 - 21:21
Yellax

They are coming to Toronto soon. I cannot wait.
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.
28.10.2012 - 01:26
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Marillion is an excellent band, no doubt about that. But there's two Marillions the Fish-era and the post Fish-era. Post Fish-era Marillion is more artistic and most albums wind up dragging themselves. Personally I prefer the Fish-era and I find a bit to difficult to consider Post Fish-era their best. Most albums contain songs that last way too long, and to me, most of the times they exagerate with the length-time of the albums. There is a intent of making a story with the album, but I think that most of time they bore the listener with albums that last over one hour. No doubt that the Fish era is much more straightforward, much more rock and still are conceptual, progressive and technical. The best albums are from Fish era, and the actual era is more orchestral and artistic but in my opinion isn't able to reach the quality of the old times.

Still a great band that appreciate but need to be in the right mood to listen the most recent albums.
----
greets,
kual21
28.10.2012 - 21:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by AndMetalForAll on 28.10.2012 at 01:26

Marillion is an excellent band, no doubt about that. But there's two Marillions the Fish-era and the post Fish-era. Post Fish-era Marillion is more artistic and most albums wind up dragging themselves. Personally I prefer the Fish-era and I find a bit to difficult to consider Post Fish-era their best. Most albums contain songs that last way too long, and to me, most of the times they exagerate with the length-time of the albums. There is a intent of making a story with the album, but I think that most of time they bore the listener with albums that last over one hour. No doubt that the Fish era is much more straightforward, much more rock and still are conceptual, progressive and technical. The best albums are from Fish era, and the actual era is more orchestral and artistic but in my opinion isn't able to reach the quality of the old times.

Still a great band that appreciate but need to be in the right mood to listen the most recent albums.

I kinda agree with what you said in general. But there are some pearls out there like "Seasons End" and "Afraid Of Sunlight" being highlights of their career for me. And with prog, long is just like having guitars, a natural thing

Still didn't have time to check their new one though.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.10.2012 - 00:13
AndMetalForAll
kual21
Written by BloodTears on 28.10.2012 at 21:41

Written by AndMetalForAll on 28.10.2012 at 01:26

I kinda agree with what you said in general. But there are some pearls out there like "Seasons End" and "Afraid Of Sunlight" being highlights of their career for me. And with prog, long is just like having guitars, a natural thing

Still didn't have time to check their new one though.

The new one is a good album, no doubt. But like I said in my previous post, they tend to exagerate in the length of the songs without any purpose. They exagerate in the artistic part, for example "Gaza", "Pour My Love" or even "The Sky Above The Rain" are way to long, although being clearly great tracks.
----
greets,
kual21
21.08.2015 - 11:58
slim pickings
Account deleted
Marillion have posted some pics on FB of them working on new songs, that's great, no idea when the new album will come out though but great news seeing them working in the studio!
20.01.2016 - 14:48
dark2711

Love the four Fish era albums of Marillion, but haven't managed to get into the Hogarth era at all. Got the Best of Both Worlds album and the only track that has done anything for me on the Hogarth CD is Hooks in You. Really like the way the band has gone about its business with the fan conventions, pre-order and special editions of albums et, but unfortunately as much as I would like to like the current line-up, the music doesn't do anything for me.

As for the Fish stuff, is a close call, but my favourite album is, Clutching at Straws.
----
Vantage Point
www.facebook.com/vantagepointrocks
www.youtube.com/user/vantagepointrocks