28. Versus The World
29. Across The Rainbow Bridge
30. Down The Slopes Of Death
31. Thousand Years Of Oppression
32. Bloodshed
33. And Soon The World Will Cease To Be

The best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal album of 2011

Additional info
All songs written and arranged by Amon Amarth.
Produced, mixed, mastered and spiritually guided by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, Sweden.
Drums recorded at Park Studio.
Drum tech: Urban Näsvall.

Orchestral arrangements by Martin Jacobbson, performed by The Dark Passenger Orchestra.

Cover and "Fenriz" artwork by Tom Thiel.
Design, additional artwork and layout by Thomas Ewerhard.
Photos by Steve Brown.
Live pics Bochum by Florian Krapp / Metal Hammer.

Guest review by
Deadmeat
Rating:
The kings of the Swedish melodeath scene are back! Consistent as always, they have become one of the record companies' favorite bands: nice songs, huge popularity, unique style and additionally, they publish a new album every 2 to 3 years. Only a few bands assemble all these traits and Amon Amarth is one of them. On the other hand, some experimentation would be welcomed?

Read more ››
published 14.08.2011 | Comments (22)

Found in 79 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 149   Visited by: 2433 users
21.04.2011 - 08:33
Balthazine

I liked it, wasn't the best I've heard but it had some badass tracks on it.
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
22.04.2011 - 01:06
sina_filth

I liked it , its so good
25.04.2011 - 07:04
Rating: 7
Víctor

Good album but not great. I expected more of them
06.05.2011 - 15:29
Rating: 6
munson

I really enjoy the SOAD cover, but I thought this album was pretty boring, all things considered. Kind of a let down for me.
06.05.2011 - 19:22
Rating: 8
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
When it comes to Amon Amarth there is no use expecting some experiments or brand-new ideas implemented into music. They have a very distinctive style which works well for them. That's not so bad actually but... Only as long as they manage to put out some powerful songs. And that's exactly the problem I have with this album. Not a single songs remains in my brain after going through this album. Maybe this one is grower and I'll change my opinion after a couple more spins but for now this one seems to be just another good album. Nothing special.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
08.05.2011 - 16:20
s_t_s

The opening and ending tracks are pure killers ! The rest is very good too and I like the addition of many solos (well seems to me a lot more solos than in the other albums). ok it's the usual Amon Amarth style but always a bit stronger every time, so keep it up !
17.05.2011 - 23:47
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
I don't understand all the hate for this album... In my opinion its right up there with WOOOS and Twilight. Maybe not quite as good as WOOOS but definitely every bit as good as Twilight.
18.05.2011 - 20:43
bitethepain

The album is great. Not their best but the more I listen to it, the more the songs begin to stick.

Just wanted to comment on the DVD that is included in the package. I have to applaud Amon Amarth for being so good to their fans. Every single release by them usually includes an extra disk chock full of goodies. They went out of their way for this new release. Over three hours of concert footage with them performing four of their records in their entirety. And great quality too. The DVD also comes in every regular edition. They don't have all these different versions ( a bare bones version, a special edition, a 5.1 DVD version) which I think is annoying . They are very good to their fans.

I give this album an extra point just for the included DVD as it is in every edition. Its part of the whole package and it rocks! I hope other artist take this as an example.

20.05.2011 - 17:13
Reza
Account deleted
This album is good but not great at all (IMO).
23.05.2011 - 18:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by bitethepain on 18.05.2011 at 20:43

I give this album an extra point just for the included DVD as it is in every edition. Its part of the whole package and it rocks! I hope other artist take this as an example.

I always make sure to pick up copies of Amon Amarth albums because they always have the added DVD (and - at least at the local record store - the price doesn't seem to be effected by that). It's always nice when bands provide their fans with a little extra.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.05.2011 - 15:02
Rating: 9
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Finished with it's listenings. great album. not AS great as Amon amarth uses to release but it has awesome moments on it. decent for AA, very good generally.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
30.05.2011 - 20:17
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Yeah! Very good one!
02.06.2011 - 23:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Hum, that limited edition DVD looks tasty. And my favourite song for the finale: "And Soon The World Will Cease To Be".

I'll try to get it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.06.2011 - 03:00
Carib73

Great Album IMO....
11.06.2011 - 09:25
Karl sucks dik

Guess we've come full circle. I remember when everyone and their mother was claiming that Twilight was god awful. Now all of a sudden it's a classic if you listen to the opinions in this thread.

Simple question, have any of you listened to this album even remotely as much as you have Twilight? Obviously not, and purely rhetorical as there is no possible way you could say that it isn't better than twilight. Woos = masterpiece. Twilight = Forgettable. Surtur = inbetween them both but easily better than Twilight.

BTW Karl, go suck a dick.
13.06.2011 - 23:05
Vikcen
Metálico
Well, after various listenings i can say that it is really a good work from Amon amarth, even i would say that it is more solid than "Twilight Of The Thunder God".

Highlights:

01. War Of The Gods ( )
03. Destroyer Of The Universe
05. Live Without Regrets ( )
07. For Victory Or Death
09. A Beast Am I

Written by Karl sucks dik on 11.06.2011 at 09:25

Guess we've come full circle. I remember when everyone and their mother was claiming that Twilight was god awful. Now all of a sudden it's a classic if you listen to the opinions in this thread.

Simple question, have any of you listened to this album even remotely as much as you have Twilight? Obviously not, and purely rhetorical as there is no possible way you could say that it isn't better than twilight. Woos = masterpiece. Twilight = Forgettable. Surtur = inbetween them both but easily better than Twilight.

BTW Karl, go suck a dick.

I 'm one of these that say "Fate Of Norns" is their best work =) .
14.06.2011 - 22:28
Megi

I kinda liked TOTTG...kinda, but it felt somewhat try, and lacked a good punch. BUT HAVE NO FEAR. This album has so much more energy than the last. As much as I meh'd on about TOTTG, this just tidied that all up.
15.06.2011 - 04:05
Vikcen
Metálico
Definitely they did a very good work in terms of production. The guitars sounds better, are more upfront, and also the vocals sounds fantastic.
19.06.2011 - 00:22
Luneth
Account deleted
I've been getting into AA a lot recently, and listenign to this just makes me a bigger fan...I think this album is quite brilliant.
20.07.2011 - 22:45
JD
Account deleted
I just listened to "Aerials" not bad, not bad at all.
18.08.2011 - 02:13
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Destroyer of the Universe is the only song I really like from this album. I'm not the biggest Amon Amarth fan to begin with, but I find all the other songs on the album pretty benign and unimpressive. Also, as JD said, Aerials isn't that bad either, it's weird and the polar opposite of System of a Down's original, but it's alright.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
10.11.2011 - 21:06
Rating: 9
Slyfang

It's a grower. at first listen the production and the fact that it's more of the same were VERY offputting. then i started to notice the melodies and the musicality. more of the same, perhaps, but still alot better than most bands can do
06.02.2012 - 21:17
Rating: 5
mz

Gets worse with every listen
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
11.02.2012 - 22:52
JD
Account deleted
Written by mz on 06.02.2012 at 21:17

+1
11.02.2012 - 23:37
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 11.02.2012 at 22:52

Written by mz on 06.02.2012 at 21:17

+1

+2 really disappointing since I loved the previous two, the sound has not changed at all but I guess I grew out of them
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
12.02.2012 - 00:28
JD
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 11.02.2012 at 23:37

+2 really disappointing since I loved the previous two, the sound has not changed at all but I guess I grew out of them

But dat SOAD cover is really worth it.
12.02.2012 - 13:43
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 12.02.2012 at 00:28

Written by InnerSelf on 11.02.2012 at 23:37

But dat SOAD cover is really worth it.

It's funny
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
05.03.2012 - 00:22
musicalkaratekid

In my opinon 'Surtur Rising' is not quite as accessible as its predecessor, yet shows more melody, in which songs such as the ballad-like 'Doom over dead man' and the melodious outro to 'A beast am I' prove to be instant highlights because of the way they are written. The SOAD cover for me isn't really necessary for an album such as this, but i suppose it adds to the epic atmosphere provided by the rest of the album.
15.04.2012 - 22:46
Pelcu

Good, but not delightful, like Twilight was. Sometimes riffs are almost the same, same melody... Like thay had no more ideas for new songs. I would say I'm dissapointed - there is even no one single outstanding song. Everything is only a good copy of previous songs. But as i like this kind of music I give 7 for Surtur.
----
Don't look for solution - look for EXIT!
26.08.2012 - 00:02
massoudd3j

Great album.

Hits total: 45254 | This month: 77