Band: Horse Latitudes
Album: Gathering
Release date: October 2010

01. Hornblas
02. Seas Of Saturn
03. Gathering
04. Son Of The Moon
05. Decayment

Beware! If you enter the horse latitudes, you might lose your mind. Or be trampled by a weird, surreal beast (from Finland, mind you).

Now, imagine a throbbing bass sound.
Got it? Add another bass, then, as heavy as the first.
Downtune them for greater effect. Now, this is heavy enough.
Add drums. All in slow tempo, even very slow at times.
This sounds uncannily like doom? Yeah, a weird one, that is.
You'll believe me about the 'weird' part when you'll hear the vocals. They're lethargic, psyched, unhinged, tripped-out declamations on par with the rhythm; sometimes they grow harsher when the tempo speeds up, and on one song at least ("Son Of The Moon") they have a clear Tom G. Warrior influence. Apart from this, they're something really unique, like the weed / LSD / whatever the band most certainly used to record this album. Think The Gates Of Slumber, only slower, heavier, more psyched-out. Or Saturnalia Temple. Or any of the like, as long as it's really heavy, occult stuff, you know. And with a gritty, lo-fi sound to match.

Wait a minute. I said sssllloooowwww, and yes it is, but if you survive being trampled by the first three songs, you'll notice that the last two are a bit more upbeat. There are some nasty accelerations out there (oh, don't worry, we're still far from grindcore), coupled with aggressive vocals, that are quite startling and waking you up. That said, the band doesn't feel the need to do so very often.

Somehow like a slowed-down, bass only Electric Wizard, but weirder, Horse Latitudes might be less frightening, but not less disturbing. They are mesmerizing for sure, but drowsiness and boredom are not always far behind... And while I wasn't really moved by this Gathering, I can easily imagine why people would like it. This is certainly for a doom elite, those that love all these heavy, lo-fi, slow-motion mammoths out there?

Thanks to Lucas for the bit of help!

Written on 18.11.2010 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 150 users
18.11.2010 - 16:51
GT
Coffee!!
That sounds like some weird arse shit. Made me interested
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
18.11.2010 - 17:35
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by GT on 18.11.2010 at 16:51

Dunno if it'll be up your alley, however...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
18.11.2010 - 17:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This sounds like it'll be awesome. That album art also intrigues me. And the band name. Everything about this outfit sounds intriguing.
19.11.2010 - 03:33
Asunder

Written by Guest on 18.11.2010 at 17:36

This sounds like it'll be awesome. That album art also intrigues me. And the band name. Everything about this outfit sounds intriguing.

x2 will have to check it out
19.11.2010 - 12:03
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Darkside Momo on 18.11.2010 at 17:35

Written by GT on 18.11.2010 at 16:51

Dunno if it'll be up your alley, however...

Probably not, but if I don't try I'll never know
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
22.11.2010 - 08:47
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Gotta check it out

Hits total: 5805 | This month: 4