Metal Storm logo
Evergrey - New Album Details Revealed

Official press release

Occasionally a musician has to take a step back into the past to develop artistically. Tom Englund, guitarist and vocalist with Swedish rock group Evergrey, took this risk and reorganised his artistic environment. "The most recent Evergrey line-up had reached a point where we no longer had fun as a group," he confesses, adding: "So we went our separate ways to save our friendship. There were no angry words, and we're still friends privately."

Naturally, the decision to break up wasn't easy for these long-standing friends, especially for Englund and his remaining keyboardist, Rikard Zander, for whom a continuation of Evergrey was never called into question. Yet they both had to face a new challenge: "In the beginning, we weren't sure whether we'd be able to write a new album without the wealth of experience that the previous line-up brought in. But after Rikard and I had composed a full three numbers during the first week, we felt that was a real coup."

Listeners will feel this positive energy throughout Glorious Collision, the band's eighth studio album, which is due for release on 28 February 2011 (Germany: 25 February 2011; USA/Canada: 22 February 2011) on Steamhammer/SPV. A dynamic goody bag featuring the most diverse material ever released on an Evergrey album. "This may sound like a contradiction in view of our personnel situation, but Rikard and I have allowed more influences on Glorious Collision than ever before. Some elements on Glorious Collision are classic rock, based on a metal format, sometimes the tracks are quiet and haunting, sometimes wild, demanding and gripping."

This diversity is also expressed in the instrumentation of this extremely dynamic studio production which presents the new band members Marcus Jidell (guitar), Hannes Van Dahl (drums) and Johan Niemann (bass). "It's great to hear what a breath of fresh air Marcus, Johan and Hannes have brought into the band," Englund enthuses. "Although the entire material, except for two songs to which Marcus wrote and contributed on the compositional side, had already been decided when we started recording, they all left their own, very personal mark on this album." The great experience of Jidell and Niemann, who have worked with acts such as Royal Hunt and Therion, among others, and have now contributed lots of positive energy together with the 20-year-old drummer, Van Dahl, can be felt throughout the album.

Glorious Collision [cover art] tracklist:

01. Leave It Behind Us
02. You
03. Wrong
04. Frozen
05. Restoring The Loss
06. To Fit The Mold
07. Out Of Reach
08. The Phantom Letters
09. The Disease ...
10. It Comes From Within
11. Free
12. I'm Drowning Alone
13. ... And The Distance
14. ... And The Distance [Carina Bonus Track]

Source: evergrey.net
Band profile: Evergrey
Posted: 20.11.2010 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 19   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 158 users
20.11.2010 - 16:49
Eddie Misery

Fucking stoked!
20.11.2010 - 17:00
THIS_IS_MY_ID

Can't Wait! Finally...
20.11.2010 - 19:35
RafaRata

Cover sucks ... kinda
but can't wait to hear ir!!
20.11.2010 - 19:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Hum, the cover looks kinda cartoonish. I'm not very fond of it to be honest. But the music is what matters the most, so I'm excited about that, to see how the band coped with so many changes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.11.2010 - 20:13
Pimpelmee
Amazing Mapman
Cover art is disappointing. Hope the music is better.
20.11.2010 - 20:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Also the song list is longer than usual, shorter songs maybe?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.11.2010 - 01:30
paulo figueiredo
Account deleted
Man that cover is one of the worst i've ever seen...
21.11.2010 - 05:38
Kevorkian

The last album I've heard from them was Monday Morning Apocalypse. I have been hesitant about picking up Torn, but this news is making me consider following them again.
21.11.2010 - 05:46
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I really like the cover, it is much better than the new computer graphics trend, and it goes well with the band. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this.
----
21.11.2010 - 07:02
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Cover seems fine to me. The song names do scare me though. I really hate one name song titles unless they are a unique word. Song titles like 'You' are really stupid to me, i'll never remember what that song is because of how bland the song title is. Their last album suffered from the same problem. Really wish they would stop doing that...
21.11.2010 - 07:10
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Kevorkian on 21.11.2010 at 05:38

The last album I've heard from them was Monday Morning Apocalypse. I have been hesitant about picking up Torn, but this news is making me consider following them again.

I'd suggest Torn, it's very nice. Definitely a step above MMA in terms of songwriting, energy, and performance. Torn is almost up there with the band's earlier classics.

Who knows about this new sound though. I'm excited!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.11.2010 - 07:57
Jon

Written by Susan on 21.11.2010 at 07:10

I'd suggest Torn, it's very nice. Definitely a step above MMA in terms of songwriting, energy, and performance. Torn is almost up there with the band's earlier classics.

Agree Torn was the first album I heard from them (then MMA was underwhelming). Torn has plenty of good tracks/ riffs etc and a great, soulful vocal performance. They do seem like the kind of band that could easily slip into a rut though, and that cover art is crap.
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.
21.11.2010 - 11:14
Kevorkian

Written by Susan on 21.11.2010 at 07:10

Cool, thanks for the advice. I did enjoy Monday Morning Apocalypse, despite it's relative simplicity. I think another reason I haven't gotten Torn is that there are so many other albums higher up on my to-get list. Sounds like I'll have to move it up a few slots!
21.11.2010 - 11:32
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Hmm. The cover is weird. I honestly don't like the art that much. But let's see how the (new) band's work is coming out. Maybe a change in the band was a good thing after all. Don't know, only time will tell. I'm curious.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
21.11.2010 - 11:38
Permafrost

The artist who's responsible for this cover surely has Stiff Little Fingers' - Go For It in his collection.
It's a real rip-off. Nevertheless i like it.
21.11.2010 - 15:19
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Permafrost on 21.11.2010 at 11:38

The artist who's responsible for this cover surely has Stiff Little Fingers' - Go For It in his collection.
It's a real rip-off. Nevertheless i like it.

Wow, haha you're so right! It's eerily similar...
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
21.11.2010 - 17:24
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Haha... album art sucks badly indeed
----
loves 小巫
21.11.2010 - 21:59
DAMON-LEE

Sound awsome!!! Can't wait. I have only one album, "Torn" and it's f-ing great. Plan to get some more albums soon, any suggestions?
21.11.2010 - 23:07
Susan
Smeghead
Recreation Day is probably their best Though I also like In Search of Truth and also Solitude Dominance Tragedy is amazing.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"

Hits total: 3558 | This month: 4