George Kosmas - vocals, guitars
Steven Merry - keyboards, piano
Shaun Sykes - guitars
Jimmy Vanden Broeck - drums
John Richardson - bass

Session musicians
Megan Sykes - flute

Additional info
In memory of Dimitris Haitidis (28/12/87 - 29/6/11).

Recorded between the months of December 2011 & February 2012.
Recorded and engineered by Warren Hammond at Pennydrop Audio, Melbourne.
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, Sweden in March 2012.
Produced by Be'lakor.

Image on album cover originally painted by Gabriel Ferrier.

All album art selected by Be'lakor and prepared by Costin Chioreanu at Twilight 13 Media. All other album design done by Costin Chioreanu with the assistance of Be'lakor.

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
In what can only be described as a natural progression of one of the most highly regarded melodic death metal albums of the decade in Stone's Reach, Be'lakor have taken to the studio once more with the hopes of building on their already unrelenting momentum.

Read more ››
published 23.05.2012 | Comments (90)

Found in 121 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 173   Visited by: 2566 users
29.05.2012 - 22:23
MechanisT
Account deleted
Is it me, or is this one even better than its predecessor?
29.05.2012 - 22:36
Rating: 10
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 29.05.2012 at 22:23

It is better, and in this band's case it means a borderline perfect metal album. There's a jaw-dropping amount of quality songwriting and melodies with great attention to detail. Most songs seem almost impossible to wear out.
30.05.2012 - 16:12
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Guest on 29.05.2012 at 22:23

I agree and I was all worried the quality of the last album was going to be near impossible to live up to. This is hands down the best album I've heard in a long time.
31.05.2012 - 17:29
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
I can honestly just leave this album playing all day on repeat while I work without getting bored. I can't stop listening to this album. I don't know how, but they've somehow managed to surpass everything they've done before this.
01.06.2012 - 01:38
Rating: 6
strade

You know what, I'll give this one another shot. I haven't heard a negative thing about it, so it earns a few tries at least.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
01.06.2012 - 03:32
Rating: 8
Nightfall

It doesn't hold a candle to Stone's Reach. It's only my first listen, but I liked their previous album on the first listen and the style hasn't changed in absolute so I don't see why would it be different after more listens. But well, I'll give it another chance later. I might be wrong.
01.06.2012 - 03:56
jesterhead57

Written by Nightfall on 01.06.2012 at 03:32

It doesn't hold a candle to Stone's Reach. It's only my first listen, but I liked their previous album on the first listen and the style hasn't changed in absolute so I don't see why would it be different after more listens. But well, I'll give it another chance later. I might be wrong.

I'm enjoying it slightly more than Stone's Reach. Then again, I've had the disk for several days now (lim. digipack) and I've probably listened to it attentively 20 times thru.
01.06.2012 - 04:35
neiluria

It promises
01.06.2012 - 04:50
Timmeh
Dudeman

It doesn't hold a candle to Stone's Reach. It's only my first listen...

Give it some more spins on my first listen I probably would of only rated 7/8, but now I enjoy it more than SR (Stone's Reach). I think its just more beefy than SR, more choc filled with melodies etc. Remember that amazing outro to Countless Skies when there is what seems like 5+melodies working together in unison? That sort of thing is going on constantly on this album compared to SR where it happens far less, this is why I say this album is more beefed out.

Also after more listens you'll start to anticipate very memorable sections (and there is a lot of those!).
01.06.2012 - 08:12
Reaper_Redeemer

Written by Timmeh on 01.06.2012 at 04:50

Give it some more spins on my first listen I probably would of only rated 7/8, but now I enjoy it more than SR (Stone's Reach). I think its just more beefy than SR, more choc filled with melodies etc. Remember that amazing outro to Countless Skies when there is what seems like 5+melodies working together in unison? That sort of thing is going on constantly on this album compared to SR where it happens far less, this is why I say this album is more beefed out.

Also after more listens you'll start to anticipate very memorable sections (and there is a lot of those!).

(Y)
You have a point man, this is it!

But i didnt like to give a 10 again, but.... uhhh again??? AGAIN???!!! Again.... Again OF COURSE . Also I just ordered the disc, they offer it from their site!
01.06.2012 - 08:56
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Reaper_Redeemer on 01.06.2012 at 08:12

(Y)
You have a point man, this is it!
But i didnt like to give a 10 again, but.... uhhh again??? AGAIN???!!! Again.... Again OF COURSE . Also I just ordered the disc, they offer it from their site!

Yeah I really think that with all the extra stuff going on in the songs the atmosphere created is denser and more absorbing. Good to see you're supporting the band dude, I managed to get the signed digipack .
01.06.2012 - 11:07
Rating: 5
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Wow, this is just bad; not only nothing new compared to previous material, but also tediously samey; don't know what you people find here.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.06.2012 - 11:39
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by K✞ulu on 01.06.2012 at 11:07

tediously samey

Too folky for your tastes perhaps?
01.06.2012 - 11:55
Rating: 5
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Risto on 01.06.2012 at 11:39

Written by K✞ulu on 01.06.2012 at 11:07

tediously samey

Too folky for your tastes perhaps?

Not that (although this raises the whole MDM definition issue). I don't see what they have really achieved with this album. I was not too impressed with The Stone's Reach, but they have done everything on that album they are doing on Of Breath and Bone. The "8-bit style" of some leads (you know what I mean?) is something unique to them, but it sounds very repetitive. The drumming is also very monotonous: absolutely nothing to look out for there --> same patterns, same techniques, same sequences...

I don't want to sound like one living in the past, but modern MDM is absolutely stale for me. Opeth's Orchid, In Flames' The Jester Race/Lunar Strain, Dark Tranquility's The Gallery... As for Be'lakor, I don't see any touch of genius or even quality songwriting with them.

Maybe, one could say that I don't like the whole atmospheric direction of modern MDM... and more importantly, where is the mighty riff?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.06.2012 - 14:34
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
Just when I gave up on Melodeath
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.06.2012 - 20:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by InnerSelf on 01.06.2012 at 14:34

That's what I felt like right before listening to this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.06.2012 - 21:57
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by K✞ulu on 01.06.2012 at 11:55

Maybe, one could say that I don't like the whole atmospheric direction of modern MDM... and more importantly, where is the mighty riff?

Pretty much what I thought when I read your reply. The fact you focus that much on technical stuff kinda shows you don't feel the atmosphere Whereas you're missing "the mighty riff" I think that MASSIVE riff in "Fraught" is the goddamn riff of the year, haha.

BTW, the minor stylistic difference to Stone's Reach I find is the overall sound is more defined.
01.06.2012 - 23:33
Fredd
Account deleted
Better than Stone's Reach, but still inferior to The Frail Tide. Very good melodeath nonetheless.
01.06.2012 - 23:52
tirim4

I can't really say I get as excited over a new melo death album as I used to be but this is some good shit. The once again manages to not fall into the pit of repetiveness that melo death can be, yet I feel Stone's Reach was a little more varied.
02.06.2012 - 00:33
Nightfall

I'm really surpirsed at this constructive advice. I'll give it another spin today.
02.06.2012 - 02:09
Svneatr
Vitharr
I was a fan of Stone's Reach. Of Breath and Bone made me a fan of Be'lakor.
02.06.2012 - 02:25
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.06.2012 at 20:51

Written by InnerSelf on 01.06.2012 at 14:34

That's what I felt like right before listening to this.

It's weird, I used to get a hard on listening to Dark Tranquility, old-Arch Enemy, Insomnium but no other band seemed to offer something that would entice me as much until Belakor showed up ... Stone's Reach was fresh and highly enjoyable and this album is blowing my mind right now
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
02.06.2012 - 07:21
JÄY
Metal slave
In my mind, I don't think of AUS as being that different from USA...then I listen to this.
02.06.2012 - 07:42

Hadn't waited for any other album like I'd waited for this - Stone's Reach was just so superior to anything else I've heard... have to say this was a bit disappointing, though less so than Orwarrior was or what I can only assume Wintersun is going to be this year. I don't agree it's as layered as SR, too many single track acoustic and keys passages for my liking. The more noticeable difference in song writing is the sudden use of off-scale sharps and flats in the chord progression - a little harder to get into so I need to give it a few more spins, but don't think it fits into their brand of MDM... But I'm shamelessly salivating over the drums being gleefully identical to SR. On that note, can't really understand why people expected/wanted something radically different from SR? I only wanted one more SR clone so I can stop wearing out my SR CD!
02.06.2012 - 08:59
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Nervosa Aeturnus on 02.06.2012 at 07:42
Hadn't waited for any other album like I'd waited for this - Stone's Reach was just so superior to anything else I've heard... have to say this was a bit disappointing, though less so than Orwarrior was or what I can only assume Wintersun is going to be this year. I don't agree it's as layered as SR, too many single track acoustic and keys passages for my liking. The more noticeable difference in song writing is the sudden use of off-scale sharps and flats in the chord progression - a little harder to get into so I need to give it a few more spins, but don't think it fits into their brand of MDM... But I'm shamelessly salivating over the drums being gleefully identical to SR. On that note, can't really understand why people expected/wanted something radically different from SR? I only wanted one more SR clone so I can stop wearing out my SR CD!

I listened through the whole of SR again yesterday and it seemed drier and less dense than I remember it being and I'm blaming that on OBaB. In regards to OBaB I didn't notice an overload of single track passages at all, and the ones that were used set up the next sequence nicely (see In Parting middish way through). I also really enjoyed the keys seeming more evident throughout most the album it adds a whole extra element in my mind making the music seem more complete. It just seems like more of a whole band effort with the instruments conforming and binding nicely on this album often creating the illusion that there is more concurrent tracks than there is instruments (the vocal sections seemed improved and well placed as well). Some of the sections from the last 3 songs are just gobsmacking.

Either way SR is a boss album that's for sure and one of my all time favourites. I agree with you on the drums to, gotta love that fancy cymbal work .
03.06.2012 - 04:48
SelfXPlanetOrE

Pretty damn impressive!
03.06.2012 - 09:35
DevilishSong

It sounds better after each listening ...
03.06.2012 - 10:37
The Melting Snow

Http://youtu.be/Vnzqy28H50s

listen to the complete album here
03.06.2012 - 12:24
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This is sounding lifeless in comparison to Stone's Reach. Where's the character gone, with so many different influences. And where did the atmosphere go? Those melodies are grabbing me much more immediately though.
I hope it all changes but it sounds very bare bones to me at the moment.
03.06.2012 - 18:07
JÄY
Metal slave
I used to be able to enjoy this kind of deep, complex music before I had kids, but now I find find myself wishing it was more straight forward and to the point. Maybe some of you with 1 hour of music listening time per day and agree.

Hits total: 61899 | This month: 68