Metal Storm logo
What is you favorite thought provoking song?

31.08.2006 - 22:08
Dali
Account deleted
I'm interested in seeing what song you would choose and possibly why the song makes you think.
31.08.2006 - 22:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well,read the lyrics to everything ends by slipknot.it used to be my favourite song in say..july last year..if that's not provocative i don't know what is
01.09.2006 - 00:13
Endoftherainbow

Anything written by Tool is usually my favorite thought provoking thing because in some songs it's hard to know what they're talking about and what they are trying to say like the song Die Eier Von Satan sounds like some Nazi thing but then when it's translated all it is is a recipe.
01.09.2006 - 05:28
tulkas
el parcero
Well, Scissors and Diluted from Slipknot make me think a lot. (Slipknot in general)
Also, although in a completely different way, Tallulah from Sonata Arctica
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
01.09.2006 - 07:42
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Provoking in which sense my young apprentice? I can say, for example, that Limp Bizkit's songs provoke me nausea.
----
Christless
01.09.2006 - 11:38
ironman2002

Strairway to Heaven. I just fly away with this song..
04.09.2006 - 19:37
Dali
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 01.09.2006 at 07:42

Provoking in which sense my young apprentice? I can say, for example, that Limp Bizkit's songs provoke me nausea.

yes I could say the same lolz. I messed up the title, it should read "thoughT provoking".
04.09.2006 - 20:18
Icewings
La Luna
Hey nice thread , uhmm let me see a lot of songs give my thoughts , and actually I get inspired by a lot of songs , uhmm is difficult to decide , liek for example when I listen to Rhapsody is liek wow I get a lot of thoughts , like being in another land and things like that , when I listen to Lacrimosa uhmm I think of cold , rain , ..when I listen to Emperor I imagine dark things ...well maybe my mind is too active , so with everything I listen to it gives me thoughts
----

Metalheads for Black Lives and Land Back
05.09.2006 - 02:41
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Rainbow - Eyes of the world

When I was younger these lyrics were something to think about
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
05.09.2006 - 05:05
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 04.09.2006 at 19:37

Written by Darth Satanious on 01.09.2006 at 07:42

yes I could say the same lolz. I messed up the title, it should read "thoughT provoking".

Oh ok, that explains.

Now that I know what this thread is really about, I have to mention Pantera's "Fucking Hostile" song for it raises several points regarding society, some to which I agree and some I may not. Even if I don't agree with some points they still demand thoughts to argument against anyway so...

This is the song that comes to my mind right now.
----
Christless
07.09.2006 - 21:29
Bas
Retired Staff
some Clawfinger song i suppose, all of their lyrics are awesome, if i'd had to choose then i'd probably take Nigger, Close Your Eyes or Are You Man Enough? all three have awesome and thought-provoking lyrical content, my signature is a part of Are You Man Enough? btw
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
07.09.2006 - 21:48
Sunioj

Morbid Angel - world of shit ( the promised land ), and its because I live in the promise land, and this place is a holy fuck!
10.09.2006 - 02:52
Daru Jericho

So many songs. I could never choose just one but Kevin Moore, Dream Theater's old keys player, wrote a lot of my favourite lyrics about varying topics. It seemed that every work of his was a masterpiece.

Anyhow, a song with lyrics that have been thought provoking for a long time for me is Dream Theater's 'To Live Forever'. In fact, I have a copy of those lyrics and all the variations of it that were made on my wall. It's mostly written by Petrucci but there's a bit written by Moore. For me, this song says so much. It touches on society, lamentation, doing things in vain and sometimes I think suicide somewhere amidst other things. The lyrics are just so...beautiful. I can't describe how it makes me feel and think.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

10.09.2006 - 03:09
SkinChamber
Account deleted
"I've Got A Brand-New Combine Harvester and I'll Give You The Key" the name of the artist escapes me right now, however this song always generated very deep and meaningful late night conversations.
14.09.2006 - 01:02
Dali
Account deleted
I'm slowly checking out these songs (the ones I don't know), keep the songs coming cause I have alot of thinking time, lolz.

A non-metal artist I find very lyrically thought-provoking is Tori Amos. I just finished listening to "Boys for Pele" a very interesting album.
15.09.2006 - 05:21
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Schism, by Tool. Comunication issues...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
15.09.2006 - 06:55
Jerk

You Suffer By Napalm Death is a good one. Shitty song but good lyric.
----
Oct 1 - COB, BDM
Dec 7 - CC, BoO
15.09.2006 - 16:42
Dam3k

My favourite ones... but any lyric well written I think makes me think... some Iced Earth and Heroes del Silencio songs make me think... but nothing precise, it depends on my mood and the moment...
----

19.09.2006 - 18:27
Cryogenic_Death

fade to black by metallica
----
||SPACE FOR RENT||
19.09.2006 - 22:07
boris
Account deleted
Carcass - No Love Lost , the whole album "Heartwork" has a point...
23.09.2006 - 02:58
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
Good music shouldn't make you "think", just the opposite, it has to make you feel an abstraction and isolation and concentrate only on it... good music is stunning, and when you're stunned you make anything but thinking... jst feel.
23.09.2006 - 15:01
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Well noone said it should be metal, so - Franz Ferdinand. I love their cryptic, avant-garde lyrics, sometimes I can't stop thinking about it and analyzing it...

I don't think there's a metal band that really makes me think, I usually do listen to lyrics or read them, but to think about them.... I think my toughest challenge were early Theatre of Tragedy, but that only because of the middle english, not the messages....
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
23.09.2006 - 17:24
Dali
Account deleted
The term "thought provoking" could actually be interpreted in different ways. As an example the song "One" by Metallica has always been thought provoking for me. It makes me think of what the man is feeling and how I would feel placed within that same scenario. How confusing and hopeless every minute of existence would seem. In another form the band Isis is very lyrically thought provoking, the obscurity of the words makes me think, try to decipher the meaning of the song itself. So in different ways we can all be provoked by a song into thought, not just a "hmm.. wtf does that mean", but thinking in terms of emotions and situations we have never experienced ourselves. Also imagery, is a form of thought, so for all those power metal fans who love to be whisked away to far off lands, that is thought provokation at it's best.

@Phoennix - I welcome any addition to the topic not just metal, thank you.

@Streetcleaner - Read what I wrote about One above. Feeling emotion is spawned first from thought. If we never thought about what the song is meaning, how could any feeling or emotion be felt?

"it has to make you feel an abstraction"

Abstraction is the process of reducing the information content of a concept, typically in order to retain only information which is relevant for a particular purpose. (from wikipedia) First you must complete the "abstraction" then the emotion overtakes.
25.09.2006 - 15:32
Sunioj

The only bands that really make me think are ones that had a bad past or have been in involved and accused of being satanists. Such as melechesh, morbid angel, dissection, mayhem, burzum, and etc.
30.09.2006 - 18:05
?Bodomchild?

Revelations - Iron Maiden

La Venganza de Gaia - Mago de Oz .....if you haven't heard it......plz do it and traslate the lyric...its amazing
----
asd
30.09.2006 - 23:55
Klaara
Account deleted
From not metal area - some songs with feeling - by Audioslave (Doesn't Remind Me,, Peace, Love and Understanding,, Show Me How To Live etc. ), Soundgarden, R.E.M. (Loosing My Religion,, Everybody Hurts....) also a lot songs by Pink Floyd and Rush (Force Ten,, 2112,, Red Sector A ...) and Daniel Landa, Czech singer, but you must understand Czech language in his case, of course.

In metal - well... in this music it's mostly about dreams and other worlds for me, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, Avantasia, Edguy sometimes... stuff like that.
I agree that Tool are thought-provoking, their lyrics are just ... weird.
And also Sentenced can make me think and/or dream. They're a bit depressive too, sometimes.
06.10.2006 - 07:14
Frost/bitten
Account deleted
early black metal. Darkthrone, Emperor, Satyricon, and mayhem the early works of these bands are anomolies in music. Its poorly produced and very quiet. But put it on as your going to bed, only the quiet early stuff. It give you some of the most fucked up and wiered dreams. My most recommended for this...
Dark Medievil Times - Satyricon
Wrath of the Tyrant - Emperor
Into the Nightside Eclipse - Emperor
A Blaze in the North Sky - Darkthrone

Other thought provoking work that you may find interesting for other reasons...
Widows Weed - Tristania
Mother Earth - Within Temptation
Cult - Apocalyptica
Orchid - Opeth

It tends to be the very trancey stuff for me that inspires dreams
06.10.2006 - 09:24
CollisionInMind
Account deleted
Most of you guys seem to go for the cryptic, deep stuff. Not me. I like in-your-face-make-you-think-whether-you-want-to-or-not.

For me it isn't a metal song, it's a rap song. Immortal Technique - Cause of Death.
27.01.2007 - 07:35
Manilla
Account deleted
BLINDED BY THE LIGHT by Bruce Springsteen (although I like the Manfred Mann version much better). Crazy lyrics that seem nonsensical, but nevertheless, very cool.
27.01.2007 - 07:35
Manilla
Account deleted
BLINDED BY THE LIGHT by Bruce Springsteen (although I like the Manfred Mann version much better). Crazy lyrics that seem nonsensical, but nevertheless, very cool.