Metal Storm logo
What is you favorite thought provoking song?

Original post

Posted by , 31.08.2006 - 22:08
I'm interested in seeing what song you would choose and possibly why the song makes you think.
26.06.2008 - 09:57
MortalTheory
Account deleted
hmmm...
Blackwater Park by Opeth
28.06.2008 - 14:10
Candlemass
Defaeco
All songs from "The Holy bible" by MSP

All Death's lyrics.

SOme 80's Thrash metal.

Pain of Salvation.
06.07.2008 - 12:49
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 26.06.2008 at 09:57

hmmm...
Blackwater Park by Opeth

and why do you think its thought provoking?

Since we are speaking about Opeth i'd say "The Baying of the Hounds" I'm sure I know to what hounds he is referring to
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.07.2008 - 04:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Definitely a provoking song would be "Scream Of The Butterfly" By Acid Bath...

The lyrics are very special for me... It has my kind of dark humor and beauty on it.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.07.2008 - 05:52
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Heroes End by Judas Priest. very good lyrics and a very good tribute to music's 27 club.
Violent Revolution by Kreator. a song with great lines satirizing society.
One by Metallica. though its from ...And Justice for All, its war theme is very prevalent.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.07.2008 - 10:48
MortalTheory
Account deleted
Written by BloodTears on 06.07.2008 at 12:49

Written by Guest on 26.06.2008 at 09:57

hmmm...
Blackwater Park by Opeth

and why do you think its thought provoking?

Since we are speaking about Opeth i'd say "The Baying of the Hounds" I'm sure I know to what hounds he is referring to

it's hard to explain, i didn't mean lyrically or vocally thought procoking. Musically, it makes me think about different kinds of aesthetic choices in metal. But then again, so does pretty much every Dream Theater and Lamb of God song... so i don't really know what puts this song apart from the others... it's not even my favorite Opeth song... so i really don't know how to put it.
07.07.2008 - 21:42
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.07.2008 at 04:07

Definitely a provoking song would be "Scream Of The Butterfly" By Acid Bath...

The lyrics are very special for me... It has my kind of dark humor and beauty on it.

That song does conjure some awesome visuals, doesn't it? And I love the lines "I met an angel with a sawed off shotgun / wanted by the FBI / We dropped some acid, killed our parents / then we hit the road". I like a lot of Acid Bath's lyrics, I think they have some of a Burroughsesque feel to them.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
07.07.2008 - 21:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 07.07.2008 at 21:42

That song does conjure some awesome visuals, doesn't it? And I love the lines "I met an angel with a sawed off shotgun / wanted by the FBI / We dropped some acid, killed our parents / then we hit the road". I like a lot of Acid Bath's lyrics, I think they have some of a Burroughsesque feel to them.

Yeah... I always think about a cuople, and the guy is so in love with her that he can almost eat her jajajjajaj.
It's like a love-song but in a very disturbing way.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.07.2008 - 23:18
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.07.2008 at 21:49

Yeah... I always think about a cuople, and the guy is so in love with her that he can almost eat her jajajjajaj.
It's like a love-song but in a very disturbing way.

I get that, but more on Cassie Eats Cockroaches. A very disturbed love song. "A funeral romance".

The song "The Hangman's Daughter" from their side(?)-project Agents of Oblivion, I think has also some of that feeling... though less disturbed (still morbid, though) and more lyrical: "Naked we worship the nightsky". It's cute even.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
19.08.2008 - 13:37
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Well I was listening to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and realized that "the great debate" fits this thread. I wouldn't say it is my favourite but it surely makes you think.
----

My Instagram
20.08.2008 - 11:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Yes, Nevermore are very keen on that and they do it well.
----

My Instagram
27.09.2008 - 19:08
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
"Burn it Down" by Avenged Sevenfold...

LOL JUST KIDDING.

"For All Those Who Died" by Bathory makes me think of war and all the hell it causes and makes me empathize with families who have lost children because of the senseless war the USA is waging.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
27.09.2008 - 21:11
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
i just found the answer to something wandering in my mind for a long time while listening to Eye of The Beholder by Metallica.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
28.09.2008 - 00:50
Hrothdane

Definately Imaginations from the Other Side (the song). It really captures the tragedy of someone losing imagination as they age.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
30.09.2008 - 07:17
Metal_Militia

Written by Candlemass on 28.06.2008 at 14:10

All Death's lyrics.

SOme 80's Thrash metal.

Pain of Salvation.

//Nice...Is also like to thrown in Anathema's Alternative 4 album as well as Discouraged Ones/Viva Emptiness by Katatonia//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

04.10.2008 - 23:22
nana.MD
Star-Queen
death - voice of the soul...makes me feel alot of things...it sometimes can be disturbing, lonely, joy...it's weird i guess it depends on what's going on with my life...
hell's kitchen - dream theater...always make me relax, chill out...when i'm upset or something it calms me a bit...
5 minutes alone - pantera...melancholy

...there r so much songs!! could go on and on hehe...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
04.10.2008 - 23:46
thesabbathfan

Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath
----
05.10.2008 - 00:15
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
IQ - Harvest Of Souls
24 minutes and 29 seconds of pure mental stimulation, you never know where it is going to go next...
I also sense a little social commentary but I won't ruin the surprise for anyone...
05.10.2008 - 00:18
Torelli

Dark tranquillity usuallly have thought-provoking songs. One that I think the majority would find thought-proving would be their song "I am 1"...
07.10.2008 - 04:26
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Aenima by Tool.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
07.10.2008 - 13:44
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Torelli on 05.10.2008 at 00:18

Dark tranquillity usuallly have thought-provoking songs. One that I think the majority would find thought-proving would be their song "I am 1"...

yes...yes...yes...DT is fantastic, good for you for having a high apportunity to see 'em live in Sweden.
i also find Pink Floyd thought provoking. and Mecenary too, particulary "11 Dreams".
----
07.10.2008 - 22:39
Torelli

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 07.10.2008 at 13:44

yes...yes...yes...DT is fantastic, good for you for having a high apportunity to see 'em live in Sweden.
i also find Pink Floyd thought provoking. and Mecenary too, particulary "11 Dreams".

Indeed, pink floyd do have thought-provoking songs, though I have to admit that I haven't heard so much about Mercenary. Read the Lyrics for "11 dreams" and it seems intresting, espcially when the choose to cover Kent of all bands.

I just happen to be that I might see Dark tranquillity live in about 2 months
08.10.2008 - 00:31
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Torelli on 07.10.2008 at 22:39

...Read the Lyrics for "11 dreams" and it seems intresting...

you can dl it from their official website here, if you're interested.

that's great, have a vEEEEEEry good time buddy. and i'm going to send my non-existent soul there to attend it
----
10.10.2008 - 05:55
DevilBabi

HHhhhhhmmm.
I'll go with Tool, Aenema.
I jsut love that song. It haunts me, LOL - How dramtatic.
But it's true. I think the wisdom in this song is beyond even Maynard's understanding.
listen to it, up loud, with no distractions, best with head phones on, in the dark.
Guaranteed goose bumps
10.10.2008 - 06:06
Branzig

Anytime I listen to a super political band (Dead Kennedys, MDC, Negative Approach, The Dicks...) I start to think a lot. I always end up getting really angry at the state that we are currently in and I want to start a riot lol.

You know, it is high time we have ourselves a little punk uprising again...a lot of whats going on today isn't far from how that fascist Reagan was running things. I think the youth would do good to have a little political assault driven into their heads...

Anyways, as for one song, I'd either go with Corporate Deathburger, Terminal Preppie, or The Dicks Hate Police.
----
In Grind We Crust
15.10.2008 - 15:34
Torelli

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 08.10.2008 at 00:31

Written by Torelli on 07.10.2008 at 22:39

...Read the Lyrics for "11 dreams" and it seems intresting...

you can dl it from their official website here, if you're interested.

that's great, have a vEEEEEEry good time buddy. and i'm going to send my non-existent soul there to attend it

Thanks. I will download it once I can get hold of/afford an own computer. For now, I have to worry about finding an appartment again and I will possibly try to find some money to a trip to the northern parts of sweden aswell, but hopefully I can still attend the gig.
26.12.2008 - 20:56
Torelli

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 07.10.2008 at 13:44

Just heard it now... awsome song!
27.12.2008 - 18:56
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Written by Torelli on 26.12.2008 at 20:56

I'm glad you liked it.
How was the gig by the way?
----
27.12.2008 - 23:22
Torelli

Written by AiwiAstwihad on 27.12.2008 at 18:56

Written by Torelli on 26.12.2008 at 20:56

I'm glad you liked it.
How was the gig by the way?

Absolutly fantastic! Mikeal stanne actuallt took the oppertunity to crow surf while singing... The setlist was mostly from the gallery, Character and Fiction, in other words, good stuff.
28.12.2008 - 17:05
Coté

I would say Are you there by Anathema.

I know is a very calm song but it really got to me. I mean I left my birth country almost 4 years ago and I always wonder if the people I left are still there. I think the song is very emotional, it kind of wants to make you cry.
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::