Metal Storm logo
Exodus - Nottingham, England, 22nd November 2010

Event: Exodus: UK & Ireland Tour
Written by: Baz Anderson
Published: 23.11.2010

Galleries:

Exodus - Nottingham, England, 22nd November 2010 by Baz Anderson (19)

It seemed somewhat bizarre that Exodus, these undeniable thrash metal legends would be playing at one of the smaller venues in Nottingham, but even more so that the queue to get in the venue before the show consisted of only a handful of people. Maybe because it was a Monday night, who knows.

It was going to be a relatively brief night with just the two bands. First up were Scotland's metal machine, Man Must Die. These guys might come over as somewhat of a technical death metal outfit on their recordings, but in the live environment their music sounded unmistakably deathcore. The band had a small audience, and even a smaller minority who seemed to be enjoying the set. Tonight's audience had a number of middle-aged members, who probably just could not appreciate the modern edge. The band showed us that they can provide some nice crushing death metal, but the pleasant parts were all too infrequent in among the vocalist's crude outbursts.

Man Must Die

Still relatively early in the evening, Exodus took the stage to a much busier room. Not entirely packed, but people were standing from the front to the back. The audience were clearly ready and up for it, bursting in to chaos for the opening two songs of the latest album. Exodus always sound harder and sharper live, and this wasn't an exception. Rob and the gang owned the stage, although it was the intimidating frontman doing all of the moving on there himself.

Exodus

In this intimate environment Rob was not acting as overtly brute-minded, and built up somewhat of a connection with the audience with the help of a few humorous comments that the last time they played in Bradford, he almost confused it for Afghanistan - before plunging into a surprisingly enjoyable version of "Children Of A Worthless God". The main problem with the later Exodus material is that the songs are so long, and this was felt in the set only a tiny amount as the band's setlist had a healthy balance between new and old. "A Lesson In Violence" and "Piranha" met with the crushing "Deathamphetamine" and galloping "War Is My Shepherd". There wasn't much to complain about song-selection-wise, other than the band still completely ignore the fantastic Fabulous Disaster album, bar "The Toxic Waltz".

Exodus

Illness must have been in the air this evening though, as Rob seemed quite exhausted and during "Piranha" ended up being sick both in front of the drum kit, and over the front of the stage behind the barrier. Much respect has to be given that he didn't miss any lyrics and battled on through the whole set in order to give the people what they deserve. The hot room also took an audience member, presumably through dehydration.

Exodus

The band came back for an encore of four great songs, including three great classics from the eighties. Exodus certainly proved their worth tonight as still one of thrash metal's biggest forces in the live arena. The band seemed humble and appreciative the audience showed up on a Monday night, and certainly gave us all a deeply satisfying show that won't be forgotten for a while.

Exodus

Setlist:
The Ballad Of Leonard And Charles
Beyond The Pale
Iconoclasm
A Lesson In Violence
Children Of A Worthless God
Piranha
Deathamphetamine
Blacklist
War Is My Shepherd
--
Bonded By Blood
The Toxic Waltz
Strike Of The Beast
Good Riddance

Thanks to Adam for the accreditation.
Written by Barry Anderson.
Photos by Barry Anderson.

Written on 23.11.2010 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 9   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 120 users
23.11.2010 - 17:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Damn NOT a single sing off Pleasures Of The Flesh. Now that is a disgrace imo.

As for rob being sick on stage he seems to have a knack for that
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.11.2010 - 00:36
Kingface

Sounds like it was a great show, I would've loved to have been able to make it.
24.11.2010 - 15:29
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
I'm seeing Exodus with Kreator and Death Angel in two weeks!! Thanks for this review! I'm so pumped. Seen them three times before, and they're definitely better in club gigs.
----
THRASH!!!
24.11.2010 - 23:00
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I have seen Exodus once in the past and it was definitely one of the greatest gigs of the year, no matter what they play, I think they always end delivering the goods.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
25.11.2010 - 04:57
DoomGuard

They were amazing when I saw them live, good review

Odd thing is that when I saw them Rob was feeling a little under the weather too. Maybe he gets sick easily...
25.11.2010 - 20:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DoomGuard on 25.11.2010 at 04:57

Maybe he gets sick easily...

Maybe he can't handle his spliifs too well?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.12.2010 - 00:12
Baz Anderson

Written by Owain glyndwr on 09.12.2010 at 23:19

This is to metal storm about me not being allowed to use my flag of my country. that's why i use the irish flag. i think you are just as bad as the english themselves because if the really good bands that i'm into are playing in cardiff it would be the uk. but if a band plays in nottingham you put england and not the uk. this is a message to the world: the english will never be celtic and part of our culture. fuck off and die!

I will invite you to have a look at these:
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=865
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=750
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=675
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/article.php?article_id=583

Please tell me the name of the country I have used.
Apart from concert reviews that I write, this website lists every event/user in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as United Kingdom. Have a look in my profile - it is UK, not England.
03.02.2011 - 13:38
Jusbaked

Written by DrunkenFuck on 24.11.2010 at 15:29

I'm seeing Exodus with Kreator and Death Angel in two weeks!! Thanks for this review! I'm so pumped. Seen them three times before, and they're definitely better in club gigs.

holy balls that would be a fucking amazing show.
04.02.2011 - 00:25
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Jusbaked on 03.02.2011 at 13:38

Written by DrunkenFuck on 24.11.2010 at 15:29

holy balls that would be a fucking amazing show.

It was amazing!! Rob Dukes even beat this guy who kept jumping onto the stage to a pole, threw him into the drums and stuff! It was awesome! HAHA
----
THRASH!!!

Hits total: 5513 | This month: 7