06. March Of The Sycophants
07. Nanking
08. Burn, Hollywood, Burn
09. Democide
10. The Sun Is My Destroyer
11. A Perpetual State Of Indifference
12. Good Riddance
13. Devil's Teeth [bonus]

With the birth of The Big Four, we have all basked among the glory of albums like Master Of Puppets, Reign in Blood, Peace Sells and Among The Living, and also the tier two bands such as Testament, Death Angel, Overkill, Annihilator and yes, Exodus. The only difference though is that The Big Four started to slowly descend from their holy rankings. Have the tier two bands descended down yet? Not even close.

When I first got this album, it was because of the positive comments on this site. The skepticism I had for this band was another main reason for buying this album, and I was missing out! This is my first enlightenment about Lee Altus Gary Holt's ass kicking, frantic-like style of soloing and riffing such as "Good Riddance" and "Beyond The Pale": nothing like I've ever seen before. You've also got Tom Hunting, with beastly drumming only comparable to Paul Bostaph (who played with Exodus before on 2005's Shovel Headed Kill Machine), you also got Jack Gibson with notable moments in "Downfall" and "Nanking" and finally you have Rob Dukes. Probably the most hated person in Exodus to die-hard fans, actually has made me want to become a singer! The man has aggression written all over him, and with songs like "Burn Hollywood Burn" and "Class Dismissed," it's definitely proven that he is my favorite thrash metal vocalist (no disrespect to Baloff though).

The problem with this album though is that, despite the high praise I give it, all of the songs follow a similar structure: intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, instrumental section (which is done for quite a while), solos, verse, chorus then finally outro. A bit irritating for me, because I like a bit of diversity. I've heard better sound quality too, but it doesn't mean the sound is terrible, it means that there are better albums with better quality (Tales From The Grave In Space is a good example).

So, thanks to this Bay Area band, I've learned to explore other bands and to not quickly judge albums by the first 30 seconds of a song, because Exodus delivers like none other. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get Let There Be Blood.

Notable Songs: Burn Hollywood Burn, Beyond The Pale, Good Riddance, March Of The Sycophants

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by | 27.11.2010

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
So Exodus is back, again, with Exhibit B: The Human Condition after a relatively short (for them) layoff. The Bay Area Bashers have returned doing what they do best, wreaking havoc and crushing skulls.

The H&H Guitar tandem (this time, Holt and Heathen's Lee Altus) have concocted some monstrously crushing riffs and shredding leads. Jack Gibson provides some great support on bass, Tom Hunting treats his kit like I treat my monkey (he often misbehaves and I must spank him frequently) and the band's third front man, Rob Dukes froths and spits at the mic with fantastic venom, bile, and power... cementing his place as an equal to the monstrous combat boots of his predecessors.

Read more ››
published 10.07.2010 | Comments (27)

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 129 users
27.11.2010 - 18:49
Rating: 7
vezzy
Stallmanite
I have nothing to say about this review, so I shall instead comment on the first paragraph.

Testament, Death Angel and Annihilator have definitely descended from their glory days.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.11.2010 - 18:59
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 27.11.2010 at 18:49

I have nothing to say about this review, so I shall instead comment on the first paragraph.

Testament, Death Angel and Annihilator have definitely descended from their glory days.

...meh, more or less.
27.11.2010 - 19:30
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
With your description of songwriting and the sound I would expect lower ratings of corresponding aspects... By the way, do you think the album is a bit too long?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
27.11.2010 - 19:41
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 27.11.2010 at 19:30

With your description of songwriting and the sound I would expect lower ratings of corresponding aspects... By the way, do you think the album is a bit too long?

Sound I don't have a problem with (because all the albums I own so far, have great sound quality). I don't understand the songwriting rating, so it's a partial screw up on my end.
The album is somewhat long, but I don't have a problem it as well because I know Exodus for 5-6 minute songs like this (Deathamphetamine, Forward March, Bedlam 1-2-3 for instance).
28.11.2010 - 01:46
JCJen7

Death Angel and Annihilator sure have, but in my opinion, the Formation of Damnation is a top Testament release with the Guardian and Low
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
11.12.2010 - 03:54
usemy3rdarm

The album may be a long time runner. But at least Exodus still maintains the musical talent to keep the songs interesting, and enjoyable.
22.02.2011 - 03:05
Rating: 10
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by JCJen7 on 28.11.2010 at 01:46

Death Angel and Annihilator sure have, but in my opinion, the Formation of Damnation is a top Testament release with the Guardian and Low

Fuck yeah, that album was sick. Can't wait for the new one.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
22.02.2011 - 03:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I felt BitterCOld's review was more accurate for my tastes (not just because of the rating either). You point out the problem of repetition in song structure from beginning to end, but give this 8.7 out of 10. Doesn't add up in my opinion.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.02.2011 - 05:42
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.02.2011 at 03:56

I felt BitterCOld's review was more accurate for my tastes (not just because of the rating either). You point out the problem of repetition in song structure from beginning to end, but give this 8.7 out of 10. Doesn't add up in my opinion.

/Flex.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.07.2011 - 11:38
musicalkaratekid

I dont know about testament, but i certainly agree with death angel and annihilator going on a downward spiral,musically.
21.07.2011 - 11:50
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by musicalkaratekid on 21.07.2011 at 11:38

I dont know about testament, but i certainly agree with death angel and annihilator going on a downward spiral,musically.

Testament has been on the downward spiral since "New Order"...
21.07.2011 - 14:08
musicalkaratekid

Written by Daniell on 21.07.2011 at 11:50

Although 'the new order is my favourite album by testament, i have to say their latest (The formation of damnation)was still pretty good!
21.07.2011 - 18:45
Mattybu

Written by Daniell on 21.07.2011 at 11:50

That I can agree with. Their first two albums were just golden, for me they never got that quality back.
05.08.2011 - 16:42
Darth Revan

I do agree that the album is a great one in essence, but I don't think it deserves an 8.7. I'd give it an 8; good, but has its problems. Still, gotta hand it to Exodus for making such long albums and thrashing like mad all throughout pretty much...

Hits total: 3901 | This month: 9