Metal Storm logo
Opinion on backup vocalist

01.12.2010 - 01:55
freakymrq

I've read messages(such as on youtube) about how like some backup vocalists ruin songs and i beg to differ, like as i lay dying song parallels about the parts with the bass(i think not sure)player sings i like it, or like all that remains the bass players growls are awesome, or some avenged sevenfold songs like a little piece of heaven or unbound. What do yall think?
----
Life......
01.12.2010 - 01:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like some, depends what style, what song, how he sing, of lyrics but like I told beck up shood be beck up, I wont be happy hear all album whit beck ups
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.12.2010 - 02:17
Luneth
Account deleted
I like backups in Symphonic and Classical metal.

Fairyland and Galneryus do it well imo
02.12.2010 - 18:56
theregnar
Account deleted
Written by freakymrq on 01.12.2010 at 01:55

I've read messages(such as on youtube) about how like some backup vocalists ruin songs and i beg to differ, like as i lay dying song parallels about the parts with the bass(i think not sure)player sings i like it, or like all that remains the bass players growls are awesome, or some avenged sevenfold songs like a little piece of heaven or unbound. What do yall think?

well you mentioned only metalcore bands and having clean vocals is pretty much a habit in the genre. clean vocals in metalcore don't bother me that much but in other genres they really can ruin a song, for example Norther - Frozen Angel, the song is pretty tight until the shity chorus. but all in all for me the clean vocals ruining/improving a song has much to do with the genre and a song in question.
02.12.2010 - 23:35
JÄY
Metal slave
Back ups are imperative! especially live.......adds much more dimension
03.12.2010 - 06:16
freakymrq

Written by Guest on 02.12.2010 at 18:56

Written by freakymrq on 01.12.2010 at 01:55

well you mentioned only metalcore bands and having clean vocals is pretty much a habit in the genre. clean vocals in metalcore don't bother me that much but in other genres they really can ruin a song, for example Norther - Frozen Angel, the song is pretty tight until the shity chorus. but all in all for me the clean vocals ruining/improving a song has much to do with the genre and a song in question.

reason i list mainly metalcore and (A7X not metalcore) thats what i listen to and what i read comments on because i cant form opinions on songs and bands i dont know or listen to.
----
Life......
03.12.2010 - 13:55
theregnar
Account deleted
A7x were metalcore in their early days
05.12.2010 - 03:30
Richard

This thread seems to be appropriate for the General Metal forum, as it doesn't necessarily apply to a specific genre, so - moved.
----
05.12.2010 - 05:45
Brenocide

Well, since you mentioned As I Lay Dying and All That Remains, I'm assuming we're not really talking about 'backup vocals' in general, but about how clean vocals compliment the harsh vocals in that 'scream the verse, sing the chorus' way of doing things. I can't say I'm too huge of a fan myself. It's becoming sort of a tired formula. I do however, like it when a band mixes it up a bit with the song's progression like Wintersun, or Strapping Young Lad back when they were still together.

I also was pretty sure All That Remains' backup growler was their lead guitarist. Their bassist Jeanne, is a female, and a little chick at that. I doubt she has much bark to her.
23.12.2010 - 21:17
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
As long as it sounds good I really don't care. It'd be silly to say "I hate all backing vocals" or "I like all backing vocals". Some backing vocals sound awesome, but some sound stupid and shitty.
08.08.2011 - 15:30
Night Sight

Backup vocal only works with metalcore,melodeath
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
08.08.2011 - 19:32
fabregassed
Account deleted
Backup gang vocals are where its at. Especially for live songs.
08.08.2011 - 23:14
Void Eater
Account deleted
Jason Newsted's live backup vocals? Hell yeah. I don't see a problem with backup vocalists, as long as the backup vocalist doesn't such.
10.08.2011 - 02:09
WolfOfMetal456
Account deleted
Good backups: Exodus's Bonded By Blood
Bad backups: Iron Maiden's Die With Your Boots On. Sounds like something from the 60s.