08. The Sentinel [Judas Priest cover] [Special edition bonus]
09. Witch Hunt [Rush cover] [Special edition bonus]
10. Darkness Within [Acoustic version] [Special edition bonus]
+ The Making Of Unto The Locust [Documentary DVD] [Special edition bonus]

The best Thrash Metal album of 2011

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
I had big expectations for this album before the release but I must say I was a bit disappointed. After the 10 given by a famous musical entity I was expecting a mindblowing skull-crushing comeback album. Machine Head have been through a lot this last couple of years and most of that due to lack of direction in their musical style.

Read more ››
published 02.01.2012 | Comments (8)

Guest review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
When a band reaches the peak of their career, one of two options present themselves. They can either continue on the path of their career-peaking work, or try something new, in a different direction. In the latter case, more often than not, a shift in direction doesn't work out as well as the band planned. After Coma Of Souls, Kreator embarked on an experimentation with a more industrial sound, to a not-too-enthusiastic response from their fanbase. The same cases can be seen with Megadeth after Rust In Peace, Metallica after And Justice For All, and so on. The Blackening was (arguably) the peak album of Machine Head's career, and on the follow up, 2011's Unto The Locust, the band went with the second option: a change in sound. And while I wasn't expecting The Blackening, Volume 2, I must say that said sound change comes as a bit of a disappointment.

Read more ››
published 18.01.2012 | Comments (22)

Guest review by
Nemo Atkins
Rating:
Machine Head, the current band of former Vio-lence and Forbidden guitarist Robb Flynn, need no real introduction to most fans of thrash metal. Yet it is amazing how many people seem prepared to assume that all they've released that is worth listening to is Burn My Eyes/i] and/or The Blackening. I feel pretty differently: I honestly find Burn My Eyes unimpressive (admittedly, that may be due to me not being a fan of groove metal) and found The Blackening overly long, suffering from the usual problems I have with progressive music (namely, a fondness of writing unnecessarily long music that seems more intended to show off the musicians' skills rather than write something that an audience can enjoy listening to). I do not deny that they are good albums, merely that I do not agree when people refer to them as Machine Head's best albums. By contrast, I consider Unto The Locust to be their best album and one of the best albums of 2011: high praise indeed, considering it was an impulse buy for me for a band I'd never heard of.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2012 | Comments (3)

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
How do you follow up an album widely regarded as a watershed moment in metal? Simply put, you often can't; it will be buried under the weight of expectation put upon it. Overachievement can be a damning thing for an album, and that is no exception here. Machine Head try to carry the magic over from The Blackening with some minor variations to differentiate from it. A valiant effort, and one that if taken in isolation a success. Alas, with the shadow looming large over it, the die was cast before it had a chance.

Read more ››
published 18.04.2020 | Comments (0)

The songs are still too long at times, but the irressistible enegry that squirts from every note of this album is truly overwhelming. Machine Head have just released what could possibly be their best album since the classic Burn My Eyes.

Daniell's picks | More picks ››

Found in 74 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 90   Visited by: 1649 users
02.12.2010 - 19:13
neshter
Besiktas
1 year left
08.12.2010 - 23:43
Rating: 10
c.metallerstein

I can't wait that Much!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH
20.12.2010 - 17:43
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
Nearly 4 years since their last album..........whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...
can't wait any longer for this one.........
08.03.2011 - 16:12
Rating: 8
Sword_Chant

In my opinion, they'll struggle to top the last album. But you never know...
02.05.2011 - 15:14
Yowanowskeee

Can't fucking wait!!!!!!!!!
05.06.2011 - 12:52
John Shock

I'm scared...really...hope Machine Head doesn't sold out like many bands are doing right now! I hope really that they can do a follow up to The Blackening album...really hope so...but still remains the fear and i don't know why!!!
01.07.2011 - 02:00
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
I really hope it doesn't suffer post-masterpiece syndrome (not living up to the amazing album that came before it). Ehh, what am I saying... Rob won't disappoint
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
12.08.2011 - 17:22
Rating: 6
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Fucking cant wait man!!!
06.09.2011 - 20:57
Rating: 8
fiyaskoyum

Cant waaaaaaittttttt!!!!!! shit:D
16.09.2011 - 16:40
Yowanowskeee

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa fucking AMAZING ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAIL MACHINE FUCKING HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16.09.2011 - 23:15
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Listening to this, it sounds as if MH have tried to make an album of stadium singalong anthems... lol The raw rage of the early MH is almost completely abscent on the album, as it sounds mostly like a mixture of Gothenburg styled melodic death, and some metalcore. I'll listen to the album some more before giving a final verdict/rating, but on first impressions, it sounds like MH have sacrificed a lot of their fire for a far more melodic approach. Which being the case on every song, (as well as some of the melodies themselves sounding similar to each other) has the effect of making the album sound like MH-Lite... And the children's choir on "Who We Are" is truly cringeworthy. *shakes head*

Maybe repeated plays will yield more rewards, but I feel pretty confident to say right now, that the album is definitely weaker than "The Blackening" (And TTAOE too, not to mention the classic first 2 albums). Having only 7 tracks doesn't really help it's cause either. "Locust" is an amazing song though! xD
18.09.2011 - 21:25
John Shock

I don't know what's in everyone's head! ...i mean...of course Unto The Locust isn't "doubtly" The Blackening....what i'm trying to reach is that...everyone is expecting something better than Blackening but that's not gonna happen' ...so those guys who have expected that, are gonna ignore this one because Unto The Locust isn't The Blackening! I hate that! ...fuck, thats music, and this album is a living proof of what this guys can really do!
18.09.2011 - 22:58
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 18.09.2011 at 21:25

I don't know what's in everyone's head! ...i mean...of course Unto The Locust isn't "doubtly" The Blackening....what i'm trying to reach is that...everyone is expecting something better than Blackening but that's not gonna happen' ...so those guys who have expected that, are gonna ignore this one because Unto The Locust isn't The Blackening! I hate that! ...fuck, thats music, and this album is a living proof of what this guys can really do!

My issue with "Unto The Locust" isn't that it's different from "The Blackening", it's that the melodies on the album are all really similar to each other... (aside from the ones in "Locust") and the fact that they now sound like followers rather than leaders, by incorporating so many US metalcore influences into their sound. The musicianship and talent displayed on the album is undeniable, I just wish they hadn't sacrificed so much of their identity in their attempts to progress their music.

What made "The Blackening" such a joy was that they progressed whilst still keeping their identity. I've still only listened to the full album once, so maybe I haven't given it a proper chance, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not disappointed by it after the last album was so great. After the first listen, I thought "I Am Hell" was good, and "Locust" itself is a brilliant song, and definitely the stand out track on the album. I will give it a couple more listens before giving a final verdict, but I very much doubt that my intital opinion that it's a step down from "The Blackening" will change. The first 2 albums and "The Blackening" are still the best MH albums. I probably do prefer the new one over "Supercharger" though!
19.09.2011 - 01:40
Pedro Pereira

And a nice one came out....
19.09.2011 - 06:31
Rating: 9
Moose

Excellent album.
First listen I was also a bit worried about the 'anthem songs' feel about it, especially because the last song on the album and therefore the one that stuck in my head is "Who We Are".
...But besides that, the rest is pretty killer. Notably the first song, "I Am Hell" and of course "The Locust".
It did seem kinda short though. I guess in comparison to The Blackening. Another song or two would have been nice.
19.09.2011 - 15:27
X-FrEaK

I am no musician so normally I dont pay attention to this kind of details but one thing i noticed is that the riff from "Pearls Before the Swine" is the watered down version of At The Gates' Blinded by Fear.

Anyway the album is no Blackening but is a fine album.
----
19.09.2011 - 23:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Moose on 19.09.2011 at 06:31

Excellent album.
First listen I was also a bit worried about the 'anthem songs' feel about it, especially because the last song on the album and therefore the one that stuck in my head is "Who We Are".
...But besides that, the rest is pretty killer. Notably the first song, "I Am Hell" and of course "The Locust".
It did seem kinda short though. I guess in comparison to The Blackening. Another song or two would have been nice.

Well, I am going to give it another go, see if I feel any different about it after a second listen. Yep, only seven songs on the album does hurt it, especially when there's so many similarities between most of the tracks. Also, it's been 4 and a half years since "The Blackening", so for them to only have 7 new songs after all that time is disappointing.

It also doesn't help that the two bonus tracks (which are covers) are superior to most of the actual album... It's actually hard to imagine it's Robb actually singing those songs, cos his voice sounds so different! lol The cover of "The Sentinel" is awesome, although Id have preffered it if Robb had used his harsher vocals more in the song. xD The cover of "Witch Hunt" obviously suffers without the unique vocals and bass playing, but it was a brave choice for them to tackle a Rush song, and they did a decent job of it.
22.09.2011 - 20:31
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
Tomorrow this beast is gonna be released!!
23.09.2011 - 11:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've given the album another listen this time through headphones, and although maybe I was a bit overly harsh on the album when I first heard it, I still think it's a weak album compared to their best stuff. My overall thoughts are this:

High points: "I Am Hell", "Locust", and "Darkness Within" are very good songs.

The album mix is great! Adam Duce's bass is upfront in the mix without dominating, which definitely enhances the material.

The musicianship is impeccable, with fantastic guitar work, and an astounding performance by Dave McClain on drums.

Both of the cover versions are excellent, especially "The Sentinel". Rob and the boys would be proud! The acoustic version of "Darkness Within" is also great, maybe even better than the actual version.

Low points: "I Am Hell" could have been a truly classic song, but the mid section solo is far too short, which dilutes the impact that part of the song could have had. Also, the outro is screaming out for a classic guitar solo to be played over it, and for it to have a proper ending. The repeating guitar lead and fade out really fails to do the great rhythm part in the outro justice. While the song is good, it feels like a missed opportunity to make a truly amazing song, which it had the potential to be.

"Pearls Before Swine" features a riff that sounds very similar to the main melody in "Darkness Within". This is highlighted all the more by the two tracks being placed beside each other in the tracklisting. It also dilutes the impact of "Darkness Within" on the album, which is actually a great song. Pearls... is definitely a filler, and a filler on an album featuring 7 songs, well... lol

The children's "choir" in "Who We Are" sounds absolutely awful, and doesn't fit the song at all. This song is overall pretty great, but those annoying children's vocals brings it down a lot.

7 songs, with a lot of similar sounding melodies on the album. Had the album had another 3 songs, which were less melodic, would have made the album more well-rounded and complete. It would also have lessened the effect of the negative points of the album.

Overall, I'm still quite disappointed with the album, and while I think media wise it will probably get as much or even more praise than "The Blackening", imo, it definitely doesn't deserve it. There is some decent, even great moments, but they are few and far between, and on an album with only 7 songs, that's a huge black spot on the album. The album is not in the same league as BME, TMTC, or "The Blackening", nor does it dislodge "Supercharger" as the weakest MH album. So it's not one of MH's more notable albums, that's for sure... *shrugs*
23.09.2011 - 23:16
Bigpaul

Lots of melodeath influenced riffs on this one. A 7ish score for me I think. I wonder did they spend all of The Blackening tour listening to At The gates and Thin Lizzy on the tour bus?
23.09.2011 - 23:18
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
First listening... Not shure what to think.
Is it a good album? Yes
Better than The Blackening? Not shure

Time for the second spin of the disk
23.09.2011 - 23:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Better that the Blackening for sure since it is a lot more focussed. Problem reamins that their songs are still way too long. had they trimmed them of all the fat this one could have come close to the first two of theirs.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.09.2011 - 03:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Bigpaul on 23.09.2011 at 23:16
I wonder did they spend all of The Blackening tour listening to At The gates and Thin Lizzy on the tour bus?

Yep, one of the first thoughts I had when listening to the album, was that Jesper Stromblad had been spending his time since quitting In Flames, writing some riffs for Machine Head... There is a very strong Gothenburg infleunce on the album, that much is undeniable. The occasions on the album where it mixes well with the more bludgeoning classic MH style, it pays off in spades. The trouble is, it doesn't happen often enough on the album for it to build any real momentum.

But there is definitely signs that if they keep this style for the next album, and iron out the niggling flaws, then they could produce something really great with this new sound they're producing.

As for how I'll end up rating the album, I'm still not sure... probably somewhere between 7 and 8. It's definitely above average, but doesn't quite achieve the greatness that it could have had with the potential shown in a few of it's tracks.
27.09.2011 - 17:29
Baz Anderson

I'm listening to it now, and I really want to just turn it off... I guess it isn't my kind of thing any more.

EDIT: Ok, I pretty much skipped most of the last three tracks. Won't be listening to this again.
27.09.2011 - 18:28
Rating: 2
Malevolent-Jim

Probably the worst album I've heard all year. The middle and end of the album just consists of cringe-worthy drivel while the first half shows potential but ultimately proves to be simple generic thrash.
27.09.2011 - 18:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 27.09.2011 at 18:28
Probably the worst album I've heard all year.

I was kind of looking forward to hearing this soon...hopefully it isn't as bad for me as it was for you. Did you like their last album?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.09.2011 - 18:50
Rating: 2
Malevolent-Jim

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.09.2011 at 18:47

Written by Malevolent-Jim on 27.09.2011 at 18:28
Probably the worst album I've heard all year.

I was kind of looking forward to hearing this soon...hopefully it isn't as bad for me as it was for you. Did you like their last album?

The Blackening? Yeah I really liked it! It was a perfectly solid album but I just wasn't feeling this one at all. I would hardly think it's album of the decade though, as a lot of people seem to think but The Blackening was good. This is a bit different and I thought the first song had some cool parts but..for me, it slowly turned into crap. Maybe you'll like it more, but it left me cold.
27.09.2011 - 18:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 27.09.2011 at 18:50
I would hardly think it's album of the decade though, as a lot of people seem to think but The Blackening was good.

Don't even get me started on how overrated that album was when it was first released. But I agree that it's a good album, it's just a shame that they might not have continued in a good direction with UtL.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.09.2011 - 18:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Imo UtL is a lot stronger than The Blackening.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.09.2011 - 19:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.09.2011 at 18:55

Imo UtL is a lot stronger than The Blackening.

I myself don't agree, but what is about UTL that you feel is such a big improvement over the previous album?

And I'd agree with Troy that "The Blackening" was a bit overrated in the mainstream metal media when it was released, but it is a very good album still. (If not album of the decade! )

Hits total: 34450 | This month: 34