08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The Biggest Surprise Of 2011
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Written and produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Engineered by Jens Borgen.
Mastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road Studios.

"Slither" is a tribute to Ronnie James Dio.

Artwork by Travis Smith.

DVD contains a 5.1 mix of entire album, a "making of" documentary, and a card to download the bonus tracks Pyre and Face In The Snow.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Read more ››
published 20.09.2011 | Comments (134)

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Found in 84 lists
Top lists

Comments page 14 / 18

Comments: 520   Visited by: 3052 users
19.10.2011 - 17:23
Rating: 8
akvan
Written by Night Sight on 02.10.2011 at 20:02

I like this album.like most of opeth albums
i feel the dark,haxprocess,slither are my personal favorites

Exactly the same , but it's temporar, i had the same feeling about Watershed but now these days i listen to this album more, so i don't comment on this album till i understand it more . (maybe 10 years later )
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
20.10.2011 - 15:20
Vikingr
Written by Slayer666 on 30.09.2011 at 21:26

Written by dr.death on 30.09.2011 at 18:24

Written by EpicMayhem on 30.09.2011 at 17:36

I wonder is this will be one of those albums everyone doesn't like at first but in a couple years will be a masterpiece...

Of course. The initial reactions are worthless. The only people bitching are the ones that don't get it. They probably think bands like Gorgoroth and Enslaved are cool too even though neither one of them retains any musical merit whatsoever.

So you can see into the future? Awesome! Tell me, will I achieve my boyhood dream of becoming a fat, black woman?

P.S. Just in case you don't actually have the gift of prophecy, do try to stop yourself from handing out such retarded comments, please. Everything about your post screams that Akerfeldt is your wet dream.

Plus, c'mon man, I like enslaved I personally dig Blackwater Park way more than this album but that's just me:banger2:
20.10.2011 - 20:08
Rating: 6
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Grody2themax on 14.10.2011 at 08:18

Bottom line though, if you're feeling the music, it doesn't really matter how complicated or progressive it is.

The systematic qualities of music can certainly be *a* reason to like a certain kind of music, but if it's *the* reason you dig the jams, you're probably some kind of robot or something. D:
20.10.2011 - 22:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Vikingr on 20.10.2011 at 15:20
Plus, c'mon man, I like enslaved I personally dig Blackwater Park way more than this album but that's just me:banger2:

If you guys check his profile, he's been permabanned. Again.

/ ponderer
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.10.2011 - 14:49
Rating: 5
Slayer666
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.10.2011 at 22:50

If you guys check his profile, he's been permabanned. Again.

/ ponderer

Yeah, I got that when he mentioned Gorgoroth and Enslaved.
Just wanted to feed the troll-fire a bit more, I had hoped it would turn into another bitchfight which this thread desperately needs.
22.10.2011 - 02:24
ralph86
I think they went too far on this album. Watershed had the right balance...
25.10.2011 - 12:40
cancel
I wouldn''t say disappointing, but different. Yeah, I miss those legendary growls, but still - Michael is kickass musician and I like this progressive rock pick anyway.
29.10.2011 - 06:13
king_matt
Pretty solid album. Haxprocess is the best track on it.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
07.11.2011 - 16:57
Rating: 9
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I still feel that I need at least a couple more listens to appreciate all the tracks, but I can already tell that this album is my favourite.
Opeth show that they can be daring with their music. "Heritage" can be seen as a tribute to all that old prog rock bands Mikael finds insipiration in. Not to mention, subtle but quite obvious bows to Scott Walker's music (if you listened to "The Drift", that is). I, personally, see it as a welcome change of direction, if it can be called that (I mean, you can look at it as an evolution too, as many parts take us back to "Watershed").
To put some critical input too, I need to mention that some of guitar leads (Fredrik's, I reckon) sound a bit... random. The other thing that put me down a bit is Akerfeldt's vocals. No, I surely don't mean the absence of growls or vocal performance! But not one, and not even a couple of times I felt, as I listened to the record, that he could be a bit more diverse in that area instead of copying melodic lines played by instruments. But maybe it's just my personal problem.
To sum it all up, Opeth did it again. They never fail to meet my expectations.

P.S. My favourite tracks at the moment are: The Devil's Orchard, Folklore and Slither, which is an usual track for Opeth.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
21.11.2011 - 21:40
musicalkaratekid
I enjoyed this album, yet like the reviewee said, it lacks that extra 'edge' found most prominently on other opeth releases. Nonetheless, whether opeth continue in this direction or not,it doesn't matter. not anymore. Opeth are a band of their own now, they can do what the hell they want,without catering to anybody's needs. Theyve been doing that ever since they formed, but still, with opeth, its a free world.
23.11.2011 - 01:33
JimInFlames
What a magical album, indeed they never fail.
Favorite "The lines in my hand", with amazing innovate drums!
I don't have a problem with Mikael not growling, but I will if he wont at the next album....
----
Archaic pearls of sleep and death,
The voice of December losing its breath.
And the floweryard of white and gray is haunted,
Is haunted.
26.11.2011 - 15:50
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I listened to Heritage again yesterday, and, man, I love this album, I really do. It was a brave thing to write this music, and we will never please everybody. If Mikael wrote another Watershed or Ghost Reveries, maybe some people would like that, but I think many (those more familiar with the band) might regard that as "more of the same."

What is really brilliant about Heritage is that sounds like Opeth, but it does not sound like anything they have ever done. It does not sound wrong and it does not sound as if they had copied somebody's ideas (Mikael's 70's heroes). As he said in a recent interview, Heritage does not sound like anything; it reminds one of Opeth. That's it. This album needs time to comprehend: both the change itself and all the weird concoctions that one can hear on it.

Another thing is that the sound quality is just too darn good and the way the recording was done just speaks for itself. Then each member's performance is stellar. So it's the great Opeth that we know but with an original sound and ideas this time, and, man, maybe this time was the perfect time to release such kind of an album, and to tell you the truth, I would like to hear more of this in the future.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.12.2011 - 00:35
Rating: 10
Gumbert
Fuck 10
23.12.2011 - 06:07
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
This sounds like it should be sitting on one of those card-board displays in front of the register at Starbucks. Between the Norah Jones and Michael Buble CDs.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.12.2011 - 06:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 23.12.2011 at 06:07
This sounds like it should be sitting on one of those card-board displays in front of the register at Starbucks. Between the Norah Jones and Michael Buble CDs.

That should have been our official review. Just that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.01.2012 - 16:52
madrigal
Absolutely mighty !
22.01.2012 - 23:39
McheDayan
I don't understand why a lot of people have a problem with this album. Its not one you can listen to once and decide yay or nay, because its definitely more complex than that. If their sound stayed exactly the same album to album, there wouldn't be stellar albums like Blackwater park or Ghost Reveries or any of the albums that people generally peg as "Opeth". The change from Orchid and Morningrise to Watershed is epic... it was meant to be that way. Opeth has been on a constant quest of evolution from the norm, and has proven itself over and over again. Not bad for a band thats been around for over 15 years. Honestly I'm impressed with Heritage and I can find nothing wrong with it at all.
23.01.2012 - 14:48
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by McheDayan on 22.01.2012 at 23:39

I don't understand why a lot of people have a problem with this album. Its not one you can listen to once and decide yay or nay, because its definitely more complex than that. If their sound stayed exactly the same album to album, there wouldn't be stellar albums like Blackwater park or Ghost Reveries or any of the albums that people generally peg as "Opeth". The change from Orchid and Morningrise to Watershed is epic... it was meant to be that way. Opeth has been on a constant quest of evolution from the norm, and has proven itself over and over again. Not bad for a band thats been around for over 15 years. Honestly I'm impressed with Heritage and I can find nothing wrong with it at all.

The problem for some is not so much that it is different but that it is too different from previous releases. It simply strays too far from the comfort zones of some fans who want metal with their Opeth as opposed to Progressive Rock.

On the other hand some people just plain don't care for the music, regardless of what tags it falls under. It's not like all those who dislike this album are ignorant of everything that makes the music enjoyable for anyone else. That's what I don't understand, how can you not expect a mixed reception from an album as markedly different from Opeth's previous work as this?
07.02.2012 - 02:43
Bad, their worst by far
10.02.2012 - 21:58
Sentinel65
A very good album, even the bonus tracks are enjoyable. Does not contain the diversity of their older stuff, but still good.
29.02.2012 - 19:29
3rdWorld
China was a neat
And for the next record, Will they go to their other "roots" (death metal) back again or are they gonna tread in this newfound phase of mediocrity.
01.03.2012 - 19:22
Korah
Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 07.02.2012 at 02:43

Bad, their worst by far

It doesn't deserve a 1! You just killed the rating...
----
Don't cry for my English
01.03.2012 - 21:02
Pelagial
Ok this their worst album and a new style but that still be so perfect
22.03.2012 - 19:12
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted

Not unless someone has been messing with the shelving. I mean, an O-artist between a B-artist and and J-artist?
22.03.2012 - 22:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 22.03.2012 at 19:12

Not unless someone has been messing with the shelving. I mean, an O-artist between a B-artist and and J-artist?

It would fit considering how messy this album is.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.03.2012 - 10:06
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.03.2012 at 22:35

It would fit considering how messy this album is.

I know dozens of Buble fans and not one of them would have the patience to sit through and immerse themselves in "Marrow Of The Earth". Not a big fan of this album either, but the idea that it might appeal to fans of Buble is... not worth being called an "idea".
23.03.2012 - 15:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Aye, Buble > Opeth.
----
03.04.2012 - 16:08
Rating: 7
@gent_-_orange
I like Opeth and this album but If they are to continue in this direction ill probably lose interest in them. This album is quite good as a one off but I don't think they can continue their career doing this.
04.04.2012 - 18:48
Rating: 7
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by @gent_-_orange on 03.04.2012 at 16:08

I like Opeth and this album but If they are to continue in this direction ill probably lose interest in them. This album is quite good as a one off but I don't think they can continue their career doing this.

Yep, I agree. I don't want them to return to the "usual" Opeth either, but they should try to keep this direction on par with their metal roots.
13.04.2012 - 20:22
Vasil de Shumen
Avant-garde MASTERPIECE

Hits total: 82356 | This month: 86