Do you agree with such genre label?

Yep! I think it's correct...193
Whatever man... it doesn't really matter135
Nope, I think it's incorrect!!!87
I don't like it but it's ok!29

Total votes: 444

The original post

Posted by marinBG on 01.09.2006 at 21:39
I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom

Page 14 of 14

Zaphod
The Nothingth

26.08.2015 at 14:19
Back when I was getting into CoB people kept calling them melodic death metal so I started searching for "other melodic death metal bands" which resulted in me finding Amon Amarth, Carcass, etc. who all sounded nothing like CoB. Then another "melodic death metal band" came out called Wintersun. They were pretty much what I was looking for, but I thought they also had nothing in common with the other melodeath bands. Then I got into power metal which was much more compatible for me at the time, and I thought it had a lot more in common with CoB than any melodeath band I had listened to. Now, after discovering Metal Storm, I refer to these types of bands as extreme power, although usually I don't even bother with the "extreme" tag. It's power metal at its core. There are some harsh vocals thrown in and sometimes you hear a few seconds of blast beats, but other than that it's power metal through and through. It's especially clear when most of the people I know that are into Wintersun are also into Blind Guardian, Alestorm,... but not at all into melodic death metal.
----
There was no grand design
To get to this point
No absolutes, no given truths
We were not carved in stone
Ganondox

26.08.2015 at 14:27
Than just power metal would suffice, either way it hasn't established itself as being something sepperate. A band can fall fuse genres or otherwise fall under multiple genres without creating a new genre.
Ilham
Giant robot

26.08.2015 at 14:35
I don't understand the debate. Power metal does exist right, and the "extreme" some people put in front of it is just a descriptor to be able to distinguish between bands like Norther, COB, Wintersun, etc, and other bands that have a softer vocal delivery like Hammerfall and all that stuff. Saying bands like COB aren't power metal is using the vocals as the only determining factor for the genre.
Zaphod
The Nothingth

26.08.2015 at 14:59
Yeah, what Ilham said. The "extreme" tag is just to make it easy to distinguish between normal power metal and, well, more extreme versions of power metal.
----
To get to this point
Ganondox

27.08.2015 at 10:18
Written by Zaphod on 26.08.2015 at 14:59

Yeah, what Ilham said. The "extreme" tag is just to make it easy to distinguish between normal power metal and, well, more extreme versions of power metal.

And again, I'm not against calling it extreme power, I just don't consider it sepperate genre from either power metal or melodeath.
deadone
loins are moist

27.08.2015 at 11:05
Written by Ilham on 26.08.2015 at 14:35

I don't understand the debate. Power metal does exist right, and the "extreme" some people put in front of it is just a descriptor to be able to distinguish between bands like Norther, COB, Wintersun, etc, and other bands that have a softer vocal delivery like Hammerfall and all that stuff. Saying bands like COB aren't power metal is using the vocals as the only determining factor for the genre.

Mind you vocals can be critical in genre definition. Death metal wouldn't be death metal if a vocalist sounded like Michael Kiske from Helloween!

And the overlap with melodic death is huge - latest CoB album is quite conventional melodic death metal when it comes down to it. I'm happy with Marcel's definition whereby it's just another form of melodic death metal (and indeed I'm happy to expand melodic death to also include some stuff by more conventional death acts such as Dismember and Gorefest).

The other problem is power metal means something different to what it use to. It used to be more huge sounding speed metal and included some quite thrashy/groovy outfits like Iced Earth, Tad Morose, Blind Guardian and Angel Dust, as well as Helloween their more extreme moments (Better Than Raw) and even Nevermore got lumped in the genre at times. Today power metal seems to mean flowery buffoonery with vague connections to metal at worst or third rate Helloween clones (including current version of Helloween) also at worst. That whole period of innovation and heaviness in the 1990s has been forgotten.

And with flowery buffoonery infesting traditional heavy metal as well at times, the whole genre definition gets confused.
Zaphod
The Nothingth

27.08.2015 at 12:33
Written by Ganondox on 27.08.2015 at 10:18

And again, I'm not against calling it extreme power, I just don't consider it sepperate genre from either power metal or melodeath.

Sorry, I hadn't read most of the discussion before I posted, I just posted mainly in reply to the topic. I agree with you, I don't think it's a separate genre.
----
To get to this point

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14]

Login or register to post here.