Metal Storm logo
Does a genre called "Extreme Power Metal" really exist?

Poll

Do you agree with such genre label?

Yep! I think it's correct...
Whatever man... it doesn't really matter
Nope, I think it's incorrect!!!
I don't like it but it's ok!

Total votes: 463
01.09.2006 - 21:39
marinBG

I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
01.09.2006 - 21:50
Bas
Retired Staff
well Children Of Bodom IS powermetal, no matter what Laiho says, he is a musician, not a professional music critic, and musicians dont neccessarily have to know much music theory to be good musicians, and they dont at all have to be able to define metal genres to be good musicians

in fact there are lots of bands that dont know how to call their music, or call it something it isnt, for example Doomsword, who are epic doommetal, say that they are vikingmetal,

and no you cant compare children of bodom with manowar, but manowar isnt power either, but heavy
rather compare them to bands like Nightwish or Sonata Arctica (accept for the vocals of course) and you'll realize that sometimes the guitar and keyboard solos and riffs are quite simialar
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
01.09.2006 - 21:51
Endoftherainbow

It's all just subgenres and at the end of the day who really cares? I do think the genre exsists though because if you took out the extreme vocals of Bodom and added like Hansi Kursch instead it'd sound exactly like a power metal band only EXTREME. Although it is kind of wierd to put them with bands like Manowar but I still won't be loosing sleep over it because like I said in the end does it really matter it's all just metal and if you like you like if you don't you don't it's not like subgenres change the music at all.
01.09.2006 - 22:00
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
children of bodom don't sound like manowar? burzum don't sound like sadistik exekution.

the mystery of genres.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
01.09.2006 - 22:24
Baz Anderson

here we go again with blooming genré names and everything.
i never like to get into all of this sub-genrés of sub-genré names and all the rest of it, i think its just all a bit pointless

obviously some power metal bands are going to be more 'extreme' then others but surely we dont need another pideon-holeing genré name
01.09.2006 - 22:32
marinBG

Written by Bas on 01.09.2006 at 21:50

well Children Of Bodom IS powermetal, no matter what Laiho says, he is a musician, not a professional music critic, and musicians dont neccessarily have to know much music theory to be good musicians, and they dont at all have to be able to define metal genres to be good musicians

would you please name 5 professionl music critics that deal with metal?!? I can't cause there is no such thing... and even if you can, could you name at least one that says that Children Of Bodom are power metal... and I don't think even Nightwish are Power Metal you know...

I think there is something very basic to understand here... all that genre stuff is absolutly subjective and there is not a single trough answer and no scientific way to determine who is right or wrong... and I think the musician that created the music will ALWAYS know more about it than any music critic or journalist... and as a person that is aware of music theory, I can tell you that it has basicly nothing to do with this and it doesn't help much... so the genre definitions being subjective, I think the artist's opinion should be much more important that the opinion of some lame journalist that knows nothing anyway... and I don't think there are may professional metal journalists... all of them are quite the amatours, I think...
----
01.09.2006 - 22:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by marinBG on 01.09.2006 at 22:32

would you please name 5 professionl music critics that deal with metal?!? I can't cause there is no such thing... and even if you can, could you name at least one that says that Children Of Bodom are power metal... and I don't think even Nightwish are Power Metal you know...

OKay lemme see:

Metal Mike van Rijswijk
André Verhuysen
Martin Popoff
Götz Kuhnemund

it's not five but it is four that srpring to mind immediately and as far as I know they have ALL called CoB power metal and also Nightwish.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.09.2006 - 22:41
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yes, Extreme Power metal exists and there is one band that prooves it: Wintersun! Just listen to "Starchild", that is a real Power metal song ... just a little faster and sing with growl which IMO makes it extreme.
----
01.09.2006 - 23:10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, even though I do believe it exists, I don't really care what you call it. I mean, there are subgenres that differ MAJORLY, and if you called Black Metal Thrash, I'd be tempted to smack you. But extreme power metal? that's a Sub-genre of a sub-genre, that's just to much to worry about. Now if you really wanna define it, I'd say Dragonforce is a prime example, They're speedy, or EXTREME, and they have obvious power lyrics. But like I said, Who cares what you call them?
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
01.09.2006 - 23:39
Damnated
Churchburner
It is power metal, but calling it extreme is just stupid. They should call it the new wave of pwM or something like that.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.09.2006 - 00:56
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2006 at 22:40

OKay lemme see:

Metal Mike van Rijswijk
André Verhuysen
Martin Popoff
Götz Kuhnemund

it's not five but it is four that srpring to mind immediately and as far as I know they have ALL called CoB power metal and also Nightwish.

Cool, I guess they write to metal mags. I'm just curious what's the background of these guys, are they musicians, professional revievers...?

And yes, I agree wit the genres. The musician's own opinion is imo the last one to take seriously because they are the most subjective people when it comes to their music. Also many
02.09.2006 - 01:12
Bas
Retired Staff

I don't think even Nightwish are Power Metal you know...

I think there is something very basic to understand here... all that genre stuff is absolutly subjective and there is not a single trough answer

well they are powermetal, no matter if you agree with that or not,

and if you think that is the basic thing to understand you are all wrong, genres are NOT supposed to be subjective, they exist so that we can accurately describe a band, and that can be either done by writing a whole music technical essay, or using a few words everyone understands, genres, and those wouldnt make sense if they were subjective, they need to mean the same everywhere for everyone, otherwise they dont help at all, for example if i decide to call every single female fronted band gothicmetal, just because i find the word gothic fitting for female vocals then i will really confuse someone listening to (real)gothicmetal by saying "hey check those out, they are gothic" and in the end instead of winding up with something along the vein of paradise lost the other person ends up getting some grindcore band with a female singer, you get what i mean?
if everyone would just use genres like he/she wanted there would be an even bigger mess then if there were no genres at all

and since genres have a certain meaning and arent subjective, im absolutely sure that a metal critic who has studied all metal genres knows better how to categorize a musician who might not care about the theoretical aspect of metal at all, or in the case of CoB, just doesnt want to be called a certain style
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
02.09.2006 - 01:44
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by marinBG on 01.09.2006 at 21:39

I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom

*gasp* yes i read that exact same interview where Alexi Laiho said that! in some magazine.....ever since then, i thought that Alexi Laiho was a COMPLETE ASSHOLE! , i just wanted to cut him up and feed him to the fish! Really man. I mean what's wrong with being labelled Power Metal? It's good music! I mean take away the vocals ov Children Of Bodom, look me in my eye and tell me that they don't sound like a faster version of Sonata Arctica!!!! They are Power Metal! EXTREME Power Metal! That genre DOES exist, there's no use living in denial!
02.09.2006 - 02:08
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 02.09.2006 at 01:44

*gasp* yes i read that exact same interview where Alexi Laiho said that! in some magazine.....ever since then, i thought that Alexi Laiho was a COMPLETE ASSHOLE! , i just wanted to cut him up and feed him to the fish! Really man. I mean what's wrong with being labelled Power Metal? It's good music! I mean take away the vocals ov Children Of Bodom, look me in my eye and tell me that they don't sound like a faster version of Sonata Arctica!!!! They are Power Metal! EXTREME Power Metal! That genre DOES exist, there's no use living in denial!

well dude, while I can agree that Power metal is awsome, I'd even go as far as saying it's my favorite metal subgenre(Because you know it is ) But I have to say that bodom, even without the vocals, does not even touch power metal, sorry........
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.09.2006 - 02:51
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Arian Totalis on 02.09.2006 at 02:08

But I have to say that bodom, even without the vocals, does not even touch power metal, sorry........

What do you understand under 'power metal'
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
02.09.2006 - 03:14
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I think that the name is correct but there aren't many bands like that, the only ones I can consider extreme PM are: Bal-Sagoth and Children Of Bodom
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
02.09.2006 - 03:30
danzig111
Account deleted

well dude, while I can agree that Power metal is awsome, I'd even go as far as saying it's my favorite metal subgenre(Because you know it is ) But I have to say that bodom, even without the vocals, does not even touch power metal, sorry........

it doesn't touch melodic-death metal either though (too trebly and neo-classical influenced)
02.09.2006 - 04:14
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Damnated on 02.09.2006 at 02:51

But I have to say that bodom, even without the vocals, does not even touch power metal, sorry........

What do you understand under 'power metal'

Power metal Generally, First of all, has Lyrics which are normally fictionally oriented, that is to say, Subject matter which has dealings with knights in shining armor, Dragons, Goblins, orcs, Gods and Goddesses,heros and villians and mighty warriors come to slay the Deadly sinner. Also The Vocals tend to be Lighter, I.E.-Non Gutteral, but still powerful and commanding, Thus the word Power, Think like Hansi Kursh, Bruce Dickonson,
or James Labrie Kind of Voices.

next, the Guitars are often Harmonic with one another and tend to particapate in duel leads,(that's what I really love about it)

The rythym sections tend to varry greatly from band to band, Iced earth in comparrison to maiden is quite drastic as far as the rythym section, but in any case, that's what I see as power.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.09.2006 - 04:17
marinBG

Written by Bas on 02.09.2006 at 01:12

genres are NOT supposed to be subjective

yeah yeah... genres are SUPPOSED to be clear, but in many situations they aren't... and there are many bands that cannot fall into a genre exactly... and with them it is exactly subjective... and in the second we disagree on if children of bodom should be part of power metal or of death metal (I belive the second), it IS subjective because there is no hard evidence or data and even a 100 page of "technological essay", will still be based mainly on opinions and fellings... and if there is some data (like tempo, scales, chord progression and so on) it's interpretation, which will be the thing that would matter the most, is actually nothing more than a personal oppinion... and as much as people can tell me that Children Of Bodom play the same music as Sonata Arctica, but faster (whilch be wrong imo), I can tell them that Children Of Bodom play the same music as In Flames, but with keyboards... but I think there are more clear things that show what Children Of Bodom do not belong to the power metal genre...
1st) I don't think most of the usual power metal fans like Children Of Bodom and especially the growling vocals and I don't think many Children Of Bodom fans like power metal
2st) If Children Of Bodom are part of the power metal scene, why they tour more often with melodic death metal bands?
3st) Even tought I rarely care about vocals, but you cannot have people only singing clearly and only growling in the same genre... it just doesn't fit, I think and it makes things too vague to follow

I have to make something very clear... I don't want to split the Power Metal Genre... I just want to take out of it the bands that do not belong there... may be there is such a genre... and for me personally the discution is very shifted to the qestion if Children Of Bodom belong in it or if they don't... and if you think they do, please listen to their songs Every Time I Die, In Your Face and Sixpounder and think again... but maybe that should be the subject of another topic... *i'm wainting for some mod advice here if to start one or not *

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.09.2006 at 22:40

OKay lemme see:

Metal Mike van Rijswijk
André Verhuysen
Martin Popoff
Götz Kuhnemund

I bet it's not even their fulltime job... whatever... and I bet not more than one of them can actually play a musical instrument... if they could, they would be in a band themselves... but whatever, may be i'm wrong...
but i'm really interested, what gives acreditation to those guys to be always right?!? and is that possible... and how exactly are they able to make a better judgement than me and you for example (the common dudes)... I personally belive they are for sure nothing more that normal guys that understand as little as we do, that can write (maybe) and somehow started writing somewhere...

*gasp* yes i read that exact same interview where Alexi Laiho said that! in some magazine.....ever since then, i thought that Alexi Laiho was a COMPLETE ASSHOLE! , i just wanted to cut him up and feed him to the fish!

well, reading this complitly moronic and disrespectful comment made me feel exactly the same way about you
----
02.09.2006 - 05:11
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
It exists, and it's quite simple: Power metal with harsh vocals and agresive, dark lyrics.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
02.09.2006 - 09:00
Dark Lunacy
Account deleted
I think it exists, i really like them. Good band.
02.09.2006 - 11:46
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Please keep this thread polite, its no bashing thread, or this thread will be closed and warnings will fly around.
02.09.2006 - 12:35
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Arian Totalis on 02.09.2006 at 04:14

Power metal Generally, First of all, has Lyrics which are normally fictionally oriented, that is to say, Subject matter which has dealings with knights in shining armor, Dragons, Goblins, orcs, Gods and Goddesses,heros and villians and mighty warriors come to slay the Deadly sinner. Also The Vocals tend to be Lighter, I.E.-Non Gutteral, but still powerful and commanding, Thus the word Power, Think like Hansi Kursh, Bruce Dickonson,

Genres are NOT defined by lyrics. Nor styles of singing.

next, the Guitars are often Harmonic with one another and tend to particapate in duel leads,(that's what I really love about it)

This can be aplied to several metal styles.Dual leads are frequent in power metal, that's true.

The rythym sections tend to varry greatly from band to band, Iced earth in comparrison to maiden is quite drastic as far as the rythym section, but in any case, that's what I see as power.

Again, this is not a genre trademark.

From this post it seems, that you can't define what power metal is, thus, you can't say bodom does not even touch power metal, because you don't know what IS power metal.
----

02.09.2006 - 13:08
marinBG

well, I made my conclusion from this thread... and I think the poll results are pretty straight foreward to interpretet... the sub genre of power metal extreeme power metal really exists.... but I still belive that Children Of Bodom do not belong in this category... some time later I will probably start a tread specificly for defining Children Of Bodom's style, which I think actually varies from album to album a bit...
----
02.09.2006 - 13:31
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Damnated on 02.09.2006 at 12:35

This can be aplied to several metal styles.Dual leads are frequent in power metal, that's true.

Again, this is not a genre trademark.

From this post it seems, that you can't define what power metal is, thus, you can't say bodom does not even touch power metal, because you don't know what IS power metal.

I'm sorry, but this is what I see it as, and it pretty much is the truth if you ever really listen to power metal, Go listen to blind Guardian or Iced earth right now, I dare you.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.09.2006 - 13:37
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Arian Totalis on 02.09.2006 at 13:31

I'm sorry, but this is what I see it as, and it pretty much is the truth if you ever really listen to power metal, Go listen to blind Guardian or Iced earth right now, I dare you.

I say shut up. Just because BG plays power metal, and their lyrics are fantasy themed, this doesn't mean that the genre is defined by fantasy themed lyrics. But you can't see the forest from the trees, and don't know a thing about what you listen. End of discussion.
----

02.09.2006 - 15:56
danzig111
Account deleted
@marinBG: *rolls eyes* .....oh like Alexi's comment wasn't moronic and disrespectful?! The guy's like, "all that castles, dragons and swords shit, i want no part of that!" he was dissing out an entire genre which is unprofessional! So don't get all defensive and arrogant with me just because i dissed Laiho! Cuz if you read the same interview as me, then you must agree that what he said was not the right thing to say! Pssst, he was probably drunk as shit anyway!
02.09.2006 - 16:04
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Haha that's just silly! Damnated is right, no style of metal is bound to a certain lyrical theme. Wow, imagine if that were the case! Quite a few Power Metal bands do speak of fantasy themes, but of course not all do. Not every Black Metal band worships Satan, etc. *Shakes head and laughs*

Anyway, back on topic...

I do believe Extreme Power Metal exists. Or Power/Death Metal as some people call it. Children Of Bodom also falls under that catagory. What other style could they fall under? Lots of solos and Power-like guitars/keyboards, melodies, etc. plus they have that extreme edge to them. Extreme Power Metal seems quite sensible. It's no different to saying Melodic Death Metal is or isn't a style if you think about it!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
02.09.2006 - 18:06
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Damnated on 02.09.2006 at 13:37

Written by Arian Totalis on 02.09.2006 at 13:31

I say shut up. Just because BG plays power metal, and their lyrics are fantasy themed, this doesn't mean that the genre is defined by fantasy themed lyrics. But you can't see the forest from the trees, and don't know a thing about what you listen. End of discussion.

tsk tsk....was I so rude as to blatently tell you to shut up? no. If we're going to disscuss this, then let's actually disscuss it. Not get angry and tell each other to shut up, if you don't want to talk about it, just tell me
and I'll respectfully back off.

But back to the subject of power metal, Just look at bands Like Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Dragonforce, 3 inches of blood, etc, the list goes on and on, they all have similar vocal styles and lyrics, and it's not true that a genre isn't defined by lyrics or vocal quality, I mean, it's not ALWAYS about the vocals or lyrics, but sometimes it does truly help to define a genre. Look at Death Metal, Part of what makes Death Metal what it is is the characteristic death screach, with dark disruptive lyrics. Now Death metal has other things which make it Death(Like Blastbeats), But the vocal and lyrical type is what helps to define it as the subgenre it is, and Power Metal is No Different.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.09.2006 - 18:57
Draklar
Account deleted

CoB without the vocals is basically like the rest of Finnish power metal scene, sometimes also tending towards bands like Dragonforce.

Written by Damnated on 02.09.2006 at 12:35

Lyrics, no. But vocal is just another instrument and saying it doesn't matter how you use it is same as saying it doesn't matter how you play the guitar.