Metal Storm logo
Does a genre called "Extreme Power Metal" really exist?

Original post

Posted by marinBG, 01.09.2006 - 21:39
I don't know whe ever tought of that name at all... and the strangest thing is when I see that Children Of Bodom are listed like that... quite frankly it pisses me off quite a lot!
and the most annoying thing is that I've read for example Alexi Laiho say that it doesn't matter how that style of the band is reffered to by people no matter if they say black, death or whatever kind of metal AS LONG AS IT'S NOT POWER METAL! And I really don't think that Children Of Bodom and Manowar for example should be both counted in the same cathegory... and I don't really think that the word "extreeme" changes so much... and I don't think it's the same style at all... for me the two styles have nothing in common...
and I think it is alfully rude and wrong to try to push a genre name to people that even the bands that are supposed to be in do not agree with... for me the most important opinion about stuff like that is the one of the people who create the music... there for if a band does not consider themselves something, you don't have the right to tell them what kind of music they play... especially when the bands is not made from complete retards...
I think people here should drop this gender name and go with melodic death metal or something... or finnish melodic death metal... or in other cases with Gothenburg Metal or something... But for me Extreeme Power Metal is comlitly incorrect... especially for Children Of Bodom

Poll

Do you agree with such genre label?

Yep! I think it's correct...
Whatever man... it doesn't really matter
Nope, I think it's incorrect!!!
I don't like it but it's ok!

Total votes: 463
18.06.2009 - 16:17
Andresopeth

Written by Deadmeat on 18.06.2009 at 16:09

Written by Andresopeth on 18.06.2009 at 16:07

Written by Deadmeat on 17.06.2009 at 21:48

Written by Andresopeth on 17.06.2009 at 21:42

What is the problem of name in the things you listen to?, i mean, why is weird to someone that there's a genre called "Brutal Melodic Folk Metal" but there's normal another one called "Melodic Death Metal", the main issue should be if you like or you do not like the music, who cares how people clasify it??????, who cares which name people put on it????. Music is what it is, it is described itself and is the only thing we can be sure of, in my personal though, i don't care how it is called by others

hasn't ever someone asked you what style of music you prefer????

Yes, and when someone aske me that i answer with the names of the bands i like the most. Names of genre are subjective, would someone explain why a genre is called "Brutal" or "Death" or "Black", they're just names which is most important is music itsel, i don't care about how people call what i listen to.

every band you like has elements from those music styles. they can have the elements of 1 music style or of 10 mixed.. but the music styles exist...

Of course they exist, but if a band, for example, plays "Death Metal", and suddenly they play a song with "Melodic" stuffs then everyone says is "Melodic Death Metal", and what happen if they mix 10 diferent elements?, so they genre would be the names of those 10?, or even worse, what if they play two songs with 10 elements mixed, then 2 songs with 8 and 5 with just one? then you will have to classify every song?, man that's insane!
18.06.2009 - 16:24
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Andresopeth on 18.06.2009 at 16:17

Of course they exist, but if a band, for example, plays "Death Metal", and suddenly they play a song with "Melodic" stuffs then everyone says is "Melodic Death Metal", and what happen if they mix 10 diferent elements?, so they genre would be the names of those 10?, or even worse, what if they play two songs with 10 elements mixed, then 2 songs with 8 and 5 with just one? then you will have to classify every song?, man that's insane!

surely man. you are right on that. everyone who wants to categorize a band tells the most usual style-styles they play...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
14.07.2009 - 18:15
statiusmetal
Account deleted
If you look at the music some of it is definitely power metal based and the vocals come from the extreme genres so yes i agree that extreme power metal does exist
09.08.2009 - 15:50
loudandheavy
Account deleted
Every single day people mix metal genres,i agree with andresopeth. you just cant to rename every genre and every band that makes a new song with new elements.that's what people like to do and i sure not agree with that. i will give you an example: listen to the soilwork's album stabbing the drama and you have melodic musics like stabbing the drama or nerve and you have one music called blind eye halo that is much heavier than the others,what do you call it?super death thrash speed metal?lol. don't concern about give names to the genres and bands just listen to them
12.10.2009 - 07:49
Lachy
Account deleted
Children of bodom are more of a melo death band than a power band but they do have some aspects of power metal so why not call it power death metal or some shit like that. I dont much care for classifications though if it sounds good its good (except for metalcore which is the worlds worst music)!!
12.10.2009 - 08:11
thesabbathfan

At the end of the argument road.... who cares?
----
16.11.2009 - 13:47
Metalbound7

Just call it Melodic Death Metal
16.11.2009 - 23:03
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Deadmeat on 18.06.2009 at 16:24

Written by Andresopeth on 18.06.2009 at 16:17

surely man. you are right on that. everyone who wants to categorize a band tells the most usual style-styles they play...

There's also the very useful "Avantgarde Metal" subgenre, when you don't have the slightest idea what genre a band plays ^^

And about the thread's main subject, I think Extreme Power Metal is a good "definition name", but it should have it's own name. Extreme Power metal sounds too much like it was a subgenre of Power Metal, but in reality, it's more a meloblack or melodeath subgenre. The question is: is it a melodic kind of extreme metal or an extreme kind of melodic metal? Eternal Tears Of Sorrow has some tracks that can hardly be called extreme, for instance.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
17.11.2009 - 09:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Metalbound7 on 16.11.2009 at 13:47

Yep, that's pretty much what I was thinking! I think Nevermore is about as close as you'd get to a band being "extreme power metal". They have Warrel Dane, who is an awesome singer, and could easily be in a regular power metal band. There's also a lot of melody in their stuff. But there's some riffs bordering on death metal too. I've heard some referring to Nevermore as power metal, but I really don't think they are. Though Warrel's voice definitely gives them an edge of power metal. They are hard to classify, as they pretty much sit on the boundary inbetween power and melodic death metal.
17.11.2009 - 10:34
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.11.2009 at 09:34

Written by Metalbound7 on 16.11.2009 at 13:47

Yep, that's pretty much what I was thinking! I think Nevermore is about as close as you'd get to a band being "extreme power metal". They have Warrel Dane, who is an awesome singer, and could easily be in a regular power metal band. There's also a lot of melody in their stuff. But there's some riffs bordering on death metal too. I've heard some referring to Nevermore as power metal, but I really don't think they are. Though Warrel's voice definitely gives them an edge of power metal. They are hard to classify, as they pretty much sit on the boundary inbetween power and melodic death metal.

I would personally classify Nevermore as a strange brand of Melodic Thrash. They kick alot of ass and are pretty obscure, but if I were to label them I think that's about as close I can get.

But I wouldn't neceserrily call Extreme Power Metal the same as Melo-death. I mean, I've heard people call bodom Melodic-DM before but musically they sound closer to power metal. Some of their riffs are heavy, sure, but most of what would make people call them that is the fact that Alexi uses harsh vocals *shrug* so what, they're still not DM. I think "extreme power metal" is more suiting
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.11.2009 - 17:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Arian Totalis on 17.11.2009 at 10:34
I would personally classify Nevermore as a strange brand of Melodic Thrash. They kick alot of ass and are pretty obscure, but if I were to label them I think that's about as close I can get.

But I wouldn't neceserrily call Extreme Power Metal the same as Melo-death. I mean, I've heard people call bodom Melodic-DM before but musically they sound closer to power metal. Some of their riffs are heavy, sure, but most of what would make people call them that is the fact that Alexi uses harsh vocals *shrug* so what, they're still not DM. I think "extreme power metal" is more suiting

I think they are closer to death metal than thrash metal, but they are really hard to categories. I do hate labels anyway, there's just good metal and bad metal to me. I think the harsh vocals are the main reason COB are called melodic death metal, and I think if Nevermore had a harsh/brutal vocalist, they would be called melodic death metal. I would class COB as melodic death metal, though they are quite power metallish, especially the keyboards!
03.04.2010 - 03:13
thedreamwalker

The fact is that the bands define the genre, not the other way around. If you try to make a band based on a genre, you just get generic crap. If you make music the way you want to hear it, and it's good, then keep doing that until some geek on the internet (like us) or some journalist coins a new name for it. Like when that writer used the phrase "heavy metal" to describe JIMI HENDRIX!!!! Do any of the bands listed in this whole forum sound like Jimi? NO! Are they still metal? See where I'm going with this?
----
The rarer action is in virtue than in vengeance.
13.04.2010 - 18:03
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Yeah, I wouldn't call COB a death metal band either. I just put them down as "Extreme metal" on my playlist.

Written by thedreamwalker on 03.04.2010 at 03:13

Like when that writer used the phrase "heavy metal" to describe JIMI HENDRIX!!!! Do any of the bands listed in this whole forum sound like Jimi? NO! Are they still metal? See where I'm going with this?

Well back in the day some people would call Jimi Hendrix and even other bands like Aerosmith heavy metal. Hard-rock and heavy metal were synonymous, but with heavy metal becoming more and more of a different genre of music not too many people would these days.
21.10.2011 - 11:42
Milena
gloom cookie
I think both Children of Bodom and Dark Tranquillity sound like death metal would with lots of added melody, but in different ways. Sure, you could claim Children Of Bodom is extreme melodic (see what I did there?) thrashy heavy blabla with neoclassical influences, or you could just say how it sounds like and what they aimed for. I don't think their influence was power metal or that they tried to add extreme elements to power metal to create their music. And people who say it sounds like Stratovarius obviously haven't heard Stratovarius in their lives. Same goes for all the other bands influenced by CoB.

Their music is weird - it appears to be extreme and in its heart is not. But in its heart is certainly not power metal.

I think this division was brought to us by the death metal purists who don't want to have 'gay bands' like CoB anywhere near their music.

BUT. THERE ARE bands which sound like (symphonic) power with added extreme vocals, like the last two of EToS or Euphoreon.
----
7.0 means the album is good
23.10.2011 - 22:12
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Shadowcross on 17.06.2009 at 17:17

Completely disagree. At the heart of the music it isn't power metal - it is death metal.
The only similarities are melodic solos.
People also say that Dragonforce is 'extreme power' yet this would place them alongside Kalmah, Wintersun etc. If you put growling vocals on Dragonforce it wouldn't fit, I can assure you.

Even though I disagree it is a common term and nothing can change that now.

I would like to point out that Dragonforce already uses growling vocals. While they are not very pronounced, you can hear them on the Inhuman Rampage album as backing vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUNW7R6sTw&feature=related Listen carefully at 1:13 or so when the vocal line "cry out for the fallen heroes" is sung. Hear the screams?
27.10.2011 - 07:46
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I usually read Extreme Power Metal as being Melodic Death Metal with Power Metal keyboards, like Children Of Bodom or Eternal Tears Of Sorrow. But both genre's are poorly defined so they could go either way. Don't think Dragonforce should be there though.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
08.10.2012 - 00:21
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Only if you want it to exist.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.10.2012 - 09:42
Patrick.

I always thought Extreme Power Metal was a genre for those bands who basically played Power Metal with Death vocals and such. If it's the speed of the music that lands Dragonforce into that genre, shouldn't they rather be called Melodic Speed Metal instead? Personally I think of them as Power Metal. Yes they're fast, but that doesn't make their music any more extreme does it? I mean, for metal to be extreme it either must be pretty brutal or very scattered genre-wise right? I usually just divide Metal as a whole into two basic categories: Melodic and Brutal.

EDIT: I see M C Vice already brought it up a couple of posts above.
26.11.2012 - 05:09
nasmith

Written by Shadowcross on 17.06.2009 at 17:17

People also say that Dragonforce is 'extreme power' yet this would place them alongside Kalmah, Wintersun etc. If you put growling vocals on Dragonforce it wouldn't fit, I can assure you.

I know, Dragonforce is as far from extreme metal as anything. Their music is way too happy sounding to be extreme in anything besides speed.
20.08.2015 - 15:30
Corandy

Children of Bodom have much changed through the years, numbers like 'If you want peace, prepare for war' and some other songs on AYDY album are a fine example of not Power Metal songs. There is a keyboard in it and some riffs of Power Metal, but still it has more Melodic Death Metal vibe for me. I can agree that Follow the Reaper is Extreme Power Metal, but I still prefer to think that they are melodic death metal, because of the combination of the low key grooves, Gottenburg metal riffs and growls etc.

BTW i find arguments of both sides very interesting
25.08.2015 - 08:28
Ganondox

Pretty sure this would just be some melodeath. Not a sepperate genre in it's own right, but the description works.
25.08.2015 - 15:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ganondox on 25.08.2015 at 08:28

Pretty sure this would just be some melodeath. Not a sepperate genre in it's own right, but the description works.

Except that extreme power metal such as Children Of Bodom has nothing to do with melodeath musically, whatsoever. Tuning, riffing etc. are all totally different.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.08.2015 - 23:05
Risto
Wandering Midget

Now tell me that extreme power metal isn't a real genre.
26.08.2015 - 13:37
Ganondox

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.08.2015 at 15:21

Written by Ganondox on 25.08.2015 at 08:28

Except that extreme power metal such as Children Of Bodom has nothing to do with melodeath musically, whatsoever. Tuning, riffing etc. are all totally different.

But everyone calls Children of Bodom melodeath, so thus they are melodeath. It seems all people really care about is it's got screamed vocals, melodic riffs and harmonic solos, and apparently isn't metalcore, or something like that. If it's blackened power or power/thrash it wouldn't be melodeath, but otherwise extreme power would most likely be death + power, which is close enough to Gothenburg's death + traditional that it would still fall under the scope of melodeath. The exact tuning or riffing style doesn't really matter in the big picture.

Also not all of CoB's albums show as much power metal influence.
26.08.2015 - 13:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ganondox on 26.08.2015 at 13:37

But everyone calls Children of Bodom melodeath, so thus they are melodeath.

Wrong sort of reasoning. If everyone calls Children Of Bodom black metal (which Alexi actually used to do) they are still not black metal. Except for the rougher vocals (which aren't even death metal style grunts or screams) they have nothing, whatsoever to do with melodic death metal. They have most in common with power metal, albeit a more extreme version of it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2015 - 13:50
Ganondox

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.08.2015 at 13:43

Written by Ganondox on 26.08.2015 at 13:37

But everyone calls Children of Bodom melodeath, so thus they are melodeath.

Wrong sort of reasoning. If everyone calls Children Of Bodom black metal (which Alexi actually used to do) they are still not black metal. Except for the rougher vocals (which aren't even death metal style grunts or screams) they have nothing, whatsoever to do with melodic death metal. They have most in common with power metal, albeit a more extreme version of it.

Added more to the post, but for that point, it's because genres aren't rigorously defined that Children of Bodom can be absorbed. It's not that a bad label is stuck to CoB (like trying to call them black metal), it's that the scope of melodeath expands into previously uncharted territory to include bands like Children of Bodom. The ultimate fact is the words only mean how they are used, and that includes genres.

I do agree that extreme power metal would be a more accurate or at least precise description of most of Children of Bodom's work, but I wouldn't consider extreme power metal to be significiant and distinct enough to be a genre of it's own.
26.08.2015 - 14:19
Zap
Back when I was getting into CoB people kept calling them melodic death metal so I started searching for "other melodic death metal bands" which resulted in me finding Amon Amarth, Carcass, etc. who all sounded nothing like CoB. Then another "melodic death metal band" came out called Wintersun. They were pretty much what I was looking for, but I thought they also had nothing in common with the other melodeath bands. Then I got into power metal which was much more compatible for me at the time, and I thought it had a lot more in common with CoB than any melodeath band I had listened to. Now, after discovering Metal Storm, I refer to these types of bands as extreme power, although usually I don't even bother with the "extreme" tag. It's power metal at its core. There are some harsh vocals thrown in and sometimes you hear a few seconds of blast beats, but other than that it's power metal through and through. It's especially clear when most of the people I know that are into Wintersun are also into Blind Guardian, Alestorm,... but not at all into melodic death metal.
26.08.2015 - 14:27
Ganondox

Than just power metal would suffice, either way it hasn't established itself as being something sepperate. A band can fall fuse genres or otherwise fall under multiple genres without creating a new genre.
26.08.2015 - 14:35
Ilham
Giant robot
I don't understand the debate. Power metal does exist right, and the "extreme" some people put in front of it is just a descriptor to be able to distinguish between bands like Norther, COB, Wintersun, etc, and other bands that have a softer vocal delivery like Hammerfall and all that stuff. Saying bands like COB aren't power metal is using the vocals as the only determining factor for the genre.
26.08.2015 - 14:59
Zap
Yeah, what Ilham said. The "extreme" tag is just to make it easy to distinguish between normal power metal and, well, more extreme versions of power metal.