05. Marionette
06. The Road Less Travelled
07. The Anger And The Silent Remorse
08. Watcher
09. 21
10. Worlds Apart
11. The Last Haven (Outro)
12. Echoes

Triosphere's The Road Less Travelled has done what few of even my most respected releases have succeeded in, as it has walked up to my so often numb and indifferent heart, turned it around, and stepped right on in like it had the key the entire time. Decisive in its immersion in raw energy, The Road Less Travelled is not only a muse to reaching new heights with its plethora of inspired melodies, but also acts like an intellectual tailwind that never leaves me, keeping my mind strong and focused.

Just as humanity seems content with gambling with itself and its future, Triosphere is bent on kicking over that table. Penned by lead and rhythm guitarist Marius Silver Bergesen, at only two tracks deep we are already offered numerous solos, the invigorating drum tempos of Ørjan Aare Jørgensen, and tightly wound riffs within a fist of progressive-tinged power metal. After a blistering introduction in "Ignition," "Driven" announces itself as uninterested in saving nothing of our current state, with the enthusiasm of a runner cresting over the most difficult incline of the competition, ready to leave the past in the dust. Already awash in a professional production as well as a warm mix and mastering job by Tommy Hansen, The Road Less Travelled not only establishes itself seriously, but also leaves its heart open, willing let its personal and thrilling side show through clearly.

"Welcome To The Human Condition." When vocalist/bassist Ida Haukland spoke this line to open up "Human Condition," it was the first indication that I was listening to an album that was going to affect me well into the future. Atop a pensive group of chords, her voice has that ideal amount of rasp to it, offering a restrained wail, and shows she is fully comfortable with her innate ability and tone. With lyrics reflecting a self-created, toxic human environment that's only a sanctuary for those already with a grave, Ida's voice gives us a weathered quality of someone who is not just an onlooker, but someone who has lived the pain, the frustration, and has the burning desire to act.

Marius gives us several more exciting solos intermixed with T.O. Byberg's rhythm section in tracks like "Death Of Jane Doe" and "Watcher," songs that act like bookends to what I feel is the emotional core of The Road Less Travelled. Turning inward to that devastating portion of one's development in which personal realizations, struggles, and a consequential rediscovered fire inside take precedence, the tempo slows down a bit, giving the guitars a chance to reach a powerful level of clarity and deliberate melodies. "Marionettes" is that song that makes me pause along my journey, as Ida's explosive cries reverberate the emotional scale, signifying the point the individual no longer will be society's toy but instead will walk on its own. Ida's whisper of the word "dance" after the moment of silence at the finish of Marius's beautifully pensive solo here haunts me successively more each listen. Follow this up with the title track's rousing vocal arrangements that may be the catchiest part of the album, then the thoughtful, cello-driven buildup of "The Anger And The Silent Remorse" into a massive climax as she sings "I can't take anymore," and I found myself so worked up from tears intertwined with a galvanized determination that it took me several listens just focus on the rest of the album.

Finish out the album with not only a progressive-minded guitar instrumental, but then a reflective instrumental of piano and cello redeveloping the major melodies of the entire album, and Triosphere complete what at first seemed a familiar concept of progressive and power metal and turned it into one that takes us from the inner chaos of our human world to an visionary place of new beginnings and thoughts. Marius proves himself a composer and guitarist of absorbing depth, and Ida taps straight into the inner fire inside my mind and being, so much so that I feel gained just that needed extra connection to make my journey on that rarely traversed path all the worthwhile.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 08.12.2010 by Music and the written word are two of my passions in life, so I figured, why not combine the two?

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 229 users
08.12.2010 - 09:02
Susan
Smeghead
Sweet. I have this album on order and am SO excited for it to arrive. You describe the music so beautifully!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.12.2010 - 15:27
nb

Awesome review, you just got me interested in this album and band, I will check them out.
08.12.2010 - 18:54
Rating: 9
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written with elegance once again. need to check this out
----
loves 小巫
09.12.2010 - 09:15
bluegreengod
Account deleted
I got this album recently. It's really, really good. I don't really see what's very prog or power about these guys...I'd say it's more just nice, straight forward, raw (yet well produced) metal with a few nice melodies thrown around here and there. Great review also! While TRLT failed to reach me on such an emotional level, it certainly makes for a great listen the first time around and seems to get better each time I hear it.
10.12.2010 - 18:48
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Hey, you did not mention how many good riffs there are in this album lol
I know you mentioned her vocals are a bit on the raspy side, but the "Progressive Power" tag made me think of nightwish-vocal-driven stuff
----
loves 小巫
11.12.2010 - 00:32
Rating: 10
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Ag Fox on 10.12.2010 at 18:48

I know you mentioned her vocals are a bit on the raspy side, but the "Progressive Power" tag made me think of nightwish-vocal-driven stuff

Well, about the numerous superb riffs from Marius and T.O., I have to leave a bit of a surprise to the album because who wants spoilers anyway!? I'd love it if some others got as much out of the album as I do, and I think there has to be some level of self-discovery to get that thrill too Regarding the vocals, I'm not sure why prog/power would make you think of operatic vocals, but believe me, I'd have mentioned they were that style in the review (and that Nightwish aren't prog/power to begin with so...). But I hope that Ida's vocals were a pleasant surprise then for you, they are an integral part of what makes the album so great.

Written by Guest on 09.12.2010 at 09:15

I got this album recently. It's really, really good. I don't really see what's very prog or power about these guys...I'd say it's more just nice, straight forward, raw (yet well produced) metal with a few nice melodies thrown around here and there. Great review also! While TRLT failed to reach me on such an emotional level, it certainly makes for a great listen the first time around and seems to get better each time I hear it.

Yes, I'm with you that first and foremost this is a melodic metal album - but that's too vague and I feel there's enough of the band's unique take on progressive and power to add it to a description. (we also don't have a "melodic metal" genre specifically for MS, so I try to align some things in that sense). I definitely did not want to spend too much time defining Triosphere's genre, that'd be such a waste of great review space I'm really pleased you enjoy it a lot too, I hope more people follow our leads in giving it a listen.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
11.12.2010 - 04:04
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Jason W. on 11.12.2010 at 00:32

Written by Ag Fox on 10.12.2010 at 18:48

Well, about the numerous superb riffs from Marius and T.O., I have to leave a bit of a surprise to the album because who wants spoilers anyway!? I'd love it if some others got as much out of the album as I do, and I think there has to be some level of self-discovery to get that thrill too Regarding the vocals, I'm not sure why prog/power would make you think of operatic vocals, but believe me, I'd have mentioned they were that style in the review (and that Nightwish aren't prog/power to begin with so...). But I hope that Ida's vocals were a pleasant surprise then for you, they are an integral part of what makes the album so great.
okay, nightwish was a bad example, though they are certainly Power with Symphonic stuff in (and The Poet and the Pendulum is Prog imo ), point being most Prog Power bands have pretty clean vocals while Ida's is more Heavy or have a certain Hard Rock edge to it. But yes, I fully agree with you that's an integral part of making this album special. Thanks for the self discovery bit and it certainly worked in terms of pleasantly surprising me haha. When I read the review, I was already intrigued, but when the riffs came, it hit right at my face lol
----
loves 小巫
10.04.2011 - 22:34
Rating: 8
Milena
gloom cookie
You really, really, make me add albums on my 'check out' list by your reviews
----
7.0 means the album is good
11.05.2011 - 21:28
Milena
gloom cookie
And now I did listen to it. Prog + power + vocals in style of Bonnie Tyler. Awesomeness
----
11.05.2011 - 21:40
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Milena on 11.05.2011 at 21:28

And now I did listen to it. Prog + power + vocals in style of Bonnie Tyler. Awesomeness

Great to have another fan of this album! Thanks so much for the compliment on the review as well
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
11.05.2011 - 21:46
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Jason W. on 11.05.2011 at 21:40

Written by Milena on 11.05.2011 at 21:28

Great to have another fan of this album! Thanks so much for the compliment on the review as well

No problem dude, you really, really nail reviews. Guess this is a bit off-topic, but I guess you like to write other stuff in your free time as well-am I right?
----
11.05.2011 - 22:41
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Milena on 11.05.2011 at 21:46

Guess this is a bit off-topic, but I guess you like to write other stuff in your free time as well-am I right?

Yes, lots of things that never really are finished Poetry, & letters are my usual suspects, but emotion-driven essays are something I've tried out recently and like (but never finished either of course ).
----
12.05.2011 - 10:00
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Jason W. on 11.05.2011 at 22:41

Written by Milena on 11.05.2011 at 21:46

Guess this is a bit off-topic, but I guess you like to write other stuff in your free time as well-am I right?

Yes, lots of things that never really are finished Poetry, & letters are my usual suspects, but emotion-driven essays are something I've tried out recently and like (but never finished either of course ).

I knew it keep up the good work I guess
----
14.08.2011 - 12:22
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This one never get's old, excellent review for a sorely overlooked piece of driving progressive power metal.

Hits total: 7944 | This month: 13