Metal Storm logo
1991 "Clash Of The Titans" Tour- Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth

Original post

Posted by animal, 02.09.2006 - 22:40
I saw this tour with Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer down at the Prairie Capital Convention Center in June 1991 with Alice In Chains opening- right before they hit it big. After Alice's set got done, I actually saw Layne Staley walking around in the audience during intermission. Did anyone else here see that tour?
27.06.2009 - 22:27
_Phoenix_
Account deleted
I saw this tour in June of '91 @ Pine Know Music Theater in Clarkston (Detroit) MI. Alice In Chains opened. I thought they sounded very good but their show was kind of tame...I remember being surprised at the time with how much the crowd was into them (with it being a thrash concert and all). over the years I have seen people say that @ other shows on this tour the crowd wasn't into alice at all but they were here...slayer played next and the place went wild as soon as they struck the first note of hell awaits-no one waited even until the song kicked in and started thrashing...next up was anthrax who put on a great show-I thought they were the best live act even though I like slayer's music more, megadeth closed out the show and I didn't think they were as good as slayer and anthrax but overall it was a great show! there was more security there than I have ever seen at any show before or since.

Last year I saw Death Angel live twice, once in Flint, MI and once in Detroit, MI and they are an exellent live act! these guys are still very young looking and with the way they dress they look like they just stepped in out of 1990! if they had been able to open the titans show instead of alice in chains it would have been awsome!!
03.07.2009 - 01:18
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Saw the show too... Alpine Valley: East Troy, Wisconsin

What I remember is how loud Slayer was. Some peeps in the crowd actually wore earplugs!
----
rekt
03.07.2009 - 01:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by tea[m]ster on 03.07.2009 at 01:18

Some peeps in the crowd actually wore earplugs!

Nothing wrong with wearing earplugs, it's actually a very very wise thing to do, also at open air gigs. But we back in the day just did't realise that and thought it was uncool. Oh, how us no earplug wearing people have come to regret that.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.07.2009 - 20:59
Valentin B
Iconoclast

Saw the show too... Alpine Valley: East Troy, Wisconsin

What I remember is how loud Slayer was. Some peeps in the crowd actually wore earplugs!

:

at least those "Peeps" don't have Tinnitus(look it up if you don't know what it is)
11.09.2009 - 23:02
Thulsa Doom
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 09.07.2009 at 20:59
at least those "Peeps" don't have Tinnitus(look it up if you don't know what it is)

What?
11.09.2009 - 23:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 11.09.2009 at 23:02

Written by Valentin B on 09.07.2009 at 20:59

What?

that guy underestimated the use of earplugs(as in, calls other people names because of it), but he ignores that some of us(including, i believe, me) are predisposed to a form of ear condition called Tinnitus which is basically a constant squeaky sound you hear in your ears all the time, and as Tinnitus worsens, the sound gets louder and more painful, and of course most of the times it's caused by extremely loud concerts.

i thought someone who knew the Riddle Of Steel could figure that out on his own
13.09.2009 - 00:26
distorted rage

Saw this tour at the Houston Summit, folks were screaming "Slaaayer" the whole AIC set. They were really good though. The thing that was cool about this show was the way the 3 "Titans" rotated their slot each show. The Houston show had Megadeth-Slayer-then Anthrax closing. Megadeth closed with 'Anarchy...' and the people started ripping up the temporary seats on the floor and passing them over the crowd.

One flashbuld memory I have of the show was Doug Pinnick of King's X walking around the floor with his full mohawk that he had at the time.

One of the best shows ever!

----
'We entered Winter once again...The sun sets forever over Blackwater park'
17.09.2009 - 18:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 20.03.2008 at 08:46

Yes, I was there, I must've been 2 or 3 years old. The moshpit was awesome, I can't remember it that much because I was really drunk.

On a serious note, that tour is legendary. Too bad the chances of there being another one is next to impossible. Who headlined, Slayer or Megadeth?

there are rumors of a tour with the big 4, Lars Ulrich is trying to put it together, and Mustaine, Shawn Drover(Deth's drummer) and Rob Trujillo are all talking about it, saying it should be awesome etc.

if such a tour happens i'll fly to the ends of europe just to see it.
21.09.2009 - 22:17
Thulsa Doom
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 11.09.2009 at 23:28

LOL! That was a poorly executed "hearing loss" joke on my part.

Kinda like when Mrs. Doom has to repeat something multiple times and I still have no idea what she said, and then she gets frustrated and yells, "ARE YOU DEAF?!?" and I hold one hand up to my ear and ask, "What?!?"

*sigh* good times.
21.09.2009 - 22:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 21.09.2009 at 22:17

Written by Valentin B on 11.09.2009 at 23:28

LOL! That was a poorly executed "hearing loss" joke on my part.

Kinda like when Mrs. Doom has to repeat something multiple times and I still have no idea what she said, and then she gets frustrated and yells, "ARE YOU DEAF?!?" and I hold one hand up to my ear and ask, "What?!?"

*sigh* good times.

hahahaha

would you attend a Big Four tour concert if it happened?
21.09.2009 - 22:27
Thulsa Doom
Account deleted
Absolutely. I'd have to kick my own ass on general principle if I missed it!!!
28.11.2009 - 21:50
Vanessa O.

I saw this tour at Madison Square Garden. I forget what order the bands played in. Slayer was the heaviest. They were the best of the three. People were ripping seat cushons out and throwing them around. Tom Araya scolded the audience for that. It was hilarious. Anthrax was good, but they spent too much time with "I'm The Man", "Bring the Noise". Flava Flav came on stage with them at the NY Show, and they got away from the metal for a while. I remember being annoyed that they didn't play too much from P.O.T., which was new at the time, and IMHO, their best album. Megadeth played a solid set, the Megadeth lineup on that tour played flawlessly. They were really tight. AIC sounded good, but weren't too lively. They were a weird fit on that bill.
23.07.2010 - 16:28
robmakesmusic

I saw this tour here in Vancouver at the Pacific Coliseum back in '91 and yeah, legendary event for sure. Interesting that AIC was received differently in different cities. Although I became a big fan later, thanks mostly to Dirt and then going back to Facelift, I am guilty of helping boo them offstage as their sound wasn't something I was expecting or used to and, of course, we were all busy tearing up row upon row of floor seats the foolish organizers had put in place and piling them all up as if in preparation for a giant bonfire. Thankfully, no one brought matches

I have tinnitus. It sucks. I wear earplugs to ALL gigs now. I see people proudly taking their 8 year old kids to concerts with no hearing protection and I cringe for them. If ya love yer metal and wanna enjoy it until your dying days, prtek dem ears boys n' girls!
23.07.2010 - 16:38
DoommooD

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.07.2009 at 01:31
Some peeps in the crowd actually wore earplugs!
Nothing wrong with wearing earplugs, it's actually a very very wise thing to do, also at open air gigs. But we back in the day just did't realise that and thought it was uncool. Oh, how us no earplug wearing people have come to regret that.
word! yep, earplugs are good. oh being young and dumb as most of us were is priceless. oh by the way, taking on earplug and cutting it in half is great. now you have to halfers and it provides pertection and a much better clear almost natural sound. anyway, i did see clash/titans in 91 in san diego,ca. chains opened, anthrax next, then megadeth and slayer closed the night. that concert ruled, so much fun!
27.04.2011 - 22:38
Ghostdancer

I saw it in Phoenix. The order that night night was Alice in Chains, Anthrax, Megadeth & Slayer. It was a great show. I remember passing the restrooms and all the guys in there were chanting "Slayer" and getting louder and louder until security booted them out. When Slayer hit the stage all hell broke loose. My brother and I ducked down in our seats while people went over our backs to rush the floor. I saw one security guy trying to hold back a wall of drunk Slayer fanatics...hahaha...he disappeared somewhere in the crowd...he didn't really have a chance. God that was a great show! We lived pretty far away from the coliseum, but there were still metalheads shouting "SLAYER!" in our neighborhood two hours after the show. We were yelling it too...
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
05.05.2011 - 01:29
ADIresiduos

Ooh man, that was a good one!! I saw them in San Antonio, Tx and it was AWESOME!!..... Laney Staley was moshing in the pit with all of us!! it was a great show, man... good memories...
17.03.2014 - 16:43
DarkRiffs

Was looking up past dates on this tour because I was watching one from Texas on da tube and stumbled on this. I was at the one in Forrest Lake Minnesota, was an outdoor show, I remember it was hot that day 90 plus. The cool thing about this place was, it had showers running alkl over the place right in the field, you could just stand there for a minute and cool off. I remember getting there when AIC was on, and had no idea at the time it was a rotating show, I was sure Slayer would go on late. I have afresh beer in my hand, I hear the album version intro for Hell Awaits I'm like hell no, drank as much of my beer as I could and tossed it in the air as I bolted toward the pit area. Megadeth went 2nd, Anthrax headlined that day, and by that time the pit area was a dust bowl just getting kicked up from the pit, had mud on my teeth. Wound up getting a Scotty Not pick, was just there in front of me in the pit, red pick with a pentagram and his name on the backside. Was one of the most memorable shows ever, just epic!