Metal Storm logo
Sonisphere UK - The Big Four Confirmed

So yeah, last week we all had a good chuckle at Sonisphere UK's expense when they proudly announced that, uhm, what's-the-name-again will headline on Saturday. But now the organization has revealed the first part of the line-up for Friday: The Big Four.

Yes, it's really true. Sonisphere will be bringing together Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax in the UK for the first time in history to exclusively headline the Friday night at Knebworth.

Last summer saw the live debut of The Big Four kick up a storm at several European Sonispheres, marking what was hailed as "the most significant event in the history of metal" at the time. Such was the demand that a live cinecast of the Bulgarian show saw over 130,000 people turn out to local cinemas, with reports of mosh pits breaking out in movie theatres. The recently released DVD of the event, which features all four bands collaborating on a cover of Diamond Head's "Am I Evil" as well as their individual sets, has only added fuel to the BIG 4 fire, with a frenzied demand for more performances in the countries not fortunate enough to play host last summer.

"Always excited to do big 4 shows", says Slayer's Kerry King, "Now England is in line to be devastated by this heavy metal powerhouse! Can't Fucking wait!!!"

Megadeth mainman Dave Mustaine states: "The Big Four Concerts are the most important, most exciting event to happen in the history of live concerts in our genre, and perhaps the entire music industry. I am glad to be a part of this enormous celebration of thrash, speed, and good ole heavy metal!"

"OH YEAH!!!" proclaims Anthrax drummer Charlie Benante. "Here we Come England! The Big 4 BABY! Can't wait to Get Metal Thrashing Mad for you Thrashers!"

Anthrax bandmate, guitarist Scott Ian concurs: "Merry early Xmas present for us... more BIG 4 shows!!! The shows we did together with our brothers in Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth were not only the high point of 2010, but also some of the best shows Anthrax have ever played. Getting to share this with our friends in the UK will be amazing".

Metallica was quoted saying: "Hanging with Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer last summer was just too much fun, so here we are doing the Big 4 shenanigans again and this will be the first time that we will all be on the same stage in the U.K."

Source: uk.sonispherefestivals.com
Event: Sonisphere Festival
Posted: 14.12.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 16   Visited by: 132 users
14.12.2010 - 01:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Oooh epic. i hope that means more big 4 concerts in Europe, i'd definitely go see them again.
14.12.2010 - 02:05
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
What a comeback!
Well, played Sonisphere, well played.
14.12.2010 - 02:11
Neuroku

Nevermind
14.12.2010 - 03:28
JÄY
Metal slave
More like "the big 1" and 3 others... as per this poster
14.12.2010 - 04:04
SlaytanicGonzo

Written by JÄY on 14.12.2010 at 03:28

Yeah, I hate this. And it's even more obvious on the DVD. I wish they would treat the four bands as equal.
14.12.2010 - 04:05
FRIENDSHIP

You have me mad, sir! I also dislike this lack of parity.
...Or at least they could have Slayer first...
----
Keeping up the killing,

Dylan
14.12.2010 - 05:35
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 14.12.2010 at 04:04

Yeah, I hate this. And it's even more obvious on the DVD. I wish they would treat the four bands as equal.
oh well... money talks...

I bet Sonisphere announced the whats-his-name-again bloke first just to mess everyone up haha
----
loves 小巫
14.12.2010 - 06:40
bluegreengod
Account deleted
**yaaaawn** wake me up when this show is over...Slayer's always pretty good though.
14.12.2010 - 10:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
First day "the big four", second day "omg pop-punk band" and third day even more "omg band"...strange
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.12.2010 - 12:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Valentin B on 14.12.2010 at 01:35

Oooh epic. i hope that means more big 4 concerts in Europe, i'd definitely go see them again.

Me too! There will be a Sonisphere in Lisbon this year, so that will be awesome with the Big Four.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.12.2010 - 19:11
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
On one hand, this is a pretty big grab for them. on the other - well, it's 2010, not 1990. or even 2000.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.12.2010 - 21:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by FRIENDSHIP on 14.12.2010 at 04:05

Why? Just because you prefer them?
Metallica are infinitely bigger than the other three so it's only logical they are the true headliner, plus the fact they alway play at least two hours whereas Slayer has a max of 70 minutes. And Slayer live nowadays is pretty dire and uninspired
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.12.2010 - 00:19
Kingface

Hope Day Tickets become available. "The Big 4" are four of my favourite bands and the idea of seeing them all perform back to back is naturally very appealing to me, but unless there's some great further bands announced I'm not paying £150 + to go the whole weekend.
15.12.2010 - 14:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.12.2010 at 21:34

Metallica are infinitely bigger than the other three so it's only logical they are the true headliner, plus the fact they alway play at least two hours whereas Slayer has a max of 70 minutes. And Slayer live nowadays is pretty dire and uninspired

i agree with that. plus, Metallica change the setlist around quite a lot in their concerts, unlike Slayer who play more or less the same songs.

i would actually say that if there's any band that is unjustly low in the running order, it would be Anthrax as they are better than Megadeth and Slayer live, but not as good as Metallica (the only thing that kinda spoils a Metallica show is Lars' embarassing and overamplified bass drums, and the enormous mass of clueless posers they attract, but that's not really their fault). but then again anyway it's only normal that they play in order of popularity.

returning to Metallica, FFS they even played FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE and i was too cramped and tired to thrash around because of the oblivious "cool guys who went to the Metallica concert".
15.12.2010 - 14:37
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.12.2010 at 21:34

They're the most famous band but also the shittiest since the 90s.

Anyway, all those bands are dead for me. I don't understand why people still care for old has-been bands who are only the pale shadow of their former self nowadays because they're simply too old and should have called a quit long ago. Imo, it's a demonstration of what happens when nostalgia is pushed to a point it becomes laughable.
Listening to their old albums? Ok for me.
But seeing those old men live on stage? No thanks. I can spare the view.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.12.2010 - 15:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by RavenKing on 15.12.2010 at 14:37

They're the most famous band but also the shittiest since the 90s.

Anyway, all those bands are dead for me. I don't understand why people still care for old has-been bands who are only the pale shadow of their former self nowadays because they're simply too old and should have called a quit long ago. Imo, it's a demonstration of what happens when nostalgia is pushed to a point it becomes laughable.
Listening to their old albums? Ok for me.
But seeing those old men live on stage? No thanks. I can spare the view.

i wouldn't go that far, but i say that calling it "the most significant event in the history of metal" is a stupid overstatement, and simply a piece of marketing bullshit. as for them nowadays, i can safely say i like old bands when they play nowadays rather than the 80s recordings (i feel kinda forced to like them after all, they're not getting any younger) because of the far better sound quality, and in some cases the improved vocals, though i do agree Tom Araya and Joey Belladona have lost their voices over the years.

Hits total: 3234 | This month: 24