06. Requiem
07. The Apostle In Triumph
08. Into The Frost Of Winter [re-release bonus]

Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Unisound Recordings.
Produced by Opeth.
Engineered by Dan Swanö.
Mixed and produced by Opeth & Dan Swanö.
Photos by Torbjorn Ekebacke.
Layout by Opeth and Torbjorn Ekebacke.

Due to a mastering error half of "Requiem", the track had been cut off and joined with the "The Apostle In Triumph".

Re-released in 2003 as part of a limited edition tin box.

The original Century Media pressing in the US had the band logo printed on the cover.

Released by Candlelight as a double LP picture disc, limited to 2000 copies.

Guest review by
Kap'N Korrupt
Rating:
Opeth's debut album Orchid released in 1995 is a keeper. It isn't mentioned much by Opeth fans but it is certainly a lost treasure. New fans will stray from the album as more reviewers simply write the album off as being 'brutal' and 'sloppy' or 'solid death metal' as what I have read. The thing is that Orchid is just as diverse as Blackwater Park or their latest release, Ghost Reveries. Presented in Orchid is what will become of Opeth on a grand scale: brutal, melodic, acoustic, alternative, emotional and heartfelt by placing melodic death metal alongside acoustic and clean electric guitar rock.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2006 | Comments (33)

Found in 46 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 42   Visited by: 1537 users
15.12.2010 - 01:29
Rating: 8
Deathcycle
Truly an underrated classic...
21.05.2011 - 15:09
Rating: 6
Jeeers
Truly boring album.
27.05.2011 - 01:56
SATANSCHAMBER666
Account deleted
Brilliant Album
05.07.2011 - 14:22
Rating: 10
Metal_4Ever
Masterpiece.. \oo/
23.11.2011 - 19:59
Rating: 7
Regolith
Although a loose and experimental sounding album Orchid is definately Opeth. Being a drummer I can't help but say that the lack of creative drum parts takes a tic off the rating, but the overall feel is still an Opthian atmosphere. 'Forest of October' is my personal favorite.
28.12.2011 - 04:01
ThunderAxe1989
Account deleted
One of my alltime favourites of Opeth's!
16.01.2012 - 22:26
musicalkaratekid
Very underrated, but at the same time i can understand why. 'Under the weeping moon' and 'The twilight is my robe', whilst both seemingly well structured songs, falter because of their length:the mid-section of the former becomes too repetitive , whereas the first and last part of the same song is incredible. The latter starts off boring, but eventually becomes a great song in its own right. Apart from that, this album is solid, just as the rest of the band's discography.
03.02.2012 - 17:35
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Best opeth album
01.03.2012 - 20:54
Pelagial
Very good start for this band
04.03.2012 - 21:37
Korah
One of the best debut album ever with no contest.
----
Don't cry for my English
10.06.2012 - 01:16
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Very good album and for a debut album, it already showed a young band with much to offer to the metal world.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
10.06.2012 - 18:16
Illog1cal
Account deleted
They were young and in-experienced at the time. Its a solid effort though and it shows that they knew what they were doing, however from the listeners perspective its not that interesting, I was almost falling asleep for some of it.
09.11.2012 - 22:15
Rating: 9
Erik M.
Brilliant album. One of their best albums for sure (check out my list if you're interested). Despite the relatively bad production, it remains a masterpiece.
16.11.2012 - 14:55
Rating: 6
Kuroboshi
I agree with Illog1cal. It's schizophrenic.

And, it's such a shame with The Apostle in Triumph... For me, it's the best song of the album, but it could have been so much more killer! I mean, that outstanding intro (!) just fades out and is totally forgotten...
04.03.2013 - 13:37
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Kuroboshi on 16.11.2012 at 14:55

I agree with Illog1cal. It's schizophrenic.

And, it's such a shame with The Apostle in Triumph... For me, it's the best song of the album, but it could have been so much more killer! I mean, that outstanding intro (!) just fades out and is totally forgotten...

"Due to a mastering error half of "Requiem" track had been cut off and joined with the "The Apostle In Triumph""

I'm not sure what the source of that is from, but if you look up at the album info, you can see what I just quoted.

So really, The Apostle In Triumph is supposed to start at about the 1:30 mark, not before. Someone fucked up real bad.
----
09.05.2013 - 19:34
Dzidziafon
Nice debut album but... tunes are too long and lack of ideas. Much form, less content.
23.07.2013 - 17:53
Vasil de Shumen
Written by Dzidziafon on 09.05.2013 at 19:34

...tunes are too long and lack of ideas. Much form, less content.

I disagree.
This record is a masterpiece and vastly better than most of Opeth albums (except "Morningrise" and "Blackwater Park"). I think the songs are perfectly composed and brilliant recorded (Dan Swanö is genial sound engineer). For me "Orchid" and "Morningrise" are really albums on a band, while the other records sounding like a solo projects by Mikael (especially after 2002).
23.07.2013 - 18:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Can't say I agree with any of that tbh. The only albums that give me any "solo" feeling is probably Damnationa nd the latest. That's not an issue though as long as the music is good (which can't be said about Heritage). About this record, it's good... But everything from Morningrise up to and including Blackwater Park you tramps over it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.07.2013 - 18:41
Vasil de Shumen
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.07.2013 at 18:08

Can't say I agree with any of that tbh. The only albums that give me any "solo" feeling is probably Damnationa nd the latest. That's not an issue though as long as the music is good (which can't be said about Heritage). About this record, it's good... But everything from Morningrise up to and including Blackwater Park you tramps over it.

I said: "sounding like a solo projects by Mikael (especially after 2002)"

When I listen to "Ghost Reveries", "Watershed" and "Heritage", I really have a feeling that Mikael is composer on 80% of the music, while the other musicians seems to be limited to carrying out his ideas.
16.10.2013 - 13:18
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Listening to this again and it's not how I remember it at all. It seems far more progressive than my initial impression led me to believe...good stuff
31.03.2014 - 23:00
The Hammer33
The Apostle in Triumph is one of my favourite Opeth tracks' (and they are my favourite band). I can listen to that song over and over all day...
02.05.2014 - 22:46
Sang Dalang Abu
OPETH-Orchid. Well I love all tracks
01.03.2015 - 14:46
metalfan1999
Epic!
04.03.2015 - 22:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Funny but in some way band started as Swedish death metal but never recordet anything
Try Into The Frost Of Winter [2000 and 2003 re-release bonus] sounds as DM to me

Mind-blowing band 1th song, 1th rhythm , 1th tune and I am blown away, I was and I will be ''In Mist She Was Standing''
Great song, great album, I almost forgot how great this band once was , not only musically, but all around the band, lyrics, atmosphere and so on ... if Mikael Åkerfelt would not joun, this band might be one of forgotten death metal bands from Stockholm, but it took it in progressive way , well I know, we all who has listened this band from a till z know it, each album is more less ''progressive'' what means softer
I like those heavy parts mix what acoustic and clean cam vocal singing --- Still Life, Backwater Park ... in some way its sorrows
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.03.2016 - 16:48
panoskiosses
How many versions came out in this album on vinyl ?
19.04.2017 - 23:26
Redel
Masterpiece. One of their best albums.
I can enjoy all songs here.
And every minute of each track is totally justified.
The twilight is my robe is the killer track for me.
03.12.2017 - 05:33
el_Lillo
More "melodic" than "progressive," I would say. But that's not something bad at all (I think I couldn't say something bad about Opeth). It showcases a primitive form of the style they would develop and refine on next releases, and that's why I wouldn't call it a materpiece but a cornerstone. Really impressive for a debut, though.
14.04.2018 - 20:30
One of the best debut albums of any band IMO.
02.06.2019 - 00:25
Jack_Torrance
Such an underrated album, one of their best.
15.04.2020 - 18:13
musclassia
Staff
Listened to this in the first time in probably 5 years, if not more, today. Overall, it's still too rough around the edges compositionally to appeal to me in the way that Still Life-Ghost Reveries period does, or even Morningrise, but Forest of October's pretty special. Stands out by a mile here for me

Hits total: 28088 | This month: 86