07. Hallways Of The Always
08. Cypress
09. Gods Of Love & Suicide
10. Cheval Noir
11. Gossamer [demo]
12. Merrimack [demo]
13. Beneath The Toxic Jungle [demo]
14. Filled With Secrets [demo]

About a year ago I reviewed the debut album from Brooklyn's Tombs. Winter Hours was a pretty cool album mixing elements of sludge and black metal into a nice, dense, oppressive sonic slab.

Tombs is back a year later with Fear Is The Weapon, a compilation presumably to tide us over until their sophomore full-length. This release, limited to 1,000 copies, contains the tracks of their initial self-titled EP, their split with Planks, as well as some demo versions of songs that ended up on Winter Hours.

So what's it sound like? It sounds like more of the same, truth be told. If you liked Winter Hours, you'll definitely enjoy this release. The band itself sound darker, bleaker, murkier, and even more raw than they did on their nice "metal major" album release.

The songs are varied. Some are more direct - shredding with tremolo black metal stylings or pummeling with sludge-hammer blunt force trauma. However, other tracks also reveal willingness to explore other avenues of maintaining the murk.

The instrumental "Marina" adopts an almost industrial-ambient approach to bleakness, whereas "Course Of Empire" sees a Godflesh influence with the ringing out of guitar tones, vocal delivery, and song flow. "Cheval Noir" sees haunting female spoken and sung vocals to retain the stark, unflinching atmosphere.

So while the band excels at their own version of blackened sludge, they also show the ability to write good material in other directions to help keep things interesting.

And while you might think that songs representing three separate releases might sound disjointed, the overall flow is actually pretty good. This album goes to show that the urban jungle can be every bit as harsh, cold, and unfeeling as any forest after dark.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written on 17.12.2010 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 40 users
22.12.2010 - 18:19
oroboros

Thanks man, another good sludge find for me this year.
22.12.2010 - 18:22
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by oroboros on 22.12.2010 at 18:19

you can actually thank Relapse. they had me review this, the prior Tombs release,and Dukotalon. i feel fortunate that 4 of the 5 Relapse releases i've reviewed are cool enough i either bought them or want to.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.12.2010 - 18:51
oroboros

Written by BitterCOld on 22.12.2010 at 18:22

Written by oroboros on 22.12.2010 at 18:19

you can actually thank Relapse. they had me review this, the prior Tombs release,and Dukotalon. i feel fortunate that 4 of the 5 Relapse releases i've reviewed are cool enough i either bought them or want to.

oh yeah, Dukatalon, probably the best debut album of the year for me along with Kvelertak. Btw, could you tell me which were the other 2 albums from relapse you liked?
22.12.2010 - 19:09
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by oroboros on 22.12.2010 at 18:51

oh yeah, Dukatalon, probably the best debut album of the year for me along with Kvelertak. Btw, could you tell me which were the other 2 albums from relapse you liked?

The four i liked:

Tombs - Fear Is The Weapon
Tombs - Winter Hours
Dukatalon - Have a Beer with FEAR*
Birds Of Prey - Hellpreacher

i also reviewed Buried Inside - Spoils Of Failure. you might dig it. the vocals just really grated on me. music was enjoyable.

* er, wait, that's a FEAR album. the word is showing up so much i got confused. "Saved By Fear"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 5951 | This month: 4