11. Thus My Heart Weepeth For Thee
12. In Your Shining Eyes

Top 20 albums of 2000: 5

Additional info
Produced by Flemming Rasmussen.

Guest review by
AndyMetalFreak
Rating:
Saturnus are a band that have been on the scene for a while now, and have made a huge impact on modern-day doom metal. Despite their discography only being relatively short to date, it is a flawless one in my eyes. Their second release Martyre is certainly no exception, as it is considered to be one of the best death doom releases of all time, alongside Veronika Decides To Die.

Read more ››
published 26.12.2021 | Comments (2)

Found in 27 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 869 users
25.12.2010 - 23:40
Mechanist
Account deleted
This is undoubtedly Saturnus' best work to date...truly awesome album...very addictive...
23.01.2013 - 02:11
Rating: 8
Erik M.

Written by Guest on 25.12.2010 at 23:40

This is undoubtedly Saturnus' best work to date...truly awesome album...very addictive...

That's funny, because I think the opposite.

Still a great album though, but suffers from too many (short) tracks and a not every track is of the same quality, in my opinion.
23.01.2013 - 19:13
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
I actually agree with MechanisT my favorite Saturnus album but not by a big margin from their other releases.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
03.05.2013 - 22:53
Erik M.

Written by InnerSelf on 23.01.2013 at 19:13

I actually agree with MechanisT my favorite Saturnus album but not by a big margin from their other releases.

It's beyond me why this album is considered their best. Well, actually it isn't beyond me since this is their most catchy album by far, so that could explain it. Paradise Belongs to You and Saturn in Ascension (my two favourites, in that order) are way less accessible and catchy. But still far better for me because it goes further than these superficial songs. Sorry, I really like this album, but most of the songs on Martyre are a joke compared to the songs on "Paradise" and "Saturn". Keep in mind this is just my opinion.
04.05.2013 - 00:20
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Erik M. on 03.05.2013 at 22:53

It's beyond me why this album is considered their best. Well, actually it isn't beyond me since this is their most catchy album by far, so that could explain it. Paradise Belongs to You and Saturn in Ascension (my two favourites, in that order) are way less accessible and catchy. But still far better for me because it goes further than these superficial songs. Sorry, I really like this album, but most of the songs on Martyre are a joke compared to the songs on "Paradise" and "Saturn". Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

My initial thoughts about Martyre were similar to yours, but with time I grew to love it's variation and quirkiness ... definitely not as monolithic as Paradise but it has an edge with the gothicy vibe and the neo-folk influences that puts it ahead of their other albums for me.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.05.2013 - 00:26
Erik M.

Written by InnerSelf on 04.05.2013 at 00:20

My initial thoughts about Martyre were similar to yours, but with time I grew to love it's variation and quirkiness ... definitely not as monolithic as Paradise but it has an edge with the gothicy vibe and the neo-folk influences that puts it ahead of their other albums for me.

Really? Interesting... however, I've listened to this album a lot (at least 20 times I think) so it's not likely my opinion will change anymore. I actually liked it more at first but the more I listened to it, the less I liked it. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great album (hence the 8 rating) for me, but just incredibly inferior to (especially) Paradise Belongs to You and Saturn in Ascension. However, I do agree this album might have more variety on it than the other albums... pretty strange I think this album is Saturnus' weakest then, because I usually like the most varied stuff. But then again, I like longer epic songs way more than shorter (simple) songs, so it's still not that strange after all.
30.06.2013 - 14:17
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Finally I made my mind, Martyrs songwriting and originality are much superior to Veronika Decides to Die . (I hope I won't change my mind again on this )
15.03.2017 - 13:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
A wonderful masterpiece, brilliant in is own way, nothing better, old good death/doom whit midwinter touches and his chose not growl extremely but a bit sing, hit a nail on it hed. It gave so deep emotions and lyrics are so poetical and deep. Its just perfect harmony, dark cold winter night(do they have those in Köbenhavn?) home alone, great craft beer, solitude, you're alone and spin this CD over and over again. In those days do they have mobile phones. Well if I listen such music I try switch it off.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.04.2018 - 02:50
Rating: 7
Nick Carter

I don't get why the praise for this band. I am sure I am wrong, but I just wanna know exactly why.
----
#MetalIsForEveryone
06.01.2020 - 17:00
Maco
Pvt Funderground
The transition from 7 to Inflame Thy Heart is one of the finest I've ever heard. So beautiful yet simple.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
24.10.2020 - 03:09
Alce

My favorite album from Saturnus
26.11.2021 - 17:36
Rating: 9
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Another very good album, by a very good band, although I prefer Veronika Decides To Die, but tbf that album is just utter perfection.

Hits total: 18668 | This month: 23