Metal Storm logo
Getting Into: Blind Guardian

Written by: Baz Anderson
Published: 26.12.2010

Every once in a blue moon one of these articles comes along. These "Getting Into" articles present a fair, full description of a band's discography of studio albums with a clear rating out of five, as a means of aiding people who want to get into such a band but have no idea where to start. Usually reviews have different authors and are written at different points in time - so this is a clear guide of how to get into the band in question.

Blind Guardian
Power metal
Germany

Blind Guardian are one of the longest running and influential power metal bands out there today, and are responsible for introducing many to the genre. Hansi's iconic vocals may be one of the band's features most accountable for their massive success through the years. Blind Guardian are a German power metal band that draw influence from folk music, but also bands like Queen with grand songs and epic layered vocals. Stylistically the band have changed a little through the years, but the backbone of the band has always remained the same.

Battalions Of Fear (1988)

The band's first full-length album is one of the band's most aggressive and consistently up-tempo. Battalions Of Fear is a fantastically raw album in comparison to the band's later works, but also contains the classic "Majesty" that even today still occasionally finds itself in their live setlists. This album is not representative of the band's works to come, but here with their speed metal origins they still present a solid album of top quality metal.

Follow The Blind (1989)

Just one year later, Follow The Blind picks up where the last album left off. Stylistically and production-wise there is no real difference. This album brings nothing extra to the table, and on the whole is not near the solid quality of the first. "Valhalla" is the landmark song on this album, still being one of the fan favourites today to sing along to live. This is by no means a bad album, but falls far short of the quality the band would raise the bar to in the coming years.

Tales From The Twilight World (1990)

The next year Tales From The Twilight World would be the band's last predominantly speed metal album. This album showed a massive leap in both song writing and quality, and also the sound and production is much increased. This album is perhaps the band's most up-tempo and double-bass-drum-friendly album, but as well as providing good material to headbang to, the songs here are also really memorable. This album showcases some of the best of Blind Guardian's two worlds - the gritty speed metal and catchy power metal.

Somewhere Far Beyond (1992)

In 1992 the band progressed further towards what the band would ultimately become. This album is perhaps the softest the band has ever put out, but even though this album isn't as musically harsh, it is slightly more folk-oriented and musically superior. The songs on this album are top draw, from the fantastic "Time What Is Time" to live favourites "The Quest For Talelorn" and ultimate singalong "The Bard's Song - In The Forest". Along with the amazing title track, Somewhere Far Beyond still remains one of the band's best ever works.

Imaginations From The Other Side (1995)

Three years later and the band found their equilibrium. Arguably, this is the quintessential Blind Guardian album; the best work ever offered from the band. Much harder than the previous album, this album combines their harder edge with the softer, folk edge introduced more prominently in their last album. Each of the nine songs on here are catchy but hard, and most importantly highly enjoyable. Straight and to the point, the band gave us a gem of an album here that sits amongst the highest in power metal, but also amongst the highest of nineties metal in general.

Nightfall In Middle-Earth (1998)

Perhaps the most well-known Blind Guardian album, Nightfall In Middle-Earth is a concept album based on "The Silmarillion". This album has all the hype and has some songs worthy of its reputation, such as "Nightfall", the fantastic "Mirror Mirror" and "Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)". This album has a huge amount of tracks, mostly filler, interlude tracks, and it has a negative effect on the whole flow of the album. With this album, Blind Guardian also started to successfully integrate more symphonic elements, but even with some flashes of genius, this album is far from the masterpiece its reputation has painted it as.

A Night At The Opera (2002)

This is the thickest, most dense Blind Guardian album there is. Each song has got so much orchestration going on, it is a very busy album. This album could be considered as over-produced comparing it to the band's 1990 and 1995 powerful efforts, but it is unique in its place as a Blind Guardian album in that the songs have never felt so thought-out and meticulously, carefully put together. Great songs such as "Battlefield" and the masterpiece that is "And Then There Was Silence" make this album one of the band's greatest to date.

A Twist In The Myth (2006)

Over the years, Blind Guardian have proven that they consistently put out top quality albums. A Twist In The Myth is therefore still a good quality album, but for some reason this album holds nothing memorable or particularly great. This is perhaps the band's worst album, but doesn't have any aspect that can be pinpointed as being the reason for that. This is a pretty average album from a vastly above-average band.

At The Edge Of Time (2010)

The latest edition to Blind Guardian's catalogue is a step up from the previous album, but much like the 2006 effort, this album seems unoriginal and stale. This album is another modern culmination of styles the band has utilised in the past, but there are no moments as great as the band used to offer. Strangely the two standout tracks are the two ballads; "Curse My Name" is a fantastic reminder of how wonderful this band have been in the past, as is "War Of The Thrones".

--

Overview

Regardless of the band's last couple of offerings, it is fair to say Blind Guardian are legends of the genre. On their albums they have been consistently great throughout the years, which is a fantastic achievement considering the band's first album is coming up to being 23 years old. On CD the band are great, but in the live environment, especially surrounded by thousands of people, the experience can be somewhat magical. The live album Live and the DVD Imaginations Through The Looking Glass both do their best to bring that experience to your home, but it has to be experienced yourself in person. This band is held dear to many people, and with good reason. There aren't many bands out there that have proven their quality as this band has, and there aren't many as likeable either.

Written by Barry Anderson

Written on 26.12.2010 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 47   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 484 users
26.12.2010 - 00:39
Darkside Momo
Retired
Good article, Barry, as always in this series.
BUT I just can't agree with your vision of "At The Edge Of Time". While it's certainly not their best album ever - that's for certain - it's still way better than what you make it appear... Sacred World, Tanelorn, or A Voice In The Dark are great, memorable songs, unlike the ballads you mentioned (and just lifeless compared to Mordred's Song).
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
26.12.2010 - 01:30
mikeprado30

Follow The Blind and At The Edge Of Time deserved more points, but is just another nice viewpoint also valid.

Personally I love At The Edge Of Time because this one overwhelmed averything written in Power Metal since 2002 (in my criteria). And Follow The Blind is for myself the toughest album in the family.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
26.12.2010 - 04:25
WorpeX
Made of Metal
When I saw Tales having a higher recommendation than somewhere far beyond I knew something was fishy, but I shrugged it off and read on. Than I saw 3 and half for Nightfall and stopped reading. Sorry but, not only is it their most famous release to date but its also considered by many to be their best. It should have gotten at least 4 and half stars. Hell, even NATO has more stars than it, what the hell?

Its quite obvious this is meant for people who prefer the speed metal version of Guardian and not their more progressive and symphonic works. You could have at least used the MS ratings as a guide for the points given here, they are far more accurate than this is.

The Quintessential Blind Guardian albums are Imaginations from the other side and Nightfall in Middle Earth. I really expected this to represent this, but for some reason, it doesn't. Even seeing the band live once will prove this point.
26.12.2010 - 04:30
Susan
Smeghead
Flip the ratings for A Night at the Opera vs. A Twist in the Myth and I'd agree with this article nearly 100%.

A Night at the Opera has the two brilliant songs you mentioned, but what else? As an album it's crap.

A Twist in the Myth was beautifully cohesive. You say it's difficult to pinpoint why people don't like it but it's actually quite easy to pinpoint. A Twist in the Myth borrowed heavily from 70s cinematic rhythms and harmonic structures (and funk music, for that matter). While the epic/symphonic/folk-inspired/story-telling power metal was still very present, these new features bend the listener's ear in an unexpected direction. Take the beginning of "Fly" and you could be in any 70s action film. Sadly, that's just not metal enough for some people; I loved it though.

Nice article, as a BG fan it was really fun to read. I would have liked to see more discussion about album recommendation though. Your descriptions are great... but maybe suggest an album or two that is best to start. I agree with your assessment of Nightfall In Middle Earth that it's slightly over-rated, yet I still find it a great starter album. It introduces the listener to the intricacies of BG's version of power metal, is tons of fun, and still leaves room for improved enjoyment with the other albums to be explored.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
26.12.2010 - 06:31
Wyrd

Blind Guardian has been my number one band since Somewhere far beyond, so I think I can voice my opinion on this artical and call it more of an opinion peice then an actualy overture of their amazing music. I would never call IFTOS their best effort! i also found it unfortunate that A twist in the myth got the lowest score, though I guess I'm the only one on earth who thinks that album was on a higher level. I also wish this guy could have named "Wheel of time" and "Sacred Worlds" as stand out tracks from thair lates effort. At the edge of time was above average IMO, You could really tell the boys worked hard and gave it their all on this record.

Over all, this artical left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth. But remember this is just a long time listeners opinion and nothing else
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
26.12.2010 - 07:56
zomgmetal
Account deleted
A good article, especially since this is one of my very favorite bands. I would score Nightfall and At the Edge of Time higher, though. Their latest is one of their best in my opinion.
26.12.2010 - 08:31
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Wyrd on 26.12.2010 at 06:31

I also found it unfortunate that A twist in the myth got the lowest score, though I guess I'm the only one on earth who thinks that album was on a higher level.

No! You're not alone I love that album and consider it one of their best works. It's just a little different, which scared some people a bit. I'm sure there are other Twist In The Myth devotees out there besides just us...
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
26.12.2010 - 08:37
Papa_Ray

Personally,

Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind: 3
Tales From the Twilight World: 4
Somewhere Far Beyond: 4.5
Imaginations From the Other Side: 5
Nightfall in Middle-Earth: 5
A Night at the Opera: 3.5
A Twist in the Myth: 4.5
At the Edge of Time: 4

Of course, I still need more time with the new album as I have been listening to all of the other ones for years. Oh, and I think A Twist in the Myth is terribly underrated. It is a wonderful album that shows a different side to the band.
26.12.2010 - 11:24
MetalFreak

Opinions are opinions. Period. At the end of the day it's up to you to decide what you like. A very well done article and a good read, props.

I myself love this band to death. Are they one of my favorite bands to listen to? No. Are they quite possibly one of the best live acts I have ever seen? Fuck Yes!
I won't put in a Blind Guardian cd to casually listen to while I drive. I will drive 400 miles to see them play for almost 2 hours, every fucking time.

I would recommend this band to pretty much anyone. I however would not recommend a certain album to start on, that's silly as this bands sound changes quite a few times. What I would do is recommend certain songs from each album, sort of a greatest hits kind of deal. After that it's up to that person to decide what they like and what they don't.
26.12.2010 - 12:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
For me, the landmark on Follow The Blind is "Banish From Sanctuary"...agreed that Imaginations is probably their very best album, but along with A Night At The Opera and Somewhere Far Beyond as well
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.12.2010 - 15:24
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
Written by Ellrohir on 26.12.2010 at 12:02

For me, the landmark on Follow The Blind is "Banish From Sanctuary"...agreed that Imaginations is probably their very best album, but along with A Night At The Opera and Somewhere Far Beyond as well

And what about "Don't Break The Circle"?
26.12.2010 - 15:26
Bas
Retired Staff
Good article Barry
Especially the part about Imaginations is spot-on, that album is fantastic
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
26.12.2010 - 17:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Although I disagree with a lot of the album placings/scores (though that is purely down to personal opinions anyways lol xD) this is a great article on one of my fave bands ever.

"Imaginations From The Other Side" is actually my fave Blind Guardian album, and am totally with you on it being the quintessential one by them. xD I also agree on "Nightfall..." being a very overrated album with ocassional flashes of brilliance.

I find "Follow The Blind" to be superior to the first album. Its similar in style, but I find the material overall to be much more memorable. I also love the thrashier vibe of it. Pretty much totally agreed on the score and evaluation you gave of "A Night At The Opera". It is very overblown, but the high quality of most of the album's songs still floor me now. The epic "Battlefield", "Sadly Sings Destiny", and the massive anthem "The Soulforged" are really awesome songs, and most of the album is of a similar quality. Definitely one of their most memorable albums.

I think you're a little hard on "A Twist In The Myth" although I agree it is a weak album by Blind Guardian's very high standards. I think the new album is a vast improvement over it. And a great album.

Id probably recommend "Somewhere Far Beyond" or "Imaginations From The Other Side" (which was my first Blind Guardian album) to newcomers to the band. Both albums have a great varied mix of material on them, encompassing most of BG's many sides.

Nice article Baz! xD
26.12.2010 - 17:39
wrathchild

A great article on a great band. I more or less agree with everything you wrote. With the "Getting into" motto in mind, it's clear to me that NATO has to be a step under IFTOS, mostly because the former needs an extra interest in Tokien's work to be fully enjoyed. You would pick IFTOS first to get someone into BG.

To add to your conclusion, it's also very easy to enjoy their live performances because they have chosen the simplicity of naming their songs according to the main chorus. From an artistic point of view, this could be seen as a downside, but it's so much more efficient when it comes to recognize and sing along all those great songs. Definitely one of my favorite live bands - not exactly because of what the band does on stage but because of the magic in there's in the air when the whole crowd is singing!
"Valhalla, delivrance!!!"
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
26.12.2010 - 20:16
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Nice article! Personally, I think the ratings of 'A Twist in the Myth' and 'At the Edge of Time' should be flip-flopped with 'Imaginations from the Other Side' and 'Tales from the Twilight World', respectively. I've been listening to these guys for a long, long time and really think that 'A Twist in the Myth' is their best work to date.
27.12.2010 - 00:36
worm_is_gloaming

Quoting about Nightfall in Middle Earth:
"This album has a huge amount of tracks, mostly filler, interlude tracks, and it has a negative effect on the whole flow of the album."

I very much disagree on this, as when this album is listened in one go from start to finish, the interludes add to the atmosphere and set the mood for the next song, so the ears are not bombarded with track after track of nonstop, diverse music. For a concept album like this, the inclusion of small atmospheric intermezzos was a brilliant idea imho.

"Somewhere Far Beyond" remains underrated in many reviews, but to call it the softest BG album I find strange... It does have a folky, melodic edge, but the production remains somewhat raw and harsh, balancing it out. Puts a somewhat frigid feel to the whole, cold and haunting - but hardly soft. "Nightfall" sounds much softer to me... melody-wise and the sound is much more streamlined.

But to each his own. Disagree on the ratings somewhat, but I like what you wrote And a big YES on "Night at the Opera" being one of their greatest to date!
27.12.2010 - 01:01
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
This is a well-written and generally fair review, but I disagree with the ratings for "Nightfall," "A Twist in the Myth," and "At the Edge of Time." It seems as if everybody who writes about "Nightfall" complains about the interlude bits like that, saying they disrupt the flow and just make for useless filler. That's actually my favorite album of all time, and while it isn't perfect, I think it gets unfairly slammed in that regard. As for "Twist in the Myth" - there were a lot of memorable songs on that, like "Fly," "Another Stranger Me," "Straight Through the Mirror," and "This Will Never End." Certainly it was very different from all of their previous work, but it was a good and necessary change. "At the Edge of Time" was almost a rehashed "Imaginations From the Other Side" - it was a perfect blend of the band's symphonic stylings and the classic hard-edged BG sound we have all come to know and love.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
27.12.2010 - 01:41
Vikcen
Metálico
There goes the brick =)

Well, it is clear that, on one side are those who like more of their side more speed and others who like more of its most progressive and symphonic side, then there are others who just enjoy a few records (or few songs) bup yes really enjoys very much their live concerts, obviously also to others that don't like Blind Guardian, and those who really love the music of Blind Guardian and therefore they have more accessible to taste the most of their different records (remember that each of their albums are really unique and distinct, and hence many times the difference of opinions between the different records, except perhaps the first two discs are the most similar to each other). Probably those who prefer their side more speed will like from "Battalions Of Fear" to "Imaginations From The Other Side", and those who like their side more progressive and symphonic will like more from "Imaginations From The Other Side" to "At The Edge Of Time".

From this we can draw the conclusion that "Imaginations From The Other Side" is the album for all public hehe. But really what we can see is that it isn't a very easy-listening band, despite its success in the metal, i do not consider their music very accessible compared to other great groups of success. In contrast, for me it has reached a point where seeing all the material they have taken until now, i can say that their musical and compositional quality is tremendous, in my opinion I think they have a very high regularity along their discography, and I repeat, even though their albums are very different from each other, and I would be among those people who love almost everything they have done, so that it could say that I like almost equally the following discs, ie the same level, although (again) that are different disks (may be an example for people who are in the same situation as me): "Somewhere Far Beyond", "Imaginations From The Other Side", "Nightfall In Middle-Earth" , "A Night At The Opera" y "At The Edge Of Time", for me these are the great albums of Blind Guardian, and they aren't few. On the other hand i also say, that the two first albums i consider the worst of their discography (perhaps because it is the least melodic of their discography, which is not to be worse either, but a matter of taste), and furthermore i also say that i like very much the albums "Tales From The Twilight World" and "A Twist In The Myth", but are one level below the 5 discs mentioned above.

From here, I can ask questions like what is the best album of them?, for me certainly, "Nightfall In Middle-Earth", his masterpiece, their most risky and most difficult in all his discography, one of the best works of all time in the metal. I can also ask, what record introduced me into Blind Guardian? "A Night At The Opera", an album as said Barry Anderson, very overloaded, the most reloaded of the band, but if you can appreciate it, you'll love. I can also ask, What happens with the album "A Twist In The Myth"? once again a very different album, that creates diversity of different views, in my opinion, mainly because it has the most experimental sound of the band, you can love or hate it =), perhaps the most different sound of his discography, the sound of Hansi's voice, the sound of guitars, new battery (which by the way, this guy plays the songs perfectly in concert), etc, etc, personally I love this album, but i might not withstand another record in the same way, with one already is enough =). And finally, the last record "At The Edge Of Time" i would classify it as the most symphonic, and one of the most progressive of his career, which shows a impressively greatness, returning to a sound more in the line of Blind Guardian... really has been a very great surprise for me, thank goodness!

With all that said, it would be like this the way i would recommend their staff, more or less.

Conclusion, here are my ratings =):

Tales From the Twilight World: 4.4
Somewhere Far Beyond: 4.7
Imaginations From the Other Side: 4.9
A Night at the Opera: 4.8
A Twist in the Myth: 4.1
At the Edge of Time: 4.6

About Barry's article, i like more the comments of each albums than their respective ratings =), good job.

---------------
I would like to put the translation in Spanish, if it is a problem, i can edit and delete this part:
---------------

Ahí va el ladrillaco =)

Bueno, esta claro que, por un lado están los que gustan mas de su lado mas speed y otros que gustan mas de su lado mas progresivo y sinfónico, luego hay otros que solo disfrutan de algunos discos (o algunas canciones) pero si disfrutan mucho de su directo en conciertos, obviamente también a los que nos les gusta para nada Blind Guardian, y están los que aman realmente la música de Blind Guardian y por lo tanto tienen mas accesible degustar la mayoría de sus diferentes discos (no olvidemos que cada uno de sus albums son realmente únicos y distintos, y de ahí muchas veces la diferencia de opiniones entre sus diferentes discos, salvo tal vez los dos primeros discos que son los mas parecidos entre si). Probablemente los que prefieren su lado mas speed, les gustaran mas los discos desde "Battalions Of Fear" hasta "Imaginations From The Other Side", y a los que les guste su lado mas progresivo y sinfónico les gustara mas desde "Imaginations From The Other Side" hasta "At The Edge Of Time".

De aquí podemos sacar la conclusión de que "Imaginations From The Other Side" es el disco para todos los públicos hehe. Pero realmente lo que podemos ver es que no es una banda precisamente fácil de escuchar, a pesar de su éxito dentro del Metal, no considero su música muy accesible, en comparación con otros grandes grupos de éxito. En cambio para mi ha llegado un punto en que viendo todo el material que han sacado hasta la fecha, puedo decir que su calidad musical y compositiva es de una calidad tremenda, en mi opinión los considero que tienen una regularidad muy alta a lo largo de su discografía, y vuelvo a repetir, a pesar de que sus discos son muy diferentes entre si, y yo me encontraría entre esa gente que ama casi todo lo que han hecho, por tanto dicho esto, podría decir que me gustan casi por igual los siguientes discos, es decir en el mismo nivel, a pesar (repito) de que son discos diferentes (de paso puede servir de ejemplo para la gente que esta en el mismo caso que yo): "Somewhere Far Beyond", "Imaginations From The Other Side", "Nightfall In Middle-Earth" , "A Night At The Opera" y "At The Edge Of Time", para mi estos son los grandes discos de Blind Guardian, y no son pocos. Por otro lado también digo, que los dos primeros discos los considero lo peor de su discografía (tal vez porque es la parte de su discografía menos melódica, con lo cual no es que sean peores tampoco, sino una cuestión de gustos), y por otro lado también digo que me gustan muchísimo los discos "Tales From The Twilight World" y "A Twist In The Myth", pero están un nivel por debajo de los 5 discos anteriormente mencionados.

A partir de aquí, yo puedo hacerme preguntas como ¿cual es el mejor disco de ellos?, para mi sin duda, "Nightfall In Middle-Earth", la obra cumbre, su obra maestra, su obra mas arriesgada y mas difícil en toda su discografía, una de las mejores obras de todos los tiempos dentro del Metal. También puedo preguntarme, ¿que disco me introdujo dentro de Blind Guardian?, "A Night At The Opera", un disco como bien dice Barry Anderson, muy recargado, el mas recargado de su discografía, pero que si sabes apreciarlo, te enamorará. También puedo preguntarme, ¿Que sucede con el disco "A Twist In The Myth"? una vez mas un disco muy diferente, y que crea diversidad de opiniones diferentes, en mi opinión, principalmente porque tiene el sonido mas experimental de toda su discografía, que puedes amar o odiar =), quizás el sonido mas diferente, el sonido en la voz de Hansi, el sonido de las guitarras, nuevo batería (que por cierto, este tío lo clava en concierto), etc, etc, personalmente a mi me encanta este disco, pero no podría soportar otro disco igual, con uno ya es suficiente =). Y ya para terminar, el último disco "At The Edge Of Time" lo clasificaría como el más sinfónico, y uno de los mas progresivos de su carrera, que desprende una grandeza impresionante, volviendo a un sonido mas en la linea de Blind Guardian? en definitiva ha sido una grandísima sorpresa para mi, menos mal!

Con todo esto dicho, seria así esta la forma de como yo recomendaría su material, mas o menos.

Conclusión, ahí van mis notas =):

Tales From the Twilight World: 4.4
Somewhere Far Beyond: 4.7
Imaginations From the Other Side: 4.9
A Night at the Opera: 4.8
A Twist in the Myth: 4.1
At the Edge of Time: 4.6

Sobre el articulo de Barry, me gusta mas los comentarios de cada disco que sus respectivas notas =) , buen trabajo.
27.12.2010 - 09:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Susan on 26.12.2010 at 04:30

Flip the ratings for A Night at the Opera vs. A Twist in the Myth and I'd agree with this article nearly 100%.

A Night at the Opera has the two brilliant songs you mentioned, but what else? As an album it's crap.

A Twist in the Myth was beautifully cohesive. You say it's difficult to pinpoint why people don't like it but it's actually quite easy to pinpoint. A Twist in the Myth borrowed heavily from 70s cinematic rhythms and harmonic structures (and funk music, for that matter). While the epic/symphonic/folk-inspired/story-telling power metal was still very present, these new features bend the listener's ear in an unexpected direction. Take the beginning of "Fly" and you could be in any 70s action film. Sadly, that's just not metal enough for some people; I loved it though.

A Night At The Opera had songs with at least some kind of climax. I like a few songs from At The Edge Of Time, but for the most part, the past 2 albums seemed really aimless to me.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.12.2010 - 11:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
A Night At The Opera? "Sadly Sings Destiny", "The Maiden And The Minstrel Knight", "The Soulforged", "Punishment Divine"...plus "And Then There Was Silence" which is one of their very best songs and it alone takes 1/4 of the album
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

27.12.2010 - 12:41
Luneth
Account deleted
I've listened to Imaginations From The Other Side a few times and really can't see what the fuss about it is o.o, I preferred their speed power albums, Tales From Twilight World being number one.
28.12.2010 - 03:13
Mountain King
K i K o
Somehow i can't listen to a BG album in a single session and instead i only choose the good songs. Although I love Power Metal specially German Power and any metal from Germany, BG never was the best band to me. I have their Imaginations Through The Looking Glass DVD and it's great. Amazing musicians and they are very talented it's just that their style isn't typically my favorite. Their reputation made me listen to them over and over again although i still don't get why people love them THAT MUCH. I mean they are good, but some songs are just so annoying. I got the Night At The Opera album a few years back and i can honestly say that it's the worst album in my collection well one of the worst. Nightfall in middle earth on the other hand is good, i like 3 or 4 songs from that album and the other albums contain about 2 very good songs for me, and not more than that. I would prefer many German Power Metal bands over BG (Helloween, Primal Fear, Gamma Ray ,Freedom Call, Avantasia, At Vance, Edguy, Silent Force etc...). I think the over production of their songs and the use of intensive orchestration just ruins the mood of the songs. Anyway i still like that Power Metal has famous bands...
28.12.2010 - 05:16
Wyrd

Written by Susan on 26.12.2010 at 08:31

Written by Wyrd on 26.12.2010 at 06:31

I also found it unfortunate that A twist in the myth got the lowest score, though I guess I'm the only one on earth who thinks that album was on a higher level.

No! You're not alone I love that album and consider it one of their best works. It's just a little different, which scared some people a bit. I'm sure there are other Twist In The Myth devotees out there besides just us...

Yes! I agree with you. A lot of fans weather they accept it or not, are a little close minded when it comes to change. I wish more people would really try and sit down and listen to A twist in the myth and get rid of the "It's not metal enough' thoughts and get into the thing that maters, the music itself. Blind Guardian have one of the most diverse catalogues I know and I always find something amazing in all their works. But unfortunatly people like to complane a lot about how some of their stuff is in a differnt musical direction. But if they stayed the same all these years then people would say "All their shit sounds the same!" You can;t make everyone happy.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
28.12.2010 - 05:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Wyrd on 28.12.2010 at 05:16
Yes! I agree with you. A lot of fans weather they accept it or not, are a little close minded when it comes to change. I wish more people would really try and sit down and listen to A twist in the myth and get rid of the "It's not metal enough' thoughts and get into the thing that maters, the music itself. Blind Guardian have one of the most diverse catalogues I know and I always find something amazing in all their works. But unfortunatly people like to complane a lot about how some of their stuff is in a differnt musical direction. But if they stayed the same all these years then people would say "All their shit sounds the same!" You can;t make everyone happy.

I for one wont accept that, because its simply not true. "A Night At The Opera" features the biggest and most radical change the band ever made to its sound, and I love almost everythng on that album. So that accusation, is far too much of a generalisation (and a wrong one) to apply to every fan who doesn't think "A Twist In The Myth" is a great album. If me criticising that album was purely down to being "narrow minded to change", surely Id be much harder on the previous album, which was far more of a bold step out of their comfort zone (and "less metal" *rollseyes*) than "A Twist...." was. I dont think it's a bad album... "Otherland", "Carry The Blessed Home", "Another Stranger Me" and "This Will Never End" are amazing to me, and actually among my fave Blind Guardian songs. For me, its just too patchy and disjointed an album as a whole for me to be able to class it among their best works. *shrugs*
28.12.2010 - 08:39
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.12.2010 at 05:45

"A Night At The Opera" features the biggest and most radical change the band ever made to its sound, and I love almost everythng on that album.

"A Twist In The Myth", it's an album much more modern compared to its more classic status how are their previous albums, as can be for example "A Night At The Opera", although this record is in effect a disc with a radical change as you well say, still has its classic touch. =)
28.12.2010 - 12:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Vikcen on 28.12.2010 at 08:39
"A Twist In The Myth", it's an album much more modern compared to its more classic status how are their previous albums, as can be for example "A Night At The Opera", although this record is in effect a disc with a radical change as you well say, still has its classic touch. =)

I think "A Twist In The Myth" is style wise, closer to their other albums than "A Night At The Opera" is. "Twist..." is a little bit different, but the real radical change for them in style was with "A Night At The Opera". Its very layered, more overblown and extravagant, and for the most part, not as metallic as their other albums. Including "A Twist In The Myth", which I think is definitely a heavier album than it's predecessor. So I really dont accept Falconer's assertions as far as people being critical of "Twist..." goes. At least not for me. lol
28.12.2010 - 15:50
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Good article, but I don't think that the last two albums were that bad.
----
28.12.2010 - 18:24
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.12.2010 at 12:07

Written by Vikcen on 28.12.2010 at 08:39

I think "A Twist In The Myth" is style wise, closer to their other albums than "A Night At The Opera" is. "Twist..." is a little bit different, but the real radical change for them in style was with "A Night At The Opera". Its very layered, more overblown and extravagant, and for the most part, not as metallic as their other albums. Including "A Twist In The Myth", which I think is definitely a heavier album than it's predecessor. So I really dont accept Falconer's assertions as far as people being critical of "Twist..." goes. At least not for me. lol

Yes... indeed, ANATO was a change. I still remember when it was released, and you could see many fans of Blind Guardian in this way: but what the hell is this?!?! haha =)
28.12.2010 - 23:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Finaly read , ther eno need repeast what I think about band I adore it till Nighfall album, after it simply Its not for me, early speed metal, becaim good power sand turn into suchly flower, its classic band maybe best Tolkien isniprated band out there but i disagree about Majesty, because its Run For A Night ...realy good band and rewiew, I wont go true all comments , but I just lsiten 1thg 4 albums last sunday, always band brings up positive sunshine, realy I love this bands early works
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.12.2010 - 17:09
atkmetal123

Great review Barry but I think it's little bit unfair for At The Edge Of Time , is a great album in my opinion . And A Twist Of A Myth too !

Hits total: 13584 | This month: 25