Metal Storm logo
Mike Portnoy Tribute Album - Free Download Available

Official press release

Independent musicians, graphic artists, and a computer graphics demogroup have collaborated on a grand scale multimedia tribute to drummer Mike Portnoy (Transatlantic, ex-Dream Theater, ex-Avenged Sevenfold, ex-Liquid Tension Experiment), in celebration of over a quarter of a century of highly influential musicianship.

Mike Portnoy's early investment into the internet, as well as his relationship with the global fan base, created a fad-transcending musical community that continues to grow past the post quarter century mark. Mike Portnoy has always possessed a strong commitment to bringing a diverse lineup of "under the radar" support bands on the road. These tours introduced hundreds of thousands to some truly genre-defining music, and inspired a new generation with music that would have otherwise remained outside the public view.

"Mike, over the years, has fueled an online community with tireless energy and effort, of which it has been a pleasure to be a part of. Members of the community feel that paying some of that energy forward is the least they could do to show their appreciation," says compilation producer Anthony Morse.

Click here to see a bigger picture of the album cover art.

The multimedia tribute appears in the form of a free three disc digital album, interviews, and some stunning music videos graphically generated by the legendary Greek demogroup Andromeda Software Development.

Honor Thy Drummer: A Tribute to Mike Portnoy contains 3 digital discs, 2 new, and a bonus 2009 retrospective disc featuring choice selections from the previous digital release MPF 2009. Honor Thy Drummer features a diverse range of styles and approaches, drawing inspiration from Mr. Portnoy's award winning approach to music, created by acts inspired by his musical influence. The resulting music seamlessly crosses many musical boundaries weaving from heavy time-spanning progressive metal to concise folk.

The Honor Thy Drummer multimedia collection is available for free download at this location. It contains the digital album in MP3 format, a digital PDF booklet featuring photos, lyrics, and bios of the contributing artists. Two of three interviews with contributing artists Relocator, In Progress, and S.A. Adams, are included, and shed light on their collaborations with progressive metal superstars Derek Sherinian, Mark Zonder, and Mike Portnoy himself, all of whom play on the artists' tracks featured in Honor Thy Drummer. The third interview will be released in January.

The scope of this endeavor reaches across the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia, and the American continent. This project, fueled by the hard work and dedication of all of the participants, resulted in a quality work free to the world, and without the complications of revenue generation. The collection is, simply put, a high quality independent project available freely to all that desire the audio/visual experience.

More info and downloads available at this location.

Source: spaceprog.com
Posted: 27.12.2010 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 10   Visited by: 210 users
27.12.2010 - 14:47
Iriki

OMG Bad Salad in line-up, They are freakin' AWESOME.
27.12.2010 - 15:17
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Wonder if they're doing this as a way to try and convince Portnoy to rejoin Dream Theater...
27.12.2010 - 15:20
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 27.12.2010 at 15:17

Wonder if they're doing this as a way to try and convince Portnoy to rejoin Dream Theater...

It's not Portnoy they need to convince but the members of DT. They refused to take him back.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
27.12.2010 - 21:48
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I hope this album is just three hours of drums tracks. Now that'd be dank.
27.12.2010 - 21:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Interesting. Maybe I'll check it out. Like the name in reference to a DT song.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.12.2010 - 00:08
Symmachus

This is very weird timing for a tribute album to Mike Portnoy, but this seems cool.
28.12.2010 - 00:51
Minkaro

I downloaded an album with a load of these songs on it ages ago. (It was another free download, so it was legal).

Yeah, checking my files, I got it in December 2009, it's called MPF 2009 Free 5 Disc Digital Album, and it has loads of these songs on it. This is basically just a recycled copy of that with a few new songs.
28.12.2010 - 14:54
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Yes, weird timing indeed.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.12.2010 - 16:06
antmanix

Only the third disc, which is a 2009 retrospective includes songs from the MPF 2009 disc. The compilation, which began production in July, contains two full discs of new content. The timing is unfortunate, but the release date has been Dec 25th since the summer. Nevertheless, I hope this work is judged simply by the music contained therein, as it if free for all to enjoy.

Thanks,

Anthony Morse
-Producer Honor Thy Drummer
28.12.2010 - 17:28
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I'm listening to this right now

Hits total: 5268 | This month: 7