Metal Storm logo
Now reading (post your critics)

Original post

Posted by Sekhmet, 17.05.2006 - 21:11
This thread used to exist in the old forum and it was something I was quite interested in. So let's keep on with it

I'll just copy-paste my old first post so you get an idea of the point of this thread :

Here you'll be able to present to other metalstormers the book(s) you're reading at the moment. I don't want this to become a junkyard thread like "now playing" or whatever!
It's different from the "favourite book" thread. The aim is to provide other readers with a good presentation of the book (without telling the story with every detail : ), what you think about it : in a word, a critic. this could be interesting IMO!

I'll start with Baudolino by Umberto Eco. I've just finished reading it.

I guess you know Umberto Eco is the author of The Name of the Rose (maybe better known by the movie with Sean Connery) or Foucault's Pendulum. Those were the only books by him I had read before starting Baudolino. In this book you can find the usual historical background, kinda mysterious.
Here you follow Baudolino through his tale. He was Barbarossa's man, a tricky character, liar, mischievous. But his lies, to some extent, always come true... you follow him wandering, looking for a semi-mythical realm (Priest Johannes' Kingdom) in order to protect and increase his emperor Barbarossa's fame and power. Fake relics, Barbarossa's murder, politics and myths...

I found this book very enjoyable, as much interesting as Eco's other books I had read, and kinda more comic, light-hearted. Baudolino tells his story to a Greek historian, it'a all between confession and tale, he claims to be a liar so you never know if he's being sincere or not! the beginnig may be a bit long to get into, but the whole book (666 pages ) is definitely worth reading!
01.04.2023 - 14:28
Joppe
Steelemeister
Gitanjali by Rabindranath Tagore, Finnish translation, I'm not familiar with Bengali language and I couldn't find english translation from the library, so this is what had to go with.

Basically it's just a book of poems, and short ones at such. I read only read a few by now, but I'm really impressed by them so far. Tagore had really good grasp of hinduism and the concept of brahman, I do believe it was justified to give him an acknowledgement such as the nobel prize that people would know about his works. I don't usually read books like these, but some of them convince me to continue, (another one is, of course, The Prophet by Khalil Gibran).
----
My vision is augmented
29.03.2024 - 12:56
Joppe
Steelemeister
Sinuhe Egyptiläinen by Mika Waltari

I wasn't meant to acquire any new books, I just happened to find this one for free and by chance. Some folks here in Finland have said I should read it, it's some sort of a classic literature here from 1940s -- probably translated to other languages as well. I usually tend not to do folks say so I just read what seemed right at the moment and I only just in 2024 got in to this book. It seems an interesting one at the beginning with some deep insights from the author. I'm not sure if I will ever finish it, but the book has had some impact on me already: the author has pretty similar views to some things as myself -- I don't want to spoil anything-- if anyone here wants to read it, I won't comment about the content.

The problem here is that the book is divided in two parts, and I only got the part one. So let's see what happens with the other part. I'm, as sure as hell, not going to buy second part, so if it comes to my way, I will proceed there.
----
My vision is augmented
29.03.2024 - 18:46
Metal Rasputin

Kalevala

The national epic of Finland. In reality it's mostly just random poems connected by something the collector made up, but whatever. The language is Eastern Finnish and Karelian, so the text is very rich and colorful expression-wise, and it makes the book heavy to read for a West Coast Finn. Kalevala is still surprisingly enjoyable and fun book.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!